Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Yeah the "Goalies are voodoo" thing is very real. Hard to predict where to put your faith or cap space. Only a handful of sure thing studs out there, and a second handful of "maybe stud maybe stump". Oil fans skewered Skinner all year but he was one goal short of the prize.

I am mentally done with trying to figure out goalies.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
That's true. And in these situations GMs tend to lean more towards the more 'proven' guy. Shelf life of a GM may not be more than 5 years in a lot of cases which also influenced decisions like this

I'd imagine Askarov is traded in the next few years sooner than later. He's going to want to be a full starter is development stays on track.
Demko, Shesterkin, and others took over at age 25ish. Askarov could too and they dump Saros when they know for sure

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
IF It's true that Ekblad is available Treliving needs to ask ask what the price is and pay it because Ekblad would solve A LOT especially if they managed to keep McCabe.

Ekblad doesn't solve everything you'd still need another piece but Ekblad would be a HUGE addition

Reactions: JKG33 and TMLAM34

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
IF It's true that Ekblad is available Treliving needs to ask ask what the price is and pay it because Ekblad would solve A LOT especially if they managed to keep McCabe.

Ekblad doesn't solve everything you'd still need another piece but Ekblad would be a HUGE addition
I’ve been saying marner and lil for ekblad , hem and knight for a little bit now

Leaf’s got top pair rhd , playmaking prospect and a young goalie that could still prove to be a great player or the next campbell

Florida get a catalyst for their pp and resign montour

Reactions: ToneDog

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Demko, Shesterkin, and others took over at age 25ish. Askarov could too and they dump Saros when they know for sure

I don't think you sign a goalie to almost 8 mil for 8 years with a plan to dump him half way through the contract.

Unless Askarov can prove quickly he's a tier above Saros in the coming years, id wager he's the one out the door.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I don't think you sign a goalie to almost 8 mil for 8 years with a plan to dump him half way through the contract.

Unless Askarov can prove quickly he's a tier above Saros in the coming years, id wager he's the one out the door.
What's the alternative? Goalies have no trade value. So you trade Saros for an irrelevant return and hope for the best with Askarov who's extremely unproven?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What's the alternative? Goalies have no trade value. So you trade Saros for an irrelevant return and hope for the best with Askarov who's extremely unproven?

No I think they'll just trade Askarov for whatever return they can. They can wait a couple years to try and find the right place/time to do so, but imo that contract shows that Trotz made his choice about the future of their goaltending, and he'll have to live/deal with the consequences of that choice

Reactions: ACC1224

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
No I think they'll just trade Askarov for whatever return they can. They can wait a couple years to try and find the right place/time to do so, but imo that contract shows that Trotz made his choice about the future of their goaltending, and he'll have to live/deal with the consequences of that choice
If someone wants to overpay for him sure. But there's 0 downside to sitting on this for another few years and seeing how it plays out

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I’ve been saying marner and lil for ekblad , hem and knight for a little bit now

Leaf’s got top pair rhd , playmaking prospect and a young goalie that could still prove to be a great player or the next campbell

Florida get a catalyst for their pp and resign montour

I'm still skeptical this is even real, but assuming it is it sounds like Florida wants to clear cap space so Marner /Ekblad doesn't work.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Why did he end up on the top line? Oh yeah, he's a very productive offensive player. If he was good defensively, he'd be worth 6 million.

Last year, at even strength, he scored at essentially the same pace as Nylander....

Like who?
Thats good because he makes Nylander a Selke candidate

If you want like for like Roslovic for a start

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
1000016796.png

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
lack of scoring doesn't come from lack 9f goal scorer but coming in the fact D are never involved until trailing late. Playing at 3v5 unable to create space i the cycling because d are not involve
+
didn't had a lot of pressure without the puck to create hole

watch Florida, vegas, colorado, tampa and whatever. You will see D involve and hard forechecking.

Under keefe leafs playing safe hockey and took minimum of risk. They played a system who was working in the start of 2000's with exemple NJ trap. But the defensive system are now too good to hope win in playoff without using the 5 player on the ice. If the only thing you're doing is add goal scorer, that will change absolutly nothing if you didn't create yourself more space to shoot it and just taking outside shot.
its not lost on me that we dont have transition defense scoring and in zone defense scoring which severely hinders the team scoring but adding someone who can skate well and score goals is always a good idea if its cost effective

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
As someone who has watched every Rangers game the last three years (they're my second favourite team) I can assure you that Trouba is a very damn good defensman whose skates Phaneuf wouldn't be fit to tie.

Trouba isn't the best defenseman on his team. That honour belongs to Fox (and Millier is probably better too). But the whole physical leader willing to drop the gloves and set the example for the rest of the team thing is true.

He would easily be the best defenseman beside Rielly the Leafs ever had and a way better Captain than Tavares too.
meanwhile the rangers fanbase is celebrating the potential of him getting traded

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
The major issue is Marner. If there is no answer to the direction of Marner than everything else gets cloudy. Marner out and Tavares out next year clears a shit ton of space to fit everyone else in. Until that happens we’re stuck
What if we re-sign Marner and Tavares and make some changes to the bottom 6 and back up goalie? I think that may work. But typical Leafs they give up on these things too quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad