Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I'm a little surprised we haven't signed Domi yet.

He must really be pricing himself high? Sounded like he really loved being a Leaf, was a versatile player, and I can't imagine him getting a massive contract with those stats.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I also trust that Wes Clark knows what he is doing, he seems to be a very sharp hockey mind.

You could certainly make the case our scouting the past few seasons has been one of our better areas, especially if you consider where the picks were made.

Reactions: Kurtz

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Who are these cheap gems you speak about………
Hyman (first deal), Bunting, Mikheyev, Kampf, McMann (first deal), etc.. 'Gems' may not have been the best descriptor... but serviceable players on the cheap.
Eh I dunno about that, he also gave away some really useful depth and 'cheap gems' in some horrible moves. He traded Joshua for 'future considerations' to St.Louis because I guess we didn't want to sign him?, Trevor Moore was traded in a package for Jack Campbell who is rotting away on the Oilers farm team while Moore has turned into a 30 goal scorer and sub-60 pt player, Marchment was infamously traded for Malgin, Barabanov was traded away quickly after not really getting an extended look here, he brought in Michael Amadio only to waive him and then Amadio turned into a valuable depth piece for Vegas in their Cup run, he traded for future 40-goal scorer McCann which seemed like a suave move only to expose him in the expansion draft to protect his boy Justin Holl, he couldn't come to terms with local boy Evan Rodrigues awho is another valuable depth player that just won a Cup and just let him walk after acquiring him in the Kapanen trade. Even Stefan Noesen who was acquired in the awful Foligno trade got to play 1 game, then he went to Carolina and turned into exactly the kind of player we would've wanted, a heavy winger who is a threat in the blue paint - I will cut Dubas a bit more slack on this one though as Noesen was near 30 when we got him and had bounced around the league a bunch after failing to crack an NHL roster.

Still, let all of these guys go just so we could keep around chodes like Alex Kerfoot, Engvall, and Justin Holl. It's like the anti-Midas touch.
Giving them away is a different matter... yeah, no argument there. By no means is this acclaim for Dubas, just really emphasizing that Tre and management will need to be similarly creative this year before we can get that Tavares contract off the books.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Skinner is whatever, but it's mind-boggling that there are still people turning down the idea of a cap-efficient depth goal-scorer solely on the basis of his size or style of play. Are we still doing this nonsense where we pretend that only one type of player is good in the playoffs, and we need all big bulking brutes? I had hoped some lessons were learned this past year, but it appears otherwise.
I am only talking about this particular player, not a style of player in general.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Wonder what we are going to do at center. Huge hole at the 3C spot. Moving out Kampf and replacing him for 1 million would open a bit of room to get someone decent.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Every team signs cheap guys that perform well, especially when you place them with talent.

Like all of them. All the time.

That is the reason I want to see some of these in the line-up, Grebyonkin, Cowan, Minten, ... as they would be placed with or behind top talent.

Didn't hurt Knies, who seemed as good or better in the playoffs as the regular season.

I guess the question is whether the Leafs would be better off with 3rd. liners who've reached their ceiling, or top 6 players mentoring young players years from their ceiling?

Pay for quality or cheap out for quantity?

Reactions: Fogelhund

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
This management group are a bunch of idiots.

Players have no problems putting the screws to us during contract negotiations, trying to squeeze every penny, yet our management kiddie gloves them.

Where is Leaf management with a spine that represents what’s best for the crest?

Marner doesn’t want waive? Boo-hoo. Here’s what happens if you don’t.

Gee, I love being a Leaf so much, pay me whatever I ask? GTFO on the first train smoking.

This kiddie gloving isn’t creating goodwill with players during contract negotiations. It’s exposing the Leafs as weak suckers, continually getting bent over.

You can’t win with loser mentality. Bringing Marner back because he won’t waive, and living him everything he wants is what is rotten here and why we will never win.

A loser team, run by losers, that attracts losers, and pays them like winners.

What a pathetic f***ing joke we have here.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
""

""

Boosh was a decent partner for Rielly. Clearly they are aiming higher.

I think this is disappointing.

Boosh can play up and down the lineup and I can't imagine his asking price is high.

I'm all for seeking an upgrade in the top 4 but I think this is a waste of a good player who fits well here.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think this is disappointing.

Boosh can play up and down the lineup and I can't imagine his asking price is high.

I'm all for seeking an upgrade in the top 4 but I think this is a waste of a good player who fits well here.

Just my two cents.

I think I will await Tre’s replacement signings before judging. If he does better than Boosh, it’s a win. If not…

Reactions: LeafSteel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad