Speculation: Trade Talk V - Livin' for the Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
I noticed he got a bit of ice in the Buffalo game with Benn and Seguin, particularly on the PP. Maybe Ruff liked him with them and decided he'd be worth more than they could bring back.

I hope that only happened to try and raise whitneys value, I would much rather see Chaisson or Nichushkin as our top two right wings, with Peverley in between Roussel and Garbutt, leaving Horcoff Whitney and Fiddler as our fourth line.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I would have really liked to have seen a move for an actual rental, not just clearing a single year off a contract. A guy like Calamari would've been both cheap and appropriate for us..

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
Probably knows he's about to be fired.

I rather enjoyed listening to Leafs GM Dave Nonis boldly declare how the market was too rich for the Leafs to do anything at the deadline, mere minutes after Montreal got Vanek for a pick and a prospect. :laugh:

Collberg is a nice prospect though, that's almost the equivalent of Brett Ritchie from a Dallas perspective. But I agree on other players, Moulson & Gaborik went for cheaper then I expected.

This was definitely a buyer's market, Like BigG said, it's no surprise Whitney & Fiddler are still here after seeing some of those prices.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
In the grand scheme of things ... with Sceviour signed to a one year deal now ... I can live with it.

Add to that, this is no doubt the strangest trade deadline I can remember. There were some big, awesome names moved that rarely happens, and the depth guys went for less than I ever, ever remember.

I can't freaking believe Goc only brought back a 3rd and 5th. I can't believe nearly any of the rental values. It was flat out insane. I mean seriously .... you could argue Dallas got a better return last year for Derek Roy than the Islanders got for Vanek. That's absurd.

I really thought going in Whitney would get a 3rd. After today at those prices, his value was more like a 5th. Regardless of previously joking I'd take a 7th to move him, I get why Nill didn't.

Like I said in the playoff thread ... i'm just going to keep my hopes up that Whitney's personal goals (400 goal milestone, and another Cup) will make him play his ass off trying to earn another contract for next season. He's looked better lately. That's important. I wouldn't be shocked to see Nichushkin spending more time with him and Horcoff. Ruff goes the periods of time where he's quick to pull Nuke off that top line.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Jim and Tom Makin' Dallas

BiAevT4CIAARxf9.jpg

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
In the grand scheme of things ... with Sceviour signed to a one year deal now ... I can live with it.

Add to that, this is no doubt the strangest trade deadline I can remember. There were some big, awesome names moved that rarely happens, and the depth guys went for less than I ever, ever remember.

I can't freaking believe Goc only brought back a 3rd and 5th. I can't believe nearly any of the rental values. It was flat out insane. I mean seriously .... you could argue Dallas got a better return last year for Derek Roy than the Islanders got for Vanek. That's absurd.

I really thought going in Whitney would get a 3rd. After today at those prices, his value was more like a 5th. Regardless of previously joking I'd take a 7th to move him, I get why Nill didn't.

Like I said in the playoff thread ... i'm just going to keep my hopes up that Whitney's personal goals (400 goal milestone, and another Cup) will make him play his ass off trying to earn another contract for next season. He's looked better lately. That's important. I wouldn't be shocked to see Nichushkin spending more time with him and Horcoff. Ruff goes the periods of time where he's quick to pull Nuke off that top line.

Thought Sceviour was signed 2 years?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Heh ... and look at that. Nuke is with Whitney and Horcoff today. Now I'm really pulling even more for Whitney. Ultimately I think it's in Dallas best interest to get Nuke going on his own so I'm hoping that can start now while they have him with the senior citizens.

I didn't think it was possible with the way Chiasson and Whitney had been playing, but maybe Dallas can finally spread some scoring throughout the lineup. Cole-Eakin-Chiasson already look dangerous. Now they just need Whitney and Nuke to develop some of that chemistry Whitney and Chiasson showed briefly last season.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Seems to indicate they'd really did try to move Whitney, but the goal was maybe not to replace him with Sceviour. They must have really wanted Sceviour for an AHL playoff run.

Q:Hey Mike, any idea of what deals were discussed last Wednesday that didnt happen with Dallas?

A:I believe they had interest in Detroit's Patrick Eaves (who went to Nashville), but needed to move a forward to make that happen and they couldn't get a deal done for Ray Whitney.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Might as well keep this as the free agency and off season thread I guess.

Also from chat above, Heika said he believes Dallas will pursue Stastny if he is not re-signed by Colorado.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
We'll make a new thread for the offseason when that gets here.

I'd love to know what really happened with Whitney. It seems clear that they decided to showcase him in those couple of games leading up to the deadline. He's right back down to the 4th line. I guess credit has to go to the rest of the league's pro scouts for being current on his level of play and not falling for the name. I wonder what Nill's threshold of acceptability was when it comes to the kind of pick in return. I can't imagine it would've been a high bar considering what he let Robidas go for. Maybe only 6th or 7th round picks were being offered and Nill considered that insulting to Whitney.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Then we know who we're going after this summer.

IDK ... I think that Nill just wasn't ready to remove Sceviour from the AHL yet. Eaves is going to cost more money than any of Dallas' options. We already know Sceviour on a one-way is a top option for that role, and McKenzie is close to the same age as Sceviour. His window to become a regular NHLer should be coming soon. Then add Glennie into that mix as well.

I actually doubt they will have any interest in Eaves. I think he was just an attractive option with an expiring contract to add better overall play to the team and not force Dallas to pull anyone out of Austin.

Last edited:

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
I dont see a need to sign a ufa forward from outside the organization next season unless Pevs is going to be out.

I mean unless we are talking about someone like Statsny.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad