Confirmed with Link: Trade with the Washington Capitals, Beck Malenstyn for 2nd round (#43)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If you find $20 on the street and then spend it all on a $2 candy bar,

Did you get a free candy bar or just set $18 on fire?
It’s more like we exchanged a $20 for a $10 and a $5 with the wife, went to a Garage sale and we spent our $15 on an item we liked, then as we were leaving something caught our eye that wasn’t for sale. It was a cinder block. We asked if it was for sale. The owner initially said no as it was being used to hold an umbrella up, but then we went into our wallets, pulled out a $10 and asked again. The owner agreed to sell it for $10 because of course one takes that deal, for a $3 cinder block you could buy many more.

And now we are skipping home because we got a cinder block that we could possibly doing something with.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I woke up, and I like this trade even more. If this is a sign of the type of players they want for their bottom 6, then fans should be very happy.

Malenstny is the exact type of winger I wanted next to Krebs. Again, get me Carrier, and you're building a fast 4th line that can hit, forecheck like mad, put up modest points, and take heavy d zone starts and ending those shifts in the o zone. The rat will come out of Krebs with those two being a PITA to play against on his line.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Both?

Not sure we overpaid as much as this would suggest either.

Yeah, more like a $14 candy bar.

Well, when you consider:

1) We still have to give him a contract. If he was signed for 3 years at 1 Million a season, you could convince me the savings had some value.
2) Multiple players of this ilk are available for free on Monday.

Is the difference between Malenstyn and say, one of Carrick, Brown, Amidaio, Pearson, Cousins, Sherwood worth a 2nd round pick? When their contract is going to be similar rate?

I like the player, I hate the asset management.

Adams paid a 2nd simply to ensure that he got a 4th line physical winger.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Also, was Beck part of that Hershey's team two years ago that physically destroyed the Amerks in the playoffs? I remember thinking, we NEED players like that in our system. They completely neutered a very talented and hot team, and Im sure Beck was a shit stirrer that series assuming he played.
If you’re referring to the 22-23 season when Hershey won the title, yes he was.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
If you find $20 on the street and then spend it all on a $2 candy bar,

Did you get a free candy bar or just set $18 on fire?
It's more like we were in line to purchase a candy bar at 11, then someone offered us a stick of gum to skip us three places in line. Then we buy the same candy bar at 14, walk out of the store, and trade the stick of gum to a guy in the parking lot who has Beck in the back of his pickup truck.

It's simple house money/arbitrage. Got a 2nd for free in the pick market, then traded it in the player market with measured abandon as we got it for free and didn't need it. For something we had none of.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
It's more like we were in line to purchase a candy bar at 11, then someone offered us a stick of gum to skip us three places in line. Then we buy the same candy bar at 14, walk out of the store, and trade the stick of gum to a guy in the parking lot who has Beck in the back of his pickup truck.

It's simple house money/arbitrage. Got a 2nd for free in the pick market, then traded it in the player market with measured abandon as we got it for free and didn't need it. For something we had none of.

But something that was freely available on monday for just the cost of a contract (which we have to give Malestyn anyways)

And the idea we don't have it....I mean, Greenway is right there. Why not get a better LW to push greenway down to this role. Wouldn't he be effectively the same?

I'm fine with adding depth pieces....we just paid a premium price for what effectively we could have gotten for free.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
But something that was freely available on monday for just the cost of a contract (which we have to give Malestyn anyways)

And the idea we don't have it....I mean, Greenway is right there. Why not get a better LW to push greenway down to this role. Wouldn't he be effectively the same?

I'm fine with adding depth pieces....we just paid a premium price for what effectively we could have gotten for free.
Malenstyn is one of the fastest forwards in the NHL, Greenway, as we know, is not a very fast guy, to put it mildly.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo

I hear ya. And you're right, we have one in Greenway and still needed 1-2 more.

There was significant risk in trying to get a guy like this "for free" in UFA on July 1 and potentially striking out when every other team is looking for the same guys. The shrewd SJ trade gave us a bonus token to force the Caps' hand and let us avoid that. That's as "free" as anything.

Plus, now we can shop UFA more freely and confidently for another in Carrier, Trenin, Stenlund, etc knowing we have one in the pocket already.

Last edited:

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

In one thread THESE THINGS ARE FREELY AVAILABLE!

in another thread NO ONE WILL SIGN HERE!

Life on the Sabres boards

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
In one thread THESE THINGS ARE FREELY AVAILABLE!

in another thread NO ONE WILL SIGN HERE!

Life on the Sabres boards

4th line wingers: supply typically outpaces demand.

1st line wingers: demand exceeds supply.

You can get a 4th line winger, a good one even, to come here. You may have to pay slightly above market rate for him (in salary, not acquisition cost).

There is zero reason to pay a 2nd round price for one. Ever.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

You can get a 4th line winger, a good one even, to come here. You may have to pay slightly above market rate for him (in salary, not acquisition cost).

Washington’s “4th line” was usually 2nd or 3rd in ice time for them. I’m almost certain 90% of the people lambasting this trade will change their tune once they see Beck play.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Paul Cotter just got a hell of a lot more than a 2nd. Jeannot got more, but I could see someone claiming he's a 3rd liner.

Reactions: Fjordy

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Washington’s “4th line” was usually 2nd or 3rd in ice time for them. I’m almost certain 90% of the people lambasting this trade will change their tune once they see Beck play.
C'mon tsuji... you know they won't.
Do you think he may be able to beat out Greenway for a top-9 spot? Pretty impressive to put up 20 pts with his usage, and he brings more speed and a tenacious forecheck. Im also wondering if he can spot check in the top-6 when injuries hit, or if someone is slacking. Seems like his style of play can wake a line up

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005

And what if we can get Monday doesn't want to sign with us? You forgot that part. The 2nd round pick we acquired was, indeed, free. Same player 11 that wee got 14. 2nd means nothing to us

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
If he fills a need and helps Buffalo win games, I’m all for it.

I don’t look at it like giving up a 2nd. I look at it more like Buffalo moved down 3 spots in the 1st and up 1 spot in the 2nd to acquire a bottom 6 player they felt would help them.
This is where I'm at. Seems like an over-payment, but I won't care at all once the season starts if he helps the roster noticeably.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad