Trades & Free Agency Thread: 2024-2025 Season Edition

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It really feels like Kampf needs to go. Holmberg can play that 4C spot at a fraction of the cost. Truly this team needs a real middle 6 C. I wonder if they can acquire that for Liljegren.

I really haven't hated Myers at all. Same with Rifai.

Timmins is nice depth to have assuming he can get through waivers.

I would really like to see Jarnkrok, Kampf, Liljegren liquidated for mid round picks and a 3C. Someone like Bjustad would be nice even though I doubt he's available.
Myers, Rifai, and even Timmins are better value players than Lilly, I’m really hoping they can trade him soon because his value will only go down if he’s in the line up. He’s going to be this year’s Brodie if given the chance……..

Leafs will take whatever they can in his case because he becoming basically a cap dump... So dont hope to get a 2C for him or even a 1st pick like Sandin...

In my mind, hes easily the most overrated player leafs had last 5.
Addition by subtraction……..

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
do you think people around the league will watch an guy from a average D ( even if upgrade leafs D still average) unable to crack the line up except because an injury at 3M and will have an interest coming TDL for this guy???

I dont want to trade him now to don't lost value, but to don't get stick with his 3M contract for an healthy scratch player who doesn't fit in Berube system. Liljegren can become pretty fast a pretty bad contract.

I'm pretty sure I've read how this Leafs defense is going to be Top 10 in the league without Liljegren.

What is your opinion? Is this a bottom feeder defense, or a Top 10?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm pretty sure I've read how this Leafs defense is going to be Top 10 in the league without Liljegren.

With or without Lilly the success depends on if they can stay healthy, and imo that’s a big if. I would rather trade Lilly than lose the likes of Myers, Rafai, or even Timmins…….

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Best realistic outcome for Liljegren is he plays in the top 4 this year. It is really not difficult to imagine Tanev getting hurt given his history. Our defense continues to get older, it would be quite surprising if all of Rielly/Tanev/McCabe/OEL made it through without any missing significant time. Liljegren has played many, many games in the top 4 for us and did an acceptable job.

The bottom line is we are way more vulnerable at defense than forward. It will start to look ugly at one injury and we are far better equipped to call up forwards from the Marlies. Why are so many desperate to jump 25 year old Liljegren when Kampf and Jarnkrok are right there?
I don't want to dump Liljegren. I want him moved in a hockey trade. I agree that Jarnkrok and Kampf move also, and maybe even before him.

We all wanted change this year. New coach, new captain and I like the idea of replacing the Liljegren, Kampf, and Jarnkrok ice time and role with Hakanpaa, Myers, Rifai, Lorentz, Dewar, Holmberg, Cowan, Minten and Grebenkin.

It's about grit and snarl too. Yes, Lily's upside is top four. I had him pencilled in for that this year. This step back in camp is a bit concerning. If we are concerned that this is how he fits in Berube's game, then we move him now.

Reactions: rumman

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

As a D group, for me they are in middle mix... But as a team, maybe leafs could become a top 10 defensive team.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
With or without Lilly the success depends on if they can stay healthy, and imo that’s a big if. I would rather trade Lilly than lose the likes of Myers, Rafai, or even Timmins…….

As a D group, for me they are in middle mix... But as a team, maybe leafs could become a top 10 defensive team.

So 16th. ranked?

14th. - 20th.

So d-corps not one of their strong points.

And that is very dependent on older vets.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
My lines would be close to that

Knies Matthews Marner
Robertson Tavares Nylander
Paciorrety Domi Cowan
Lorentz Holmberg McMann

3rd line becomes more of a scoring line & 4th line with Lorentz & McMann a shut down line that can add a few goals.
Cowan is not NHL ready, no point in rushing him into the NHL. Give him another year to dominate the O and physically get stronger and hopefully a little faster.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Cowan is not NHL ready, no point in rushing him into the NHL. Give him another year to dominate the O and physically get stronger and hopefully a little faster.

Perhaps he put too much pressure on himself, and too much work to get bigger?

He did not look close at all.
He looked slow, and overwhelmed.

To me the difference is Minten wasn't trying to break into a scoring position, so getting some games was fine. Cowan and Grebenkin looked to have similar issues, except Grebenkin physically can handle playing against men, Cowan didn't look like it.

Grebenkin looked like it was knowledge about where to go, Cowan it didn't look like it mattered.

Two assets that look to have a great future with the team, just not this cutdown.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I am not convinced that Cowan is ready yet. I am also not convinced that dominating the OHL (again) is the best for his development. He dominated last year and still has holes in his game. Yes, he can get stronger and faster...I think he has speed and strength enough to play in the NHL now though.

Cowan is one of the reasons I want Jarnkrok and Kampf moved. We need to create opportunities for Cowan, Minten a s Grebenkin. 40 games each or so might accelerate the development curve for each of them...one or more of them might be useful come playoffs and they will certainly be more prepared to contribute next year.

I would give Cowan a nine game look over the first 15 or 20 games and then either run with him if he shows he belongs or develop him, or both of course. Give him 10 or 15 games and then let him go to the WJC, let him play a key role there, and then let him get 20 to 25 more games in the second half.

That's 30 or 40 NHL games + WJC and practicing with the pros and pro coaches all year. I think he would be eligible for the Marlies playoffs too, if not with the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad