Trades & Free Agency Thread: 2024-2025 Season Edition

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Myers seems to also be a guy that will play for the team.

I think the best use of the Liljegren might honestly be to pump up his value with high O-zone starts PP time etc and then try to flip.

Reactions: rumman

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Love this. To top it off Leafs are $1 under the cap if certain LTIR moves are be made.

“The Maple Leafs roster includes a total of 13 forwards, eight defencemen and two goaltenders.

Forwards Connor Dewar (upper body) and Fraser Minten (lower body) have been placed on injured reserve while forward Calle Järnkrok (lower body) and defencemen Jani Hakanpää (lower body) and Dakota Mermis (upper body) have been placed on long-term injured reserve.”

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Love this. To top it off Leafs are $1 under the cap if certain LTIR moves are be made.

“The Maple Leafs roster includes a total of 13 forwards, eight defencemen and two goaltenders.

Forwards Connor Dewar (upper body) and Fraser Minten (lower body) have been placed on injured reserve while forward Calle Järnkrok (lower body) and defencemen Jani Hakanpää (lower body) and Dakota Mermis (upper body) have been placed on long-term injured reserve.”

It's why Pridham is worth his weight in gold as an agm

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I still believe in Liljegren and would like to see him given a chance to work with Berube. I still think he has the potential to be what we need him to be and his development went sideways under Keefe (see “Robertson “).

Reading the tea leaves here, if the plan is to move on from Liljegren (for who? Myers? Timmins? Hakanpaa?), what will you expect back?

25 year old, RHD, 17th overall pick (please ignore our pitiful RHD depth for now).

LHD Sandin, who wasn’t as good as Liljegren, got us a 1st rounder.

What can we reasonably get for Liljegren that doesn’t make trading him look like a short sighted move that blows up in our face later because we gave up on him too soon and didn’t get nearly enough value back?

Another 1st round pick who takes 2-4 years to add anything to our roster?

Part of a deal for a 2C like Danault?

Another RHD? Like who? As much as I like Myers and Timmins, and intrigued by Hakanpaa, man that RHD “depth” gives me a serious case of the whim whams.

If we really insist on moving on from Liljegren, I think it’s imperative that a 2C is coming back.

While RHD continues to be a glaring weakness that’s only going to get worse trading Liljegren, 2C is clearly going to be an issue sooner than later, as evidenced by the Leafs trying to fit Nylander there (hello square peg being forced into a round hole).

Every day that passes, Tavares moves closer to 3C, and if he is (hopefully) re -signed to a team friendly deal, 3C is where he should remain.

We have no Centre pipeline of which to speak currently and the UFA centre don’t look so hot, so trade is where we need to go.

So, you want to move on from Liljegren, who or what do you realistically expect coming back for him to make this team better and to make sure we don’t lose the trade and an asset because we ran out of patience?

Cheers
Agree about liljegren and I hope they keep him to get a chance under a new coach as you say. Keefe jerked the kid around and never really game him the chance to make a single mistake.

How forgetful we are that there were times last season when liljegren was the guy the coach would assign a trainwreck LHD to pair up with (Brodie, Gio, even McCabe at points) and Liljegren would help solidify the pairing.

It all went south when the rat slew-footed him in a chase for the puck and took him out. Forget how pitiful our teams response was to that dangerous and almost season-ending play, but for us to expect him to just jump back into the lineup in full stride after getting that injury isn't really fair.

In saying that, if we could package him in a deal for a (massive) trade where we go for a Mason McTavish as someone suggested here, where we maybe have to include Easton Cowan + in a deal to get that trade done, well sign me up. That kid is gonna be a beast and a perfect #2C for the next decade

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Agree about liljegren and I hope they keep him to get a chance under a new coach as you say. Keefe jerked the kid around and never really game him the chance to make a single mistake.

How forgetful we are that there were times last season when liljegren was the guy the coach would assign a trainwreck LHD to pair up with (Brodie, Gio, even McCabe at points) and Liljegren would help solidify the pairing.

It all went south when the rat slew-footed him in a chase for the puck and took him out. Forget how pitiful our teams response was to that dangerous and almost season-ending play, but for us to expect him to just jump back into the lineup in full stride after getting that injury isn't really fair.

In saying that, if we could package him in a deal for a (massive) trade where we go for a Mason McTavish as someone suggested here, where we maybe have to include Easton Cowan + in a deal to get that trade done, well sign me up. That kid is gonna be a beast and a perfect #2C for the next decade

Liljegren will probably healthy scratch ( if not trade)

From Jonas Siegel, Liljegren is maybe right now 8th in leafs depht chart in D behind Timmins... and even if McCabe don't play, It could be Myers who step in the line up unstead of Liljegren...We don't even talk about Hakanpaa.

Liljegren time in Toronto is over, they should trade him right now because hes clearly don't fit in the new team philosophy

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Defenseman that might come on the market this year, not saying I am endorsing the trade or if they'd end up here etc but I do think the Leafs need an impact defenseman to join the roster.

Weegar
Sanheim
Trouba
Fowler
Provorov (tier down)
Gavrikov
Jokiharju

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I don't understand the logic of SOIR, why is there a cap penalty because Minten played 4 whole games last season?

It’s not a cap penalty—SOIR is cap relief.

Without SOIR the injured player’s contract would count 100% against the cap, even if the team did not plan to have him on the NHL opening roster.

Ad

Ad

Ad