Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Tanev is 34 man. I think he IS done. He is really injury prone too. At least it isn't a 35+ contract I gues......
Did you watch him at all on Dallas this year? I get he’s older, but he was a warrior for them and played quite well for Dallas.

That’s the positive thing about Tanev being 34, he can retire at any point of the contract without any penalty’s.

I’m quite fine giving him 6-7 years if it keeps the AAV way lower and he suddenly decides to retire.

The team needs to do whatever it can to win in the next 4 years. If Tanev isn’t serviceable after 3 or 4 years it doesn’t really matter if 34 walks.

Reactions: Forgotusername

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Treliving likely loves Gudbranson. Don't be surprised if they try to get him with retention.

They are also shopping Provorov

Not a big fan of Provorov for a number of reasons but he would be a lightly distressed asset who could pay off for Toronto. He also falls into that career prime sweet spot so if the price is right it could make sense.

Reactions: Eye Test

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I think zadorov is pretty much guaranteed to be a leaf. Just like tanev, Treliving clearly has certain guys that he wants.

Reactions: bax

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You need 1 more defenseman besides Tanev and Zadorov that is better than anyone on the roster to make everything else look better.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Not sure I understand. They need to replace men they are letting go to ufa, and they are trying to get better ones
You don't understand?

I'll put it this way then: Since 2016-2017 - literally every single roster players has been changed except 4. The entire roster has been turned over multiple times. Only one constant - Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly.

Getting the vibes that we are just running in back up front with different defense and a new goalie
You can't expect anything from a risk-averse status quo loving organization like the Leafs.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
You don't understand?

I'll put it this way then: Since 2016-2017 - literally every single roster players has been changed except 4. The entire roster has been turned over multiple times. Only one constant - Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly.

You can't expect anything from a risk-averse status quo loving organization like the Leafs.
I just don’t understand what this has to do with the leafs signing defensemen. Whether or not the change core players you still need to sign some d to fill out roster spots.

Reactions: bax

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Should just go get Montour or Roy depending on if you want to replace Rielly on the PP or if you want to form a shutdown line with McCabe.

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Roy
Benoit-???

McCabe-Montour
Rielly-Tanev
Benoit-???

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
You don't understand?

Of those 4 players, 2 of them have consistently been the key cogs in our special teams and ES transition that keeps getting abused every single playoffs. The roster keeps changing but we keep losing the same way because the same guys are responsible for carrying the puck and quarterbacking the PP.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I just don’t understand what this has to do with the leafs signing defensemen. Whether or not the change core players you still need to sign some d to fill out roster spots.
What are you even talking about? I'm responding to a post of yours where you directly replied to a tweet about Marner.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
McCabe is a decent #4/5 guy. He only seems better than that because of who he is surrounded by in Toronto.

Gudbranson is a decent #4/5 guy.
Gudbranson is everything this forum thought Schenn was before he got traded back to Toronto

Getting the vibes that we are just running in back up front with different defense and a new goalie
Yup. I hit like cause I agree with the feeling, despite it being a shit idea. Tried different D's and G's how many times??

Reactions: WTFMAN99

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
That’s a pretty mediocre blue line. Don’t see the Leafs doing much in the playoffs, again.
Yeah, not sure if I’m really happy with it. I’d personally prefer Roy over Zadorov but I can see Tre blowing his load on Zadorov.

Tre going after Tanev and Zadorov the moment he can was the worst kept secret, similar to signing Reaves last year…

Reactions: Zero1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad