GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
In a Utah trade, I'd probably target Durzi+Geekie+Utah 2nd (38th). I'm sure they wouldn't be too keen on moving Durzi and Geekie, but it still leaves them with Cooley, Guenther, Lamoureux, Simashev, Daniil But and 6th overall. And Marner would be the best player they've had since Tkachuk? Selanne?

Geekie is a potential Tavares 2C replacement with a year buffer to acclimate the pro game and Durzi gives us a right-shot 2nd pair PPQB that will cost significantly less than someone like Montour and we'd be paying for his 20's, not his 30's.

Could always throw in someone like Liljegren to soft the Durzi blow.
Would love Geekie, I don’t see them moving him though. They got a real good thing going with him and Cooley down the middle.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Alexandre Carrier could be a good under the radar signing.

From Capfriendly

Screenshot (1434).png

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Pierre Lebrun just doubled down saying the Leafs haven't even started any trade conversations about Marner and he's not even sure Marner gets traded. Like he's saying the leafs haven't even made that decision to trade him

Also, Lebrun just said Trotz wants to sign Saros to an extension lmao

Yeah these nashville rumors ain't happening
rinse and repeat for these band of losers

Reactions: supermann_98

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I mean... I've posted this multiple times over the past week on this forum... but it doesn't stop people from talking about Saros anyway.

ByRobby Stanley
NHL.com Independent Correspondent
May 07, 2024

Saros, 29, has one season remaining on a four-year, $20 million contract ($5 million average annual value) he signed Aug. 16, 2021. He is eligible to sign a contract extension July 1.

“We’ll be in talks,” Trotz said. “I’m sure it’s not going to be definitely a July 1 announcement, probably. I think it’s going to be a process with his people, his representatives. But I do know this: [Saros] wants to be here, and he’s been a big part of it. I’d like him to be here, so we’re going to work hard at getting something done with him.”

Saros agreed with Trotz, saying that he wants to remain with the Predators for the remainder of his career.

“It’s a great city,” he said. “We have unbelievable fans, and I think as an organization we took a good step this year, too. I believe in this organization, so obviously I would be happy to [sign].”

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Jesus Binnington? He's a complete headcase

The only interesting thing about him is the Hextall like explosions of violence he provides every so often
all good goalies are a headcase ...I'd be worried when they arent

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Why though?... they have $43 million in cap space for next year.
They do technically have the space, but I sincerely doubt any team is going to want to eliminate more than $10M in cap space from a single trade. That said, using it on Marner for their team is a slam-dunk IMO.

That said, everything else about Utah is a fit. They do have the space, they'll want to make a splash given it's a new team, there's no pressure on Mitch to lead a team in the postseason immediately, his take-home pay is higher there, he's already married so the comparative lack of a (let's just call it) singles culture in the city isn't a problem, and he can go home afterwards and not feel like there's a ton of eyes on him.

In short it's a great fit for the player in my biased view. They have some low-cost assets we'd be interested in and we'd have leftover space to address other issues in the lineup afterwards as well. I think it's a good fit.

Friedman on 32 thoughts said the Leafs haven't even started entertaining the idea of a Marner trade until they speak to him and the agent first about contract demands.

If the contract demands are ridiculous, then all bets are off according to EF
I don't doubt that they haven't thought much about it yet. Theoretically you wouldn't normally want to lose a core player to UFA unless there are very significant extenuating circumstances.

However, in this case for this team and this player, there ARE very significant extenuating circumstances. It's time for a change and I think that (while they won't admit it publicly yet) both parties know this already. The chances of Marner's new deal coming in at well under his existing cap hit are next to nil, and the Leafs cannot afford to sign his new deal literally or figuratively. It's time.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I wouldn't get worked up, that the team hasn't discussed roster changes yet. You simply wouldn't discuss roster changes, until you had a head coach in place, and had conversations with your assistants, trainers, pro scouts etc.... Berube was only hired a few days ago, so he needs to be briefed on what the internal book is on each player, and he has to in turn provide feedback on the players, based upon what he knows. This process probably starts in June, which is hard for some of us to be patient.. but it's still nearly a full month before the draft, or UFA day.

We've got time.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Club has been tied up with the coaching search, and I would assume Marner is on a vacation and far away from hockey. So no discussions on his future sounds on point. Things will ramp up in a few weeks.

Reactions: Duffman955

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I wouldn't get worked up, that the team hasn't discussed roster changes yet. You simply wouldn't discuss roster changes, until you had a head coach in place, and had conversations with your assistants, trainers, pro scouts etc.... Berube was only hired a few days ago, so he needs to be briefed on what the internal book is on each player, and he has to in turn provide feedback on the players, based upon what he knows. This process probably starts in June, which is hard for some of us to be patient.. but it's still nearly a full month before the draft, or UFA day.

We've got time.

I prefer the patient approach at this time, if your season ends and your first thing you do is start calling up teams to drum up interest on Marner, you're gonna get minimal return.

Let teams come to you.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

We've got time.

I wouldn't really worry about what Berube wants or his input. He might have a template he'd like to have on his roster and I'm sure Treliving will obviously work his coach to make it happen but this team needs a change. What if Berube wants to run it back? They can't possibly do that again right?

It's a very long off-season for sure. But the majority of trades and movement happen between the draft and July 1st. That's like 3 weeks or so away? After that, it's all free agents with the rare trade. Then August is typically dead, and then training camp.

Treliving was excused last off-season for being thrown in a bit last minute. I'd rather not go through the same "lets sit and wait" approach. Aggressiveness and urgency needs to be at the forefront for this team to change for hopefully the better.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I wouldn't really worry about what Berube wants or his input. He might have a template he'd like to have on his roster and I'm sure Treliving will obviously work his coach to make it happen but this team needs a change. What if Berube wants to run it back? They can't possibly do that again right?
You might not like that answer.... they could be thinking, we just need a coach like Berube to get this group playing the right way to win.... I really don't know what they are thinking... though

Brendan Shanahan on whether core changes to the Maple Leafs’ roster will be considered this offseason: “There is a time for preaching patience, and there is a time when you have to examine the patterns that persist… Everything will be on the table”​

Makes it sound like everything is on the table....

Reactions: Rocker13

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
You might not like that answer.... they could be thinking, we just need a coach like Berube to get this group playing the right way to win.... I really don't know what they are thinking... though

Brendan Shanahan on whether core changes to the Maple Leafs’ roster will be considered this offseason: “There is a time for preaching patience, and there is a time when you have to examine the patterns that persist… Everything will be on the table”​

Makes it sound like everything is on the table....

I said it for awhile that with a new coach, you might want to hold on to your top players because it might unlock something. But at the same time, they need to figure something out and change something. I am not sure if changing the supporting cast again will be the change to push us over the edge... but maybe... I dunno.

I do hope they get aggressive and really look at everything on the table. I just don't think they have a lot of time and they need to be aggressive early in the off-season when teams are still in the mood to make their own additions/changes before free agency.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I said it for awhile that with a new coach, you might want to hold on to your top players because it might unlock something. But at the same time, they need to figure something out and change something. I am not sure if changing the supporting cast again will be the change to push us over the edge... but maybe... I dunno.

I do hope they get aggressive and really look at everything on the table. I just don't think they have a lot of time and they need to be aggressive early in the off-season when teams are still in the mood to make their own additions/changes before free agency.
IMO, they should have made a coaching change around that December/January time frame, when the team was struggling. That way, they could have had a number of months, to see what could have been changed with a new coach. That was a lost opportunity IMO.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I know his perceived value is low, but if Marner would agree to Seattle I would target Shane Wright. He likely is never going to live up to the hype but the kid wants to be great. The Leafs lack depth at center. I think he can be a really good 2nd line center for years. Low cap hit with upside. I would also target one of their D like Oleksiak or Larsson with an extension.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
just funny heard people talk about Saros like he was like 36 y/o and on his decline when he's pretty young at 29 and at his prime. The best years for a goalie most of the time are between 27 to 35.

But a Saros at 29... ah nah he's too old and too risky... Wtf, he's in his prime
Yes, he'd easily be your best goalie since Andersen or even Belfour.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I know his perceived value is low, but if Marner would agree to Seattle I would target Shane Wright. He likely is never going to live up to the hype but the kid wants to get great. The Leafs lack depth at center. I think he can be a really good 2nd line center for years. Low cap hit with upside. I would also target one of their D like Oleksiak or Larsson with an extension.
I’d absolutely want Wright in the same division as the Habs.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Friedman on 32 thoughts said the Leafs haven't even started entertaining the idea of a Marner trade until they speak to him and the agent first about contract demands.

If the contract demands are ridiculous, then all bets are off according to EF

That’s a nice stance publicly but Marner can’t extend until July 1st, so I’m hoping they have that figure ahead of the draft so they weigh some options

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
It doesn't make sense for any team to trade for Marner before they make the Leafs pay the bonus. So I'm not surprised there hasn't been talks yet.

If they are going to trade him, I expect talks around the draft and maybe a deal in principle to be completed after July 1st

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I know his perceived value is low, but if Marner would agree to Seattle I would target Shane Wright. He likely is never going to live up to the hype but the kid wants to be great. The Leafs lack depth at center. I think he can be a really good 2nd line center for years. Low cap hit with upside. I would also target one of their D like Oleksiak or Larsson with an extension.
I'd be happy with Wright and their first. With plenty of UFA D out there, we could potentially draft a really solid foundation piece at #8.... Sam Dickinson, LD out of London for example. Wright will probably be a solid #2C in time, replacing Tavares, and Dickinson a solid Top 4, maybe top pairing D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad