Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part 17: What does "bold" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I don't know if we have the assets to make a play for a goalie given our other holes.

I have this weird feeling they will make a play for Luongo even if it doesn't make a ton of sense.
I think the team is daily comfortable with Dubnyk, but if Lu is bought out there is no doubt in my mind our management will jump all over him.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
I can easily see St. Louis and Vancouver being interested in Hemsky. Those teams cannot seem to score. Hemsky on the Blues would be a nice compliment to their bigger, grittier guys.

How about a trade centered around Hemsky, a prospect and one of our 2nd rounders for Halak and Roman Polak?

Oilers pick up part of Hemsky's ticket. I do not see the Blues moving Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo or Bouwmeester.

Polak was 4th in ice time for Blues D in the playoffs. An upgrade on Nick Schultz.

Peter Zezel

Sep 12, 2003
Polak is exactly what we need on D, but the Blues won't move him. He's signed at 2.75 long term, guys a steal.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Polak is exactly what we need on D, but the Blues won't move him. He's signed at 2.75 long term, guys a steal.

Possible that you are right, his contract is solid and he's a very good player. The Blues need scoring and a 3M Hemsky might fit the bill better than any of the UFA's out there - although someone like Ribiero could fill the bill just as well for the Blues - but the Blues have some cap issues. Halak interests me.

Another interesting option as a target for a deal: Toronto

RFAs: Gunnarson, Mark Fraser, Franson, Kostka

Gunnarson and Franson will be looking for 4M each.

Phaneuf is signed. Gardiner will need a contract next summer.

Gunnarsson would be perfect for the Oilers too.

Peter Zezel

Sep 12, 2003
Possible that you are right, his contract is solid and he's a very good player. The Blues need scoring and a 3M Hemsky might fit the bill better than any of the UFA's out there - although someone like Ribiero could fill the bill just as well for the Blues - but the Blues have some cap issues. Halak interests me.

Another interesting option as a target for a deal: Toronto

RFAs: Gunnarson, Mark Fraser, Franson, Kostka

Gunnarson and Franson will be looking for 4M each.

Phaneuf is signed. Gardiner will need a contract next summer.

Gunnarsson would be perfect for the Oilers too.
If the Blues do run into cap trouble, I agree Halak would be a good guy to go after. I'm sure they'd go with Elliott/Allen and save the 3.75 million.

I remember Gunnarson had some interest on these boards a couple years back. From what I saw during the regular season he was average, but he's been playing real good in the playoffs. Definitely that first pass and all-round defense man we could use.

ZeroPT*

Vanek (Buffalo Fan)

Hello Oiler fans!, I come in peace!
Over on the trade board the "Vanek thread" There were some oiler fans who were legitimately intersted, this was the offer I (Sabre Fan) made:

To :edmonton
Vanek (Half salary)
Stafford

To :sabres
Edmonton 2013 1st (7thov)
MPS
Hartikainen

Vanek is the best offensive player available, he's big and can score goals, he isn't overly physical but he does add size to the top 6, wich from a neutral point of view is needed, also stafford, he is MUCH more physical than Vanek and has a very good offensive record, thoughts?

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Over on the trade board the "Vanek thread" There were some oiler fans who were legitimately intersted, this was the offer I (Sabre Fan) made:

Vanek (Half salary)
Stafford

MPS
Hartikainen

Vanek is the best offensive player available, he's big and can score goals, he isn't overly physical but he does add size to the top 6, wich from a neutral point of view is needed, also stafford, he is MUCH more physical than Vanek and has a very good offensive record, thoughts?

ur upsetting me :(

on one side we cannot afford to take on that much salary and both players comming back are wingers , but then I think , what if Hall does get switched to Centre ?

Vanek Hall Yak
Stafford RNH Eberle

I like it alot :(

If you take Horcoff and Belanger .... we have a deal ( that was actually hard )

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Vanek (Half salary)
Stafford

MPS
Hartikainen

The Oilers would have to have Vanek resigned to make this deal, so he would need to have his name on a deal waiting to be registered on July 1. Otherwsie it is far to big a risk.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
The Oilers would have to have Vanek resigned to make this deal, so he would need to have his name on a deal waiting to be registered on July 1. Otherwsie it is far to big a risk.

hes making 7.1 right now ,if he would sign something that paid him more around 6 it would fit overal for us

Lewy

May 26, 2011
Could Clark Macarthur be had for a reasonable price? I admit to not watching the Maple Leafs all that much and I know he's been riding the pine, but it seems like he could be a reasonable bottom 6 option. Can anyone tell me if he is RFA or UFA this offseason? His contract went wonky because Atlanta walked away from an arbitrators ruling.

The Sabres trade seems reasonable, don't see it fulfilling either teams needs really though.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Vanek is UFA after next season and will want the same money

also-- it might just be me--but I liked the way Yakupov and Maggs clicked in the last 7 games

With Hall, Eberle, and Yakupov on the team-- the oilers have the scoring threat

Stafford only has two years left on his contract

so trading number 7 for two players who could be gone in 24 month is a gamble

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
2 trades that I'll throw out there.

To Columbus: Hemsky(Oilers eat $1.5M of contract), #7, Oilers 2nd, b level prospect

To Edmonton: Dubinsky, #14, #23

Then,

To Buffalo: #14, #23

To Edmonton: Myers

I realize Myers is a big risk, but he is still young and could rebound to his former form in a new environment. Buffalo gets good value with 2 mid 1'st in a solid draft year. It's really a risk for both clubs as we are dealing draft picks to get Myers.

Dubinsky gives us a player who could take draws for Gagner, then shift over to the wing.

Flame away.

Last edited:

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

To Columbus: Hemsky(Oilers eat $1.5M of contract), #7, Oilers 2nd, b level prospect

Then,

I realize Myers is a big risk, but he is still young and could rebound to his former form in a new environment. Buffalo gets good value with 2 mid 1'st in a solid draft year. It's really a risk for both clubs as we are dealing draft picks to get Myers.

Dubinsky gives us a player who could take draws for Gagner, then shift over to the wing.

Flame away.

I wouldn't touch Myers. He was playing mediocre before his injury but then we'd have to wait for him to recover....then rebound enough to play...then hope he turns out as good as he was. Too much time and risk. I don't know about the dubinsky thing, I sort of like trading down like that but history shows that isn't very wise.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
I wouldn't touch Myers. He was playing mediocre before his injury but then we'd have to wait for him to recover....then rebound enough to play...then hope he turns out as good as he was. Too much time and risk. I don't know about the dubinsky thing, I sort of like trading down like that but history shows that isn't very wise.

I agree with the trading down risk, which is why if we are moving down, I hope they move the lower pick entirely.

McJeetz

Feb 2, 2007
I want two guys this summer.

Lindy Ruff

Ryan Miller

If anyone thinks that Dubby is a guy that'll lead us through a deep playoff run, I have to disagree. Just don't see him being "the guy" after watching the playoffs thus far. Let's go get a bonefide # 1 guy in Miller and go from there.

Ruff would be a good guy to bring in. As an Associate Coach. More of a mentor for Kruger. Kruger is good but he gets out coached often. a seasoned guy like Ruff would go a long way.

Miller is interesting. He had a bad year but comes off like a guy who has lost his marbles a bit. If there ever was a guy who needed a change...

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

Then,

Flame away.

I could definitely see a deal with Columbus. They have quite a few pieces that we'd be interested in in the event we trade down. I'm warming up to moving down if the draft goes utterly predictable and Monahan/Lindholm is gone at 7.

We'll see what happens with the NYR and LAK pick. History has shown that moving up about 5 spots or so in the Top-20 picks of he 1st round costs a 2nd rounder. Moving up 7 spots from 14 --> 7? We could maybe squeeze a low 1st if LAK/NYR go far.

I don't think the difference between Hemsky (1 year) and Dubinsky (2 years) is more then a 2nd. Jarmo brought in Gaborik so he's not allergic of highly skilled players with questionable health risks attached.

I'd try and take advantage of Jarmo's Finnish roots. Dangle Rajala and Harski out there and see if we get his attention. I think a guy like Rajala who came on real hot this year in the AHL and has been a junior star in the Finnish league holds value to Jarmo.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005

If you can acquire Tyler Myers, you do so. He's a 23-year-old stud defenseman, signed to a long-term deal for a reasonable cap hit. My guess is that he's unattainable. Long-term risk on him is low imo. He's a high impact player for years. This team would make significant strides forward with his steady influence on the blueline.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE

Vanek (Half salary)
Stafford

MPS
Hartikainen

The Value is good, for sure. The issue is that this doesn't really fit any of our main needs and it takes away our main trading assets that we hope to use to fill those said needs.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
The Value is good, for sure. The issue is that this doesn't really fit any of our main needs and it takes away our main trading assets that we hope to use to fill those said needs.

I'd have to agree. We need a physical forward in our top 6, and a top pairing D. How much $ can you tie up in skilled forwards?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
If you can acquire Tyler Myers, you do so. He's a 23-year-old stud defenseman, signed to a long-term deal for a reasonable cap hit. My guess is that he's unattainable. Long-term risk on him is low imo. He's a high impact player for years. This team would make significant strides forward with his steady influence on the blueline.

This was only true a while back. He's taken a MASSIVE step backwards

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Vanek (Half salary)
Stafford

MPS
Hartikainen

Vanek is an exceptional player. So much talent and a propensity to get to the net and make plays. The amount of deflections and garbage he cleans up around the net is outstanding. And that shot? Yum.

However... 7th OV for 1 year of Vanek?

Excuse to use an Alison Brie picture? Yeah.

He'd need to come with an extension.

Back when he offer sheeted him, what were Vanek's former ties to Edmonton? I foggily remember he had a billet in Edmonton or something?

stoff

Apr 19, 2007

You should really watch him anytime in the last 3 years. He has been dreadful. You are basically opposite in all your assessments. So you have him signed long term at a big contract when his last good season was three years ago.

He will still cost a lot to acquire and has a big cap hit. Not worth it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad