Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
OEL actually fits Tre’s template, from last year anyway. Not sure I love it.
Reilly is still a good pp option, just split up him and Mitch.
Lili did well on the first pp when Mo was hurt

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Would be interesting going into the season with a new shiny defense.

Rielly. Tanev
Mccabe. Zadorov
Benoit. OEL

There may be limited offense but hard to say they arent a gritty tough crew to play against.

Not sure what Brad will be able to do for the forwards. Need a lot of pieces/kids to take roles and succeed. 😞

Knies. Matthews. Marner
Robertson. Tavares. Nylander
Cowan. Minton. Jarnkrok
Holmberg. Kampf. Gregor
Dewar. Reaves
I like it. Missing McMann on the F lines though and he is a player

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
I’m actually okay with a slight overpay on Zadarov. He is really intriguing. An absolute mutant, and better offensively than you’d think.

I don’t want OEL though. He’s a left hand shot, aging, and will likely get a raise. I would take a run at Carrier instead, if we are trading Lily that is.

Rielly - Tanev
Zadarov - McCabe
Benoit - Carrier

It’s certainly a little underwhelming but it’s better than last year.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If we bring in Tanev, Zadorov and OEL that's got to cost 12-13M over the 3 guys, even if we move Liljegren that's a ton of money

2-3M for a goaltender

Where's the money for the likes of Domi or Bertuzzi?

Reactions: aingefan

afcleafs

Mar 9, 2024
Honestly, once we find a RHD partner for Mo (i.e., Tanev), I'd much rather spend any remaining cap space on a goalie and a top 9 centre to split duties with JT.

Our problem has not been keeping pucks out of the net or even toughness these past two years. It has been scoring when it matters.

We haven't had a threat from the point since Cody Franson.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Why is there no talk of Montour? RHD that can run the PP

I wouldn't say a guy who broke 40 points just once before his 30th birthday is a guy who can "run the PP". He really is no better than Rielly in that regard.

I'd sign him if he'd take a contract in the low to mid 6 million range. No interest in close to 7 or above.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I think we're going to be relying a lot on young forwards taking steps this year. Knies, Robertson, maybe Grebyonkin/Minten/Cowan. Maybe some cheaper veteran talent to fill some gaps.

Defense and goaltending need most of the cash.

All of this is barring a Marner trade. That changes the whole dynamic.

Reactions: aingefan

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Boston getting Zadorov could turn into a nightmare for us.

maybe it's cope after realizing we might get him but I'm talking myself into it after initially recoiling at the suggestion

- was 3rd in Canucks ice time during the playoffs and played his best hockey of the year in the postseason
- some defensemen have their best seasons at his age, approaching 30. Size made development slower
- I'd hate to play against him in the playoffs if he went to Boston
- it would be fun to have a mutant that can drive opposing players through the boards and laugh about it. If it's a mistake signing, at least it's a fun one

Just wish he were a RHD as we're potentially staring down another season of one RHD in the top 6 assuming they miss on Roy. Would like to hear about Carrier interest but not so far.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Friedman predicts 6 years at 4 million for Tanev

That is disgusting......I wanted it to be like 3.5 if we're giving him unreal term
I don't think $4 million per season is much of a problem. That's pretty much the going rate for second-pairing defensemen, and within a couple of years it will be a small percentage of the cap. The Leafs can simply buy out the last couple of years if need be. This guy will instantly stabilize the defense.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I'd prefer Zadorov OR Tanev with Roy. A bit disappointed if it ends up being just those two.
2 top 4 defensemen and a 2C is the dream IMO.

It will suck to lose Domi and Bertuzzi but defence and center is priority IMO.

1) Tanev
2) Stephenson
3) Roy/Zadorov/Pesce - Edmundson would be an ok consolation prize but he's more of a #5.
4) Goalie

This is my current wish list.

Reactions: Jmo89

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
maybe it's cope after realizing we might get him but I'm talking myself into it after initially recoiling at the suggestion

- was 3rd in Canucks ice time during the playoffs and played his best hockey of the year in the postseason
- some defensemen have their best seasons at his age, approaching 30. Size made development slower
- I'd hate to play against him in the playoffs if he went to Boston
- it would be fun to have a mutant that can drive opposing players through the boards and laugh about it. If it's a mistake signing, at least it's a fun one

Just wish he were a RHD as we're potentially staring down another season of one RHD in the top 6 assuming they miss on Roy. Would like to hear about Carrier interest but not so far.
Zadorov is simply a much better player than many choose to believe. Fans will love him in a hurry. But north of 5 will be hard to swallow

Last edited:

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Not sure I like the Tanev signing. 6 years for a guy that is starting the season at age 35? Has disaster written all over it. Also, what the hell is Tampa thinking? Getting rid of Jeannot, I get it, but Sergachev as well? Not sure how an older Ryan McDonagh is gonna help them.

Reactions: supermann_98

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad