OEL --------- Hakanpaa
Benoit ------- Timmins

Woll
Stolarz

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
It really feels like Kampf needs to go. Holmberg can play that 4C spot at a fraction of the cost. Truly this team needs a real middle 6 C. I wonder if they can acquire that for Liljegren.

I really haven't hated Myers at all. Same with Rifai.

Timmins is nice depth to have assuming he can get through waivers.

I would really like to see Jarnkrok, Kampf, Liljegren liquidated for mid round picks and a 3C. Someone like Bjustad would be nice even though I doubt he's available.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If Liljegren is in play --- LAK, Chicago, Winnipeg, SJS, Anaheim and maybe Nashville (would require money back) could make some sense to me. They all iffy D or injuries that could use a bump in quality, and most have the cap space to absorb him without problem.

Last edited:

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
At first I was leaning towards trading Jarnkrok over Kampf but with Lorentz being able to play on the PK I’d rather move Kampf. This would be my forward lines.

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
Pacioretty - Domi - McMann
Lorentz - Holmberg - Jarnkrok

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I still believe in Liljegren and would like to see him given a chance to work with Berube. I still think he has the potential to be what we need him to be and his development went sideways under Keefe (see “Robertson “).

Reading the tea leaves here, if the plan is to move on from Liljegren (for who? Myers? Timmins? Hakanpaa?), what will you expect back?

25 year old, RHD, 17th overall pick (please ignore our pitiful RHD depth for now).

LHD Sandin, who wasn’t as good as Liljegren, got us a 1st rounder.

What can we reasonably get for Liljegren that doesn’t make trading him look like a short sighted move that blows up in our face later because we gave up on him too soon and didn’t get nearly enough value back?

Another 1st round pick who takes 2-4 years to add anything to our roster?

Part of a deal for a 2C like Danault?

Another RHD? Like who? As much as I like Myers and Timmins, and intrigued by Hakanpaa, man that RHD “depth” gives me a serious case of the whim whams.

If we really insist on moving on from Liljegren, I think it’s imperative that a 2C is coming back.

While RHD continues to be a glaring weakness that’s only going to get worse trading Liljegren, 2C is clearly going to be an issue sooner than later, as evidenced by the Leafs trying to fit Nylander there (hello square peg being forced into a round hole).

Every day that passes, Tavares moves closer to 3C, and if he is (hopefully) re -signed to a team friendly deal, 3C is where he should remain.

We have no Centre pipeline of which to speak currently and the UFA centre don’t look so hot, so trade is where we need to go.

So, you want to move on from Liljegren, who or what do you realistically expect coming back for him to make this team better and to make sure we don’t lose the trade and an asset because we ran out of patience?

Cheers

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Don’t think LA would move Danault, even with Doughty getting injured they still have solid depth on the right side.

Centers who may be available in a deal that involves Liljegren could be Frost, Hayton and Granlund.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I find it confirming that Lil seems to have fallen out of favour with a coach who's stressed one on one battles. He's obviously seeing what many of us have in practice, Lil loses most of those, he considers a draw a win and that doesn't work on D.

Reactions: rumman

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I still believe in Liljegren and would like to see him given a chance to work with Berube. I still think he has the potential to be what we need him to be and his development went sideways under Keefe (see “Robertson “).

Reading the tea leaves here, if the plan is to move on from Liljegren (for who? Myers? Timmins? Hakanpaa?), what will you expect back?

25 year old, RHD, 17th overall pick (please ignore our pitiful RHD depth for now).

LHD Sandin, who wasn’t as good as Liljegren, got us a 1st rounder.

What can we reasonably get for Liljegren that doesn’t make trading him look like a short sighted move that blows up in our face later because we gave up on him too soon and didn’t get nearly enough value back?

Another 1st round pick who takes 2-4 years to add anything to our roster?

Part of a deal for a 2C like Danault?

Another RHD? Like who? As much as I like Myers and Timmins, and intrigued by Hakanpaa, man that RHD “depth” gives me a serious case of the whim whams.

If we really insist on moving on from Liljegren, I think it’s imperative that a 2C is coming back.

While RHD continues to be a glaring weakness that’s only going to get worse trading Liljegren, 2C is clearly going to be an issue sooner than later, as evidenced by the Leafs trying to fit Nylander there (hello square peg being forced into a round hole).

Every day that passes, Tavares moves closer to 3C, and if he is (hopefully) re -signed to a team friendly deal, 3C is where he should remain.

We have no Centre pipeline of which to speak currently and the UFA centre don’t look so hot, so trade is where we need to go.

So, you want to move on from Liljegren, who or what do you realistically expect coming back for him to make this team better and to make sure we don’t lose the trade and an asset because we ran out of patience?

Cheers

Leafs will take whatever they can in his case because he becoming basically a cap dump... So dont hope to get a 2C for him or even a 1st pick like Sandin...

In my mind, hes easily the most overrated player leafs had last 5.

Reactions: rumman

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Zero reason to dump him. With the Minten, Hakkanpaa and Dewar all going on LTIR they Leafs have a ton of space to sign Lorentz and Patches.

But if the idea is to move him before the season starts I would be giving San Jose a call. That blue line is a train wreck and with a young franchise goalie they may not want him to be getting completely shelled everynight. Look at players like Kunin or Kostin and a 3rd round pick as the return. If the Leafs are patient (what I would do) they wait until the trade deadline to move him in a package with Robertson for a Dman like Theodore.

As far as Berube losing "faith" in him its preseason. Has Berube lost faith in Nylander as he has been sitting too? You play the players you need to take long looks at who require a decision. Timmins, Robertson, Rifai all have to pass through waives and most likely all get claimed. Everyone losing thier minds over the play of Liljegren's play in one preseason game are going to stroke out by Christmas. It's a long season relax.

Reactions: LeafSteel

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
What we get in a Lily trade is $3 million in cap space.

The ability to not expose Timmons or Murray to waivers.
Roster a spare forward so Reaves doesn't have to dress every night.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Don’t understand the plan here. Timmins cannot ever stay healthy. Hakanpaa is already damaged goods. The best people can say about Myers is “I don’t hate him,” he’s an AHL player. The team has been desperate for RHD forever and are seemingly dumping one who has consistently played well over very long stretches because his preseason has been a disappointment. This has all the makings of a big mistake while Liljegren has a solid career for the next decade.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Don’t understand the plan here. Timmins cannot ever stay healthy. Hakanpaa is already damaged goods. The best people can say about Myers is “I don’t hate him,” he’s an AHL player. The team has been desperate for RHD forever and are seemingly dumping one who has consistently played well over very long stretches because his preseason has been a disappointment. This has all the makings of a big mistake while Liljegren has a solid career for the next decade.

Well said. I think the main part is that the Leafs are capping themselves into some weird decisions and someone solid has to go. We'll see if it's for better or worse.

Reactions: LeafSteel

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Zero reason to dump him. With the Minten, Hakkanpaa and Dewar all going on LTIR they Leafs have a ton of space to sign Lorentz and Patches.

But if the idea is to move him before the season starts I would be giving San Jose a call. That blue line is a train wreck and with a young franchise goalie they may not want him to be getting completely shelled everynight. Look at players like Kunin or Kostin and a 3rd round pick as the return. If the Leafs are patient (what I would do) they wait until the trade deadline to move him in a package with Robertson for a Dman like Theodore.

As far as Berube losing "faith" in him its preseason. Has Berube lost faith in Nylander as he has been sitting too? You play the players you need to take long looks at who require a decision. Timmins, Robertson, Rifai all have to pass through waives and most likely all get claimed. Everyone losing thier minds over the play of Liljegren's play in one preseason game are going to stroke out by Christmas. It's a long season relax.

i see 3M of reason. If Toronto keep Liljegren as 7th, they keep a 3M d who failed to make leafs staring line up.

Keep Liljegren could mean Liljegren would become a cap dump (like exemple an Adam Boqvist last year) and maybe unstead or get back something, if leafs keep him too much, he will lost every kind of value he could still have and probably leafs gonna need to pay to trade him away.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
i see 3M of reason. If Toronto keep Liljegren as 7th, they keep a 3M d who failed to make leafs staring line up.

Keep Liljegren could mean Liljegren would become a cap dump (like exemple an Adam Boqvist last year) and maybe unstead or get back something, if leafs keep him too much, he will lost every kind of value he could still have and probably leafs gonna need to pay to trade him away.
It is true that if we keep Lilly and he doesn't crack the top six, never mind the top four he will be a diminishing asset.

So, while we don't have to trade him we do have to decide what we have here. If there is decent value now, then I would move him. Having said that, we could get an injury and Lilly gets back in the lineup and shows he is still a young NHL dman, right shot with an OK contract.

Reactions: aingefan

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024
At first I was leaning towards trading Jarnkrok over Kampf but with Lorentz being able to play on the PK I’d rather move Kampf. This would be my forward lines.

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
Pacioretty - Domi - McMann
Lorentz - Holmberg - Jarnkrok
My lines would be close to that

Knies Matthews Marner
Robertson Tavares Nylander
Paciorrety Domi Cowan
Lorentz Holmberg McMann

My lines would be close to that

Knies Matthews Marner
Robertson Tavares Nylander
Paciorrety Domi Cowan
Lorentz Holmberg McMann
3rd line becomes more of a scoring line & 4th line with Lorentz & McMann a shut down line that can add a few goals.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
It is true that if we keep Lilly and he doesn't crack the top six, never mind the top four he will be a diminishing asset.

So, while we don't have to trade him we do have to decide what we have here. If there is decent value now, then I would move him. Having said that, we could get an injury and Lilly gets back in the lineup and shows he is still a young NHL dman, right shot with an OK c

Boqvist is really a poor comparision to Liljegren. He was on a non contending team and had no value going into the season last year. Now if you used Brannstrom as your comparable and how he was handled I could agree with you more. But at the end of the day if he does fail and only plays 20 games by the trade deadline he still is not a cap dump.

If you are panicing and trading him now because you are afraid of losing value then you need to trade Nick Roberston and Timmins now as well. Nick is not going to keep up with his 80 goal pace in the preseason and Timmins will not be seeing any PP time unless there is injuries.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
If you are panicing and trading him now because you are afraid of losing value then you need to trade Nick Roberston and Timmins now as well. Nick is not going to keep up with his 80 goal pace in the preseason and Timmins will not be seeing any PP time unless there is injuries.

Except we need Robertson and Timmins. They make nothing and can contribute and may have upside.

If Lilly is really seventh or lower on the doeth chart, we should move him. Timmins has no value, so he can't lose value. It's not about panicking it is about maximizing the return for redundant pieces.

What is the best realistic outcome for Liljegren? Tha the continues to develop, becomes a top four in the next year or so, as f then hits UFA and commands Sandin or greater money? No thanks.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Except we need Robertson and Timmins. They make nothing and can contribute and may have upside.

If Lilly is really seventh or lower on the doeth chart, we should move him. Timmins has no value, so he can't lose value. It's not about panicking it is about maximizing the return for redundant pieces.

What is the best realistic outcome for Liljegren? Tha the continues to develop, becomes a top four in the next year or so, as f then hits UFA and commands Sandin or greater money? No thanks.

Best realistic outcome for Liljegren is he plays in the top 4 this year. It is really not difficult to imagine Tanev getting hurt given his history. Our defense continues to get older, it would be quite surprising if all of Rielly/Tanev/McCabe/OEL made it through without any missing significant time. Liljegren has played many, many games in the top 4 for us and did an acceptable job.

The bottom line is we are way more vulnerable at defense than forward. It will start to look ugly at one injury and we are far better equipped to call up forwards from the Marlies. Why are so many desperate to jump 25 year old Liljegren when Kampf and Jarnkrok are right there?

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Boqvist is really a poor comparision to Liljegren. He was on a non contending team and had no value going into the season last year. Now if you used Brannstrom as your comparable and how he was handled I could agree with you more. But at the end of the day if he does fail and only plays 20 games by the trade deadline he still is not a cap dump.

So, while we don't have to trade him we do have to decide what we have here. If there is decent value now, then I would move him. Having said that, we could get an injury and Lilly gets back in the lineup and shows he is still a young NHL dman, right shot with an OK contract.

do you think people around the league will watch an guy from a average D ( even if upgrade leafs D still average) unable to crack the line up except because an injury at 3M and will have an interest coming TDL for this guy???

I dont want to trade him now to don't lost value, but to don't get stick with his 3M contract for an healthy scratch player who doesn't fit in Berube system. Liljegren can become pretty fast a pretty bad contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad