Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Definitely can't support any roster with all 5 of Rielly, Marner, JT, Matthews and Nylander on it.

Too many times have they basically just tried to fix literally everything else.

At some point, it is what it is, they aren't winners, hopefully the ones you just extended in Matthews and 88 can work if you get different 2nd line guys and an improved blueline.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Liking good players or accepting 8 years of failure and continuing to try the same thing?
No changes in expectation, but they are not going to tank either. I wished for a re-tool, but I don't have a boss like Shanny looking over my shoulder.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Really sucks loosing out on Thompson and Marino, those two would have helped solve two major issues.

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Marino

Thompson - Woll - Jones

Would have been happy with those and the costs weren’t big.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd prefer Zadorov OR Tanev with Roy. A bit disappointed if it ends up being just those two.

I mean

Rielly-Tanev

Zadorov-McCabe

looks pretty good to me

we wanted the defense rebuilt, I think that would qualify.

I am wondering what they are going to do on offense I mean Bertuzzi and Domi are still set to be UFA

I'm hoping for some combonation of Perron, Skinner and Debrusk

Reactions: Kurtz and Roo

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Definitely can't support any roster with all 5 of Rielly, Marner, JT, Matthews and Nylander on it.

Too many times have they basically just tried to fix literally everything else.

At some point, it is what it is, they aren't winners, hopefully the ones you just extended in Matthews and 88 can work if you get different 2nd line guys and an improved blueline.

I think you have to break it down.
Matthews and Nylander are newly minted extensions, full NMC.
Rielly is a top pairing defenseman all day every day and generally a playoff performer on a good contract, so moving him seems counter productive.
JT you would move if you could, but his NMC gets in the way there.
Marner likely same sentiment that you would move him, but we know he's not willing to waive.

If they all have NMCs, I'm not sure it's fair for us to expect this can be solved this summer.

Listened to the new 32 thoughts pod

Tanev getting at least 6 years, no surprise

Confirms we’re interested in Zadorov and OEL. He thinks Zadorov is between us and Boston

Interesting. Hadn't seen that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sizzle

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think you have to break it down.
Matthews and Nylander are newly minted extensions, full NMC.
Rielly is a top pairing defenseman all day every day and generally a playoff performer on a good contract, so moving him seems counter productive.
JT you would move if you could, but his NMC gets in the way there.
Marner likely same sentiment that you would move him, but we know he's not willing to waive.

If they all have NMCs, I'm not sure it's fair for us to expect this can be solved this summer.

Our PP with Rielly as the QB has been garbage every playoff except the Tampa one. I'm not a big Rielly fan, can't put him in a match up situation because he's not good enough defensively, he's not all that fast anymore and he's not dynamic offensively, muffin of a shot.

JT you basically have to wait out - don't bring him back

Trade Marner if you can but don't bring him back.

Reactions: arso40

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Listened to the new 32 thoughts pod

Tanev getting at least 6 years, no surprise

Confirms we’re interested in Zadorov and OEL. He thinks Zadorov is between us and Boston
would we prefer overpaying for the mutant or having to potentially play him in the playoffs over the next half decade

Reactions: Kurtz

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Roy
OEL - Liljegren
Benoit

I like the setup of that blueline. We would drastically improve the right side of the blueline and add some puck movement in Roy/OEL while still staying patient with Lilly under a new coach. I was one of Benoits bigger supporters last season and he played well but I dont think its the end of the world if hes our #7.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
It doesn’t they’re moving Lily

They need puck movement on the back end and a PP presence
I always hear his name, but he seems to be like a Rielly in terms of offensive prowess (when looking at their career points and season by season). I assume I am missing something? On a good Florida team, he only had 32 points.

If it's because he was largely lower in the the lineup... Doesn't that mean that on a contender (winner), he should be that low in the line up?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Tre needs to go get Weegar. Idgaf what it costs. Ideally Marner for futures and those futures for Weegar
Weegar was pretty ass in the playoffs for panthers

He was part of the booted out core along with hoffman, huberdeau, matheson, and Dadanov that the panthers kicked out and replaced with Tkachuk, Montour, Verhaghe, Reinhart

Id personally target Rasmus Andersson from the flames

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Would be interesting going into the season with a new shiny defense.

Rielly. Tanev
Mccabe. Zadorov
Benoit. OEL

There may be limited offense but hard to say they arent a gritty tough crew to play against.

Not sure what Brad will be able to do for the forwards. Need a lot of pieces/kids to take roles and succeed. 😞

Knies. Matthews. Marner
Robertson. Tavares. Nylander
Cowan. Minton. Jarnkrok
Holmberg. Kampf. Gregor
Dewar. Reaves

Reactions: Kurtz

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
OEL actually fits Tre’s template, from last year anyway. Not sure I love it.
Reilly is still a good pp option, just split up him and Mitch.
Lili did well on the first pp when Mo was hurt.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Rielly, McCabe and Benoit already on the left side. If we sign OEL he’s a third pair and PP dman. Given the age on our blueline, I like having Benoit in there.

You want someone who can play in all situations, go big game hunting and sign Skjei.

Reactions: aingefan

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Honestly, once we find a RHD partner for Mo (i.e., Tanev), I'd much rather spend any remaining cap space on a goalie and a top 9 centre to split duties with JT.

Our problem has not been keeping pucks out of the net or even toughness these past two years. It has been scoring when it matters.

Reactions: aingefan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad