GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Kind of curious about a Seth Jones for John Tavares swap. Assuming Chicago wants to get out from under his contract that runs till 2029 or 2030, they can have JT for one year at his minimum NHL salary with zero worry about cap. They also have a veteran to put with Bedard for one year. Our risk is Jones will not be a stud number one. Our reward is Jones is a stud number one.

JT wants a cup probably, he's not getting any younger. I know the Leafs are cursed and never winning either, but they are closer to that goal than Chicago.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
JT wants a cup probably, he's not getting any younger. I know the Leafs are cursed and never winning either, but they are closer to that goal than Chicago.
If JT wants a cup, is there a team out there, that can handle both his cap, and could be seen as potential playoff contenders? Moving JT, is likely a tough sell.

Moving MM, shouldn't be as hard, but getting the right return is the tough part.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I thought about Minnesota as a landing spot for JT, he'd get to play beside Kaprizov or Boldy.

We might have to retain 2-3M but getting someone like Hartman and a later pick like our 4th included would be good.

I think Minnesota would extend him and help their centre depth

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I thought about Minnesota as a landing spot for JT, he'd get to play beside Kaprizov or Boldy.

We might have to retain 2-3M but getting someone like Hartman and a later pick like our 4th included would be good.

I think Minnesota would extend him and help their centre depth
Minnesota currently has $5.9 mil in cap space for next year. It's not until the year after that they gain back cap space from the Suter and Parise buyouts. They've got 19 players signed for next year, so it would be tough for them to do.

Plus is Hartman who you want as your 2C, or is the plan contingent upon getting a Lindholm signed as your 2C, and Hartman your 3C?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Minnesota currently has $5.9 mil in cap space for next year. It's not until the year after that they gain back cap space from the Suter and Parise buyouts. They've got 19 players signed for next year, so it would be tough for them to do.

Plus is Hartman who you want as your 2C, or is the plan contingent upon getting a Lindholm signed as your 2C, and Hartman your 3C?

Hartman would definitely be the 3C in this scenario.

I'd be looking at UFA/Other trades to fill the 2C role.

Most Wild fans never want to see Johansson again, wonder if the management group feels the same way?

1715358989038.png

1715359011351.png

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Half the teams in the league don’t make the playoffs. While Marner is not attractive for many in Leafs Nation for the playoff progression we crave, other teams could use his services to get to the playoffs. Or they have other strengths and need fluffy offense.
Ok but what does that have to do with Kyprios?

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
John Tavares, post July 1st, has only $910k salary remaining. Without trading him to a basement dweller, how many teams can take him on without much retention and also go into next season with some playoff expectations:

Pittsburgh
Carolina
Nashville
Boston

Teams that might be willing to trade him with an extension in place and possibly overpay for his leadership abilities, which would convince him to waive his NMC:

Columbus
Chicago

Another thing to consider is that the centre market in UFA is pretty thin, which would affect both the price the leafs could get for him but also make it more problematic to replace his position in the lineup.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
It's not just Kypreos who said this, Friedman said the following on Kyper and Bourne a few days ago:
- Marner wants a deal in the Nylander range (11.5-12 x 8)
- Other teams have no problem paying the price above. If he hits UFA 20+ teams are willing to pay him that contract
- Teams are already asking about Mitch
- At this time it's doubtful he will waive, though
Yea, Friedman is paid by the same person that pays Marners too. If Marner hits UFA he can only get a 7 year contract. He would be 34 at the end of a 7 year contract, and seeing how much he struggles in the postseason and he's already slow as it is... that 8th year might be pretty important to him. Otherwise he might try to do a shorter deal like Matthews, in order to maximize on his money. However that might be risky if the new team doesn't have highly skilled linemates for him to pad his stats.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Matthew Tkachuk had 1 year left, only willing to go to a very small number of teams, spotty playoff record at best and returned a #2-3 D, a 100 point winger plus more.

yes, I understand theres other context and layers to whether this was a good return for Calgary or not, but I refuse to accept that we are just going to be giving marner away if we move him.

If a team wants him, they can give us value or f*** off

Last edited:
Reactions: Duffman955

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Yea, Friedman is paid by the same person that pays Marners too. If Marner hits UFA he can only get a 7 year contract. He would be 34 at the end of a 7 year contract, and seeing how much he struggles in the postseason and he's already slow as it is... that 8th year might be pretty important to him. Otherwise he might try to do a shorter deal like Matthews, in order to maximize on his money. However that might be risky if the new team doesn't have highly skilled linemates for him to pad his stats.
Freidman isn't a shill, the things he says are generally accurate

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Matthew Tkachuk had 1 year left, only willing to go to a very small number of teams, spotty playoff record at best and returned a #2-3 D, a 100 point winger plus more.

yes, I understand theres other context and layers to whether this was a good return for Calgary or not, but I refuse to accept that we are just going to be giving marner away if we move him.

If a team wants him, they can give us value or f*** off
Seriously.

Like I'd rather cap space than trash returns

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Big off-season coming. This is gonna be Trelviing's first real pff-season in my books. Last year he was thrown in the woods right away with no time to observe and analyze.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
John Tavares, post July 1st, has only $910k salary remaining. Without trading him to a basement dweller, how many teams can take him on without much retention and also go into next season with some playoff expectations:

Pittsburgh
Carolina
Nashville
Boston

Teams that might be willing to trade him with an extension in place and possibly overpay for his leadership abilities, which would convince him to waive his NMC:

Columbus
Chicago

Another thing to consider is that the centre market in UFA is pretty thin, which would affect both the price the leafs could get for him but also make it more problematic to replace his position in the lineup.
Pittsburgh doesn't need a C... they've got Crosby, Malkin and Eller under contract. They also only have $12 mil in cap space with 14 people currently signed.

Carolina... I just don't see a need there. None of their C's are UFA, so they are all coming back... but they have Teravainen, Guentzel and half their D going to Free Agency. Jarvis and Necas are RFA's.. they've got their hands full.

Nashville has some cap space, and a need... I could see that.

Boston is interesting... they should be going after Lindholm... but then, if we move Tavares, so should we. They have a need at C, but might be tight with the Cap. They also might want to move Ullmark... and I'd personally drive Tavares to Boston for that deal.

Columbus has such a big need at C, but I don't know if he'd waive for them. They'd be willing to pay real assets to get him....

Chicago... maybe.

Reactions: aingefan

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Utah could look to makle a splash on their first season. Wonder if there's a trade to be made there

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I have no doubt Carolina will be one of the teams interested in Marner if he's available.

Any potential trade scenarios? Who could we want back. Chatfield as a base?

Reactions: TMLAM34

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I have no doubt Carolina will be one of the teams interested in Marner if he's available.

Chatfield is a UFA and like #6 on their depth chart.

Nikishin is someone I would want in the deal, not sure after that, if the extension is in place, maybe Svechnikov.

I think they want to move on from Necas and Kotkoniemi

Reactions: OVO16

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
JT isn't going anywhere and will probably be back on a heavily reduced deal after next summer IMO
Can they start the process of re-negotiating an adjusted contract this off-season or do they have to wait until next offseason

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I think they might be as well. They love that kind of 2-way player they are typically pretty aggressive to add or make moves of that level. Maybe they would want to do something around Necas for Marner and/or maybe they try to dump Kotkaniemi in the process. It doesn't really do much for the Leafs to me, especially if Kotkatniemi is involved.

Reactions: OVO16

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
He had 11 goals the very next playoff after leaving the Leafs. While his development has been impressive he didn't go from useless to top end goal scorer in one summer.

And shouldn't our PP be a cheat code with Marner/Matthews/Nylander/Tavares?
it absolutely should be ...but the deployment and tactics really need to change.
when JT was in the slot and Nylander and Matthews were 1-time ready it was solid, then they screwed with the formula... like New Coke, and it was a disaster (like 'New Coke) ...I'm old, so, youngsters may not get that reference :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad