GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I think they might be as well. They love that kind of 2-way player they are typically pretty aggressive to add or make moves of that level. Maybe they would want to do something around Necas for Marner and/or maybe they try to dump Kotkaniemi in the process. It doesn't really do much for the Leafs to me but I don't know.
Wouldn't be terrible. Could add some serious depth in a trade like that while also freeing up some cap space to add more around the group. This team needs a more well rounded top 9.

Would be nice to know what the Canes offered Vancouver for Petterson

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Hartman was signed to 4 year extension with full nmc

He was, it would be an incredibly fast turn around too, Guerin extended basically all his UFAs before/in season.

It can change fast though, they had a bad year.

Remember Ekholm just extended in Nashville, forgoing UFA and then got traded to Edmonton?

It's rare but it happens.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
The more I think about it. the base around Seth Jones for Marner trade makes sense. The Blackhawks would love to add Marner besides Bedard for the next 8-10 years.

Seth Jones would automatically become our best defender and is Right-handed too boot

Leafs would def need more because of Seth Jones being older

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Utah could look to makle a splash on their first season. Wonder if there's a trade to be made there

I think Seattle would be the first to enquire. They have the biggest need at RW, and could use the star power, and need an elite player.

I'd agree with you, that Utah could look to make a splash their first season as well.

Carolina... maybe, but I think they'd just extend Guentzel instead.

You can't rule out Vegas on anything, just because they do wild things.

I've seen Columbus mentioned, Hunter allegedly going to be the GM... for Kent Johnson and #4OA. Would be kind of fun to do a one stop shop... Tavares and Marner to Columbus Johnson, Boqvist, 4OA and Merzlikins.

Sportsnet has this one... I don't buy it.. .but...
Calgary Flames get: RW Mitch Marner, C Fraser Minten, LW Nick Robertson, D Timothy Liljegren
Toronto Maple Leafs get: G Jacob Markstrom*, D Rasmus Andersson
*Flames retain 25 per cent of Markstrom’s remaining salary

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The least sexy JT trade proposal, lifestyle/tax/competitive balance....

JT for Glass, WPG 2nd round pick in 2024

He'd be the 2C there and they can comfortably absorb his cap hit.

Ownership likely happy with the bonus being paid out ahead of time.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I think Seattle would be the first to enquire. They have the biggest need at RW, and could use the star power, and need an elite player.

I'd agree with you, that Utah could look to make a splash their first season as well.

Carolina... maybe, but I think they'd just extend Guentzel instead.

You can't rule out Vegas on anything, just because they do wild things.

I've seen Columbus mentioned, Hunter allegedly going to be the GM... for Kent Johnson and #4OA. Would be kind of fun to do a one stop shop... Tavares and Marner to Columbus Johnson, Boqvist, 4OA and Merzlikins.

Sportsnet has this one... I don't buy it.. .but...
Calgary Flames get: RW Mitch Marner, C Fraser Minten, LW Nick Robertson, D Timothy Liljegren
Toronto Maple Leafs get: G Jacob Markstrom*, D Rasmus Andersson
*Flames retain 25 per cent of Markstrom’s remaining salary
I'd hope there was a fair bit more coming bac to the Leafs,,, like a 1st and a good prospect ...else take out Minten and Roberson, and I'd still call it an overpay.
Anderson is good, but, not worth Marner plus all that extra good, and Markstrom hasnt been 'good' for a while, and he may not have a Bobrovski resurgence.

Reactions: Brobust

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The least sexy JT trade proposal, lifestyle/tax/competitive balance....

JT for Glass, WPG 2nd round pick in 2024

He'd be the 2C there and they can comfortably absorb his cap hit.

Ownership likely happy with the bonus being paid out ahead of time.
Not much cap space in WPG, especially when three of their D are UFA's. $13 mil in cap space...

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
JT isn't going anywhere and will probably be back on a heavily reduced deal after next summer IMO
I wonder what the fallout of JT extending for 2yrs at a mil July 1st? Like right down to the near min.
That’s 79/9 years.
Not possible I don’t think, but that move would send some waves.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I wonder what the fallout of JT extending for 2yrs at a mil July 1st? Like right down to the near min.
That’s 79/9 years.
Not possible I don’t think, but that move would send some waves.
I'd be down for that. Still a good player, but not what he once was, and not value for the money... the real question would be, just changing the player dynamics of the team, and the "leadership" voices, and for that reason, we might be better moving on...

Reactions: Jmo89

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
He was, it would be an incredibly fast turn around too, Guerin extended basically all his UFAs before/in season.

It can change fast though, they had a bad year.

Remember Ekholm just extended in Nashville, forgoing UFA and then got traded to Edmonton?

It's rare but it happens.
Problem is wild aren’t trading Hartman and his cap to take on Kt when wild are in cap hell. Hartman also isn’t waiving. Wild have 8 mil to put a roster together on nhl, & ahl level which is really bad for Minnesota

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Dont think I would do it but what about:

Tavares for dubois trade? They eat maybe 1 or 2 mill off dubois?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Problem is wild aren’t trading Hartman and his cap to take on Kt when wild are in cap hell. Hartman also isn’t waiving. Wild have 8 mil to put a roster together on nhl, & ahl level which is really bad for Minnesota

They're fine actually - I did a mock on the previous 1-2 pages.

Dont think I would do it but what about:

Tavares for dubois trade? They eat maybe 1 or 2 mill off dubois?

Oh....no.

Reactions: Kurtz

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
"We're right there" - end of season presser was incredibly dumb

You were close to winning a round....congrats...you need to win 4 of those.
1715374836495.jpeg

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
LA won’t retain for the next 7 years on Dubois.

To Toronto: Andrei Svechnikov + Jesperi Kotkaniemi
To Carolina: Mitch Marner + Timothy Liljegren
Fair trade, change of scenery for all might be a good thing for the players involved in this scenario…….

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
John Tavares, post July 1st, has only $910k salary remaining. Without trading him to a basement dweller, how many teams can take him on without much retention and also go into next season with some playoff expectations:

Pittsburgh
Carolina
Nashville
Boston

Teams that might be willing to trade him with an extension in place and possibly overpay for his leadership abilities, which would convince him to waive his NMC:

Columbus
Chicago

Another thing to consider is that the centre market in UFA is pretty thin, which would affect both the price the leafs could get for him but also make it more problematic to replace his position in the lineup.

Something else to consider... is third party retention. His $910k salary means that if a 3rd party, like Anaheim or Chicago or Columbus could get involved to do the retention. All of a sudden, Tavares could become a $5.5m player to anyone, with no cap hit to the Leafs; or something like a $2m cap hit to the Leafs, and a $4.5m player to somebody else.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Buffalo have a backlog of talented young defenders and they likely want to change things up. Bit pie in the sky but maybe we could get Byram or Power from them for Marner + with retention. They get to take a run at playoffs and get an elite playmaker with Thompson. Years of control is obviously in our favour in such a deal, so the + would be substantial (Minten?).

Marner may want to go to Buffalo due to proximity to home. Obviously trades like these within the division are unlikely but they're a tempting target.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
This is going to have to be a three way deal to get Marner to his preferred destination.

It will obviously be more complicated, but something like:

Team X: Marner
Calgary: Futures (from Team X)
Toronto: Andersson +

Doing it this way we can get him to another contender and receive actual good players in exchange.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Weegar would be an awesome addition.

It's crazy but when I think of the Tkachuk for Huberdeau trade, I regularly forget that Weegar was also part of that transaction.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Weegar would be an awesome addition.

It's crazy but when I think of the Tkachuk for Huberdeau trade, I regularly forget that Weegar was also part of that transaction.

And a prospect and a first round pick

Reactions: weems

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad