Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
They aren’t getting a 1st rounder, a good prospect and a young D with top 4 upside for a player drafted one year ago who doesn’t appear to want to sign with them.
Most recently, Cutter Gauthier who was a 5th overall pick and refused to sign with Philly was traded for Drysdale who was a 6th overall pick with 50 points in 140 games, with a very high upside.

McGroaty will return a 1st, or at least a solid NHL player. Lilylpad is very close to being from a "top 4 upside" to he is what he is right now, a 5-6 dman in the NHL.

I would be hesitant to trade Minten just based off Toronto not having a lot of quality center prospects, but I would 100% would do 1st + Lillypad for McGroaty.

Reactions: ToneDog

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don't understand why and how Domi isn't extended and won't be by July 1st. The match makes far too much sense. What a big time disappointment

In some ways I agree, Domi at 3-4 years, at 3-4 million makes a lot of sense. Domi wanting 5 x $6 million, as some rumours suggest, makes no sense.

My read on the situation, is that Domi is asking for more than we are willing to pay, and so he's going to try and get his price elsewhere... hopefully that backfires, and he circles back with us, at an affordable and reasonable amount.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I don't understand why and how Domi isn't extended and won't be by July 1st. The match makes far too much sense. What a big time disappointment

They have agents and those agents can get into the ears/brains of these guys, especially those who are prone to having their tires pumped / egos inflated. I liked the notion of a deal a lot more when he was rumoured to be seeking $3M. He's obviously not now - and I think there's better deals out there now.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Most recently, Cutter Gauthier who was a 5th overall pick and refused to sign with Philly was traded for Drysdale who was a 6th overall pick with 50 points in 140 games, with a very high upside.

McGroaty will return a 1st, or at least a solid NHL player. Lilylpad is very close to being from a "top 4 upside" to he is what he is right now, a 5-6 dman in the NHL.

I would be hesitant to trade Minten just based off Toronto not having a lot of quality center prospects, but I would 100% would do 1st + Lillypad for McGroaty.
1st + Lilly, I would do.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Probably looking for more than the Leafs are willing to pay. I'd bet he still gets signed.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He's asking for 6m per, LOL.

He scored 9 goals last year, he barely earned a raise.

Treliving isn't Dubas, he doesn't overrate his own players.

The disappointment goes both ways. Domi probably is asking far too much, Leafs not giving enough, etc. This should have been a slam dunk extension both sides are happy with.

"Doesn't overrate his players" means nothing. He's had plenty of warts and bad contracts over the years. We will see what he gives Chris Tanev and Zadorov...

Reactions: Duffman955

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Signing both Tanev to a 5 year contract and Zadorov to a 5 year contract would be a complete disaster of a offseason for Toronto. I'm hesitant to give a 34 year old Tanev a 3 year contract (who turns 35 in December). But signing a player till he's 39 years old at 4m cap hit would be a disgusting move.

I guess watching Marleau and Giordano, Brodie being unplayable as they age has taught Toronto nothing.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
He won't sign a contract July 1st.... He's bounced around the NHL far too much, and is asking for too much as well. When reality hits, that's when he circles back on an offer with term.

He's done this over and over. He'll end up in Utah or Buffalo if he's not careful.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
What prospect-obsessed fans offer on a message board is irrelevent. We've seen time and again, that the values that people on these boards on players has nothing to do with reality. Teams realize that the kid can pick his spot, even if they trade a huge package for him. He can do the same to the team trading for him
If he wants Toronto, he can get Toronto by staying in school.
His "handler" can make that clear to everyone.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The disappointment goes both ways. Domi probably is asking far too much, Leafs not giving enough, etc. This should have been a slam dunk extension both sides are happy with.

"Doesn't overrate his players" means nothing. He's had plenty of warts and bad contracts over the years. We will see what he gives Chris Tanev and Zadorov...
Domi can ask other teams for his 6 million, doubt he gets it.
If/when that is the case, he can speak to the Leafs again.

Reactions: rumman and Buds17

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
If they sign him, let's hope they do so with the intention of buying him out in 3 years when he's done.
They won't need to buy him out. Because he is 34 he is eligible for LTIR and based on his history he is a good candidate for that after two or three years.

6 x $3M would be ideal.

If he is still playing at a high enough level after year two or three he would be a good deal for us at $3M a year as a bottom pairing dman in a $100M+ salary cap league.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
In some ways I agree, Domi at 3-4 years, at 3-4 million makes a lot of sense. Domi wanting 5 x $6 million, as some rumours suggest, makes no sense.

My read on the situation, is that Domi is asking for more than we are willing to pay, and so he's going to try and get his price elsewhere... hopefully that backfires, and he circles back with us, at an affordable and reasonable amount.

I'd be fine with Domi, who can play center. If he could not play center he's just another middle 6 winger, not a difficult position to fill.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Debrusk and Roy would be great

Not a fan of Perron, Joshua, or Tanev (at that term) at all.

Dislike the idea of moving Lily .. particularly given how shallow they are on the right side.

Concerned what Tre might do with in a trade

Joshua is going to be super overpaid for a break out season. I do think he's more of what the Leafs need in their secondary players but you need to get those players at their cheapest.

Perron makes no sense. Tanev makes perfect sense. DeBrusk is more or less Bertuzzi.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Our priorities should be:

1. D (regardless of the Marner situation)
2. Backup/starter goalie
2. Marner situation (now how much you do and spend depends on this)
3. A Debrusk/Bertuzzi forward type.
4. Looks like Perron might be the target
5. Domi (most likely after he’s tested the market).

Reactions: CapspaceKiller

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Liljegren and a 1st would be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad