Status
Not open for further replies.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
if we could get him without kotka/suzuki/caufield i’d be down

gally - suzuki - p.kane
caufield - kotka - andy

line 1 would be like boston’s perfection line. i feel like marchand and gally have always had similar career projections and playing with more skilled players could see him getting more points. suzuki and patrick kane wouldn’t be too bad lol.

The ask would be for 2 of those guys, possibly all 3.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Danault = Pageau. So 5 X 5 M $, should be the price tag.
when you say Danault=Pageau , you mean that they are both NHL hockey player i guess ?
Because if not, i don't see why you used that analogy . Pageau doesn't put more points, doesn't get 1/10 of votes vs Danault , for the Selke . In fact if Pageau got 5 m$ Danault will get between 5,5 -6 m$ .

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
when you say Danault=Pageau , you mean that they are both NHL hockey player i guess ?
Because if not, i don't see why you used that analogy . Pageau doesn't put more points, doesn't get 1/10 of votes vs Danault , for the Selke . In fact if Pageau got 5 m$ Danault will get between 5,5 -6 m$ .
Not from the Habs imo

Reactions: jaffy27

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
The ask would be for 2 of those guys, possibly all 3.
No it almost certainly not include Kk or Suzuki. Find me one trade in recent times in which a superstar was traded for an established young star like Suzuki or KK. Most dont even fetch the opp top prospect.

Pacs - Suzuki (#3 prospect)
Karlsson - Norris; (not even top 5 prospect at that time (the first was never expected to end up so high))
Stone - Brannstrom (#2 prospect)
Hall - I forgot the dudes name but it wasnt Hayton
Panarin - Saad

I cant remember any trade that include the teams best young player or even top prospect. And I'm looking at stars in their later years say 27+.

Only guy that would come to mind was the disastrous seguin trade that somehow sent seguin for Erickson

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Not from the Habs imo
agree to disagree. I think that Danault is a lot more important for the Habs than a lot of you think . He's one of the best to do what he does, and with all the young players coming , Habs need someone who can face the best opposite lines.

You can't go with a Suzuki-KK-Evans and Poehling before at least 2 seasons. It's too risky to put them in a situation where the can loose all their confidence. Habs can support to give money to Danault because Suzuki and KK both are on their entry level contract , next to what they still will sign for a middle amount before getting the big contract.

Once the two kids will get better, then it will be the time to trade Danault, or to find a way to pay him for the last 2 years of his contract

Last edited:
Reactions: gillyguzzler

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
agree to disagree. I think that Danault is a lot more important for the Habs than a lot of you think . He's one of the best to do what he does, and with all the young players coming , Habs need someone who can face the best opposite lines.

You can't go with a Suzuki-KK-Evans and Poehling before at least 2 seasons. It's too risky to put them in a situation where the can loose all their confidence. Habs can support to give money to Danault because Suzuki and KK both are on their entry level contract , next to what they still will sign for a middle amount before getting the big contract.

Once the two kids will get better, then it will be the time to trade Danault, or to find a way to pay him for the last 2 years of his contract

Noone disagrees how important Danault is, the Habs just can't afford to pay him that much without hurting themselves on the near future...it's the cap, not the talent...

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The Habs desperately need someone that can QB a PP. Keith Yandle is still excellent at it, but that contract is pretty expensive and he is old. Maybe Florida can shed a bit of salary and we send them Byron+Kulak. Shayne Ghostisbere is a potential bounce back candidate, but he is really bad if he doesn't bounce back.

Reactions: David Suzuki

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Noone disagrees how important Danault is, the Habs just can't afford to pay him that much without hurting themselves on the near future...it's the cap, not the talent...
once again, i disagree . We are not talking about a 8-9 m$ player.We are talking about a 5,5 m$ contract. We have Tatar , Weise and Byron that could be traded during the season, and we have plenty of very promising dmen coming next 2 years .They will be on their entry level contract. That means that soon, Chiarot could be also available to be traded . Also the signing of Allen has been made for the draft expansion. There's a lot of chances that he will be picked up

Fact is that before last season, the Habs didn't have a good deep in their farm. That means that they have to go by trades/free agents to fill their team's core. Now, we have a group of young prospects/young players that will get 1m$ salary . I understand your point but to me it's more hurting the team to trade Danault right now with all the centers of the team being such young.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
The Habs desperately need someone that can QB a PP. Keith Yandle is still excellent at it, but that contract is pretty expensive and he is old. Maybe Florida can shed a bit of salary and we send them Byron+Kulak. Shayne Ghostisbere is a potential bounce back candidate, but he is really bad if he doesn't bounce back.
can you try to look farther ; take in consideration that we probably have the best dmen prospect file of the NHL ? that they will get the minimum $$$ contract .

Habs have made few acquisitions this summer and we even don't know how the PP will units will do next season. So, i don't think that signing an other expensive dman because the PP was bad last season, is a good idea. It will only block the youngsters in their ice time

Habaholic25

Oct 22, 2020
Too much, not enough, or just right for P Kane?

- Kane
* If he is willing to waive to go to Montreal... Doubtful
* Retention down to $9M
for
- Caufield
- Guhle
- 2021 1st (unprotected)
- Allen, Armia, Byron (cap reasons)

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

I believe Danault is very important to this team.....but not at 5.5m$ to 6m$......even in a flat cap era he’s not worth this.

Anywhere between 4.25m$ to 5m$ for 5-6yrs is Danault’s value......

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Too much, not enough, or just right for Kane?

- Kane
* Retention down to $9M
for
- Caufield
- Guhle
- 2021 1st (unprotected)
Nope.......this more of a Laine proposal

Hawks have ZERO leverage here......

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Too much, not enough, or just right for P Kane?

- Kane
* Retention down to $9M
for
- Caufield
- Guhle
- 2021 1st (unprotected)
It's probably just right.....but I don't want to give up Caufield....so no from me.

Habaholic25

Oct 22, 2020
I believe Danault is very important to this team.....but not at 5.5m$ to 6m$......even in a flat cap era he’s not worth this.

Anywhere between 4.25m$ to 5m$ for 5-6yrs is Danault’s value......

We would be lucky to get Danault for under $5M. How much does he really like it in Montreal and what does he do next season? Pretty sure he's asking for $6M ish but I'd give him $5.5M. I think $5M or under is a steal.

Reactions: jaffy27

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
It's probably just right.....but I don't want to give up Caufield....so no from me.

It's not "just right", it destroys then modifies our cap structure of having cost controlled centres, moderately remunerated wingers and quite a bit invested on D & goaltending to suit Julien's style.

Losing Allen and Byron and Armia may come close to covering Kane's retained cap but it creates other problems while still leaving us up against the cap. Pretty much ****ed for next year's cap outlook as well. It's a big cascade effect of issues.

No to Kane or Toews for me. Different story for other teams, but not here at this point in time. I also don't want to give up Caufield, he's a special weapon in the making with that shot.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah I never said Danault is not important, he is, but the Habs have options and decisions to make.

You can't keep everyone, especially if they're not coming in at a price that fits into your salary structure.

This isn't a dig on the player. I value Danault big time.

Meh...that depends on how much Suzuki/Kotkaniemi/Evans develop over the next year.

I'm not one who prescribes to the theory that young players struggle and have to be coddled and sheltered.

All players, young and old, have bouts where their confidence is low. Even Danault.

Habs don't have to do anything for now...that's a good thing.

Time will reveal the way forward

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
We would be lucky to get Danault for under $5M. How much does he really like it in Montreal and what does he do next season? Pretty sure he's asking for $6M ish but I'd give him $5.5M. I think $5M or under is a steal.
Who is gonna pay 5m$ for a player who’s maxed out a 12 goal Season with the teams best wingers??

i know he brings a lot more but you don’t pay top dollars for a player to play good defence.

anywhere he goes as in a good team, will see him on the 3rd line playing his strong defensive hickey while chipping in 35-40pts.

In my opinion, the value for this is south of 5m$ and 1 dollar.

I like the player very much.....we’ll see I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad