GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

the real Fox mulder

Dec 4, 2022
I think the chances of Marner waving his NMC is 50/50. Because if Marner doesn't waive, he'll become the most hated player in leafs history.

Fans got mad that Sundin didn't waive, this situation is ten times worse. Marner would never set foot in Toronto again without getting booed.

Where if he did waive, he can end his tenure in Toronto in a somewhat positive light. Did nothing in the playoff, but still wanted to help Toronto at the end by agreeing to a trade.

If he does waive, he can still retire as a leaf at age 37, where as if he's doesn't waive and sit until off season next year and leave. Marner is never going to wear a leaf jersey again.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
My thinking is a pick in the teens, younger player with some NHL experience and some potential, a solid bottom 6 player and another late 1st or 2nd. I think this is a pretty conservative ask for Marner.

I put forth the idea of Philly 12th overall, Morgan Frost, Noah Cates, and 2025 Colorado 1st.
If you then sign Lindholm with the freed up cap space.

Philly 12OA, Morgan Frost, Noah Cates, 2025 Colorado Late 1st and Lindhom for Marner looks like a pretty good return.

Reactions: BM14

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

Philly 12OA, Morgan Frost, Noah Cates, 2025 Colorado Late 1st and Lindhom for Marner looks like a pretty good return.

I was thinking Montour and Matt Duchene.

Reactions: ToneDog

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

That’s not a good return.

2 25 year olds who are 40th or under.

Cates had like 6 goals.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
That’s not a good return.

2 25 year olds who are 40th or under.

Cates had like 6 goals.

The focal point is the 12th OV, unfortunately.

Frost is probably a 50 point guy, and you can probably sign him long term for $4.5M or so. Cates is a very good defensive forward.

I'd like more, but I'm being conservative.

Reactions: ToneDog

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
The focal point is the 12th OV, unfortunately.

Frost is probably a 50 point guy, and you can probably sign him long term for $4.5M or so. Cates is a very good defensive forward.

I'd like more, but I'm being conservative.
I'd rather let him walk

ITT: trash trades for an bonafide top 10 winger in the league.

God why would we need half the players coming back that are mentioned.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I know what you did and it’s no! Minnesota isn’t taking on 8 mil of tarvaris! No they aren’t fine because your math isn’t addicting up

It adds up fine lol.

Thanks for coming out.

Tavares is a problem but I think it's more due to contract than culture. He's just a very poor captain and fails to say anything meaningful. He seems to try the most out of the core tbh (not a high bar), he's just becoming more ineffective as he ages.

Although his contract is bad, I don't think he's the one management is referring to. Sure, he carries some of the blame and I'm sure as captain they expect him to be accountable, but I think the comments today were mainly pointing at Marner while also throwing a little bit of shade at the whole core.

Just my opinion, but I think they'll let his contract expire and re-sign him as the 3C while quietly giving the captaincy to someone else (after the current contract expires.)

Moving Marner just makes too much sense. They'll be able to rebuild their defence this offseason and then next offseason with money saved on JT and the cap increase they can fill out the top 6/9.

I would want nothing to do with JT moving forward.

Reactions: Jmo89

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Regarding the goalie market, there are limited options available in FA.

I would make Laurent Brossoit our primary target and also consider Anthony Stolarz and Kappa Kahkonen.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Kind of curious about a Seth Jones for John Tavares swap. Assuming Chicago wants to get out from under his contract that runs till 2029 or 2030, they can have JT for one year at his minimum NHL salary with zero worry about cap. They also have a veteran to put with Bedard for one year. Our risk is Jones will not be a stud number one. Our reward is Jones is a stud number one.
Hope JT becomes besties with Bedard in Prague and decides he wants to waive for Chicago 😀

Scion

May 25, 2012
Marner can follow Keefe ro New Jersey.

Marner + Liljegren <--> Meier + Nemec + Holtz

🫰

Holtz and Nemec breakout and Meier returns to form it's a homerun for the Leafs.
Take out Holtz and I actually really like this, and could see it as plausible.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Stolarz is really underrated and a quality big goaltender. Been doing fantastic work for a few years in Anaheim and Florida.

Yep - I think he's a great target to buy some time while we assess Woll, and also wait to see what better goalies are available in 2025 (or otherwise become available via trade).

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think the chances of Marner waving his NMC is 50/50. Because if Marner doesn't waive, he'll become the most hated player in leafs history.

Fans got mad that Sundin didn't waive, this situation is ten times worse. Marner would never set foot in Toronto again without getting booed.

Where if he did waive, he can end his tenure in Toronto in a somewhat positive light. Did nothing in the playoff, but still wanted to help Toronto at the end by agreeing to a trade.

If he does waive, he can still retire as a leaf at age 37, where as if he's doesn't waive and sit until off season next year and leave. Marner is never going to wear a leaf jersey again.

There is zero chance marner sits next season. If the teams wants to deal him and he says no to waiving, you have to respect the player wishes and adjust your plan to 1 year down the road with the money coming off the books.

Sitting a perfectly healthy marner for a year to the clear detriment of the team, because he won’t waive his NMC would set a horrible precedent that I guarantee you the players both around the league and on this team would notice.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd argue more mobile defense creates offense

Yep. How many times did the Leafs gain the zone one way or another, dish the puck to the point only for the D to like a reindeer caught in headlights and just dump it back to the corner, which was likely recovered by the other team. Edmundson tried to pinch but his skillset level was so bad that it was useless.

Same for transition from the d-zone to the o-zone -- so many times a mobile/skilled defenseman could have made a play but instead, we chipped it off the glass and/or an icing or whatever. It was far too common towards the end of the season + playoffs.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
The mock trades for Marner I'm seeing on capfriendly are pretty depressing. Like Marner for a guy drafted 29th who has less than 0.5ppg in the AHL and bunch of 2nds kind of trades.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yep. How many times did the Leafs gain the zone one way or another, dish the puck to the point only for the D to like a reindeer caught in headlights and just dump it back to the corner, which was likely recovered by the other team. Edmundson tried to pinch but his skillset level was so bad that it was useless.

Same for transition from the d-zone to the o-zone -- so many times a mobile/skilled defenseman could have made a play but instead, we chipped it off the glass and/or an icing or whatever. It was far too common towards the end of the season + playoffs.
Transition and walking the line are the two big ones for me. Their instincts and lack of mobility really killed any chance at point shots. We don't need a boomer from the point often, just a guy to get and find a lane or quickly hit a forward in transition

The mock trades for Marner I'm seeing on capfriendly are pretty depressing. Like Marner for a guy drafted 29th who has less than 0.5ppg in the AHL and bunch of 2nds kind of trades.
My head just goes to the Kessel and PLD trades as minimums. Most fans will undervalue Mitch at the moment, GMs wont

Reactions: SprDaVE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad