Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Pierre Lebrun was just on TSN 1260 and he said EK won't re-sign in Ott but that he's hearing EK won't sign an extension with any team he's traded to. Said it's possible but more likely that he tests UFA.

If you want to hear it (when it becomes available) it's TSN1260, Lowetide's show and was about 30-40 minutes into the show.

This whole Karlsson saga seems to change with the wind daily. I too am now starting to believe that these "insiders" are just drumming up hot takes so that people will follow them on Twitter and tune into anything they have to say. Seems like they are all just posturing because a sale is imminent and I also do believe EK knows that and he will play here if the sale gets completed. It honestly feels like these guys are now making stuff up on the fly.

Hopefully this is a play from the Karlsson camp to put pressure on the Sens and potentially decrease the likelihood of a trade and when new ownership comes riding in, even if its in November, an EK extension is announced.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Tanev maybe?
I like Tanev, but at almost 29, he's probably too old for the direction we're going. With Karlsson likely gone too, we should be looking at prospects & picks with all our trades imo.

I'm starting to think we should just blow this thing up if Karlsson is really going to leave in this fashion.

Trade Karlsson, Hoffman, Duchene, Pageau & Smith for young players, picks & prospects. Don't hamstring the Karlsson trade with Ryan since we won't need the salary room anyways, and don't buy out Gaborik for the same reason. Live with the fact you don't have the 1st next year.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I like Tanev, but at almost 29, he's probably too old for the direction we're going. With Karlsson likely gone too, we should be looking at prospects & picks with all our trades imo.

I'm starting to think we should just blow this thing up if Karlsson is really going to leave in this fashion.

Trade Karlsson, Hoffman, Duchene, Pageau & Smith for young players, picks & prospects. Don't hamstring the Karlsson trade with Ryan since we won't need the salary room anyways, and don't buy out Gaborik for the same reason. Live with the fact you don't have the 1st next year.

Yeah agreed, if Karlsson leaves we need to blow it up. I'd try to re-sign Duchene/Stone/Chabot to long term deals to build around. Give Colorado the 4th and tank next year. Wouldn't bother buying out anyone since were gonna suck anyway for 3 years, may as well just keep them around.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/edmonton-1...make-a-move-just-for-the-sake-of-it-1.1116139

(About 9:30 in, may have messed up a phrase or word here or there, so listen yourself to fully understand the context)

Lebrun on EK's willingness to extend as part of a trade

I do believe the Senators when they keep saying on July 1st there'll be a contract offer, but what you really have to ask is he himself ready to sign at this point, or is a trade better for everyone involved. (...) I still bet on a trade, I think teams have begun circling back to Ottawa wondering about that. (...) There's no shortage of interest if EK is being traded, a lot of the same teams will probably circle back, there might be new teams, lots of teams who view him as a way to become a contender. An interesting thing (...) the understated part about this is the assumption by a lot of people that EK will definitely sign an extension this summer regardless of which team he is with. I think you have to be careful there, I'm not saying that he won't, but I'm just saying that I know for a fact that that's not a certainty. There's very much the possibility that you're acquiring a player with one year left and beyond that who knows. That's an added element that hasn't been talked about too much. (....) Maybe he does sign an extension which helps everyone, it helps Ottawa especially, but if he doesn't it means the better offers were on the table at the TDL.

Reactions: pzeeman

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
To me, it sounds like, he'll sign an extension, but only somewhere he wants to be. I don't think that's exactly a surprise. It doesn't sound like an extension is rules out completely, only that it shouldn't be assumed he'll do an extension with just about any team. I guess we'll find out how limited his list of ideal destinations where he'd re-sign is if/when it comes to trading him.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Mods can delete this if it's against the rules. Hopefully it's okay since it's not the full article, and only a snippet. Here is what Lebrun wrote a few days ago on the same subject on the theathletic.com.

– I think the one aspect regarding Erik Karlsson and his playing future that’s been underplayed is the fact that he’s under no obligation to sign an extension this summer, not with Ottawa, not with any team trading for him. It is his absolute right, if he chooses, to play out his final season and hit the July 2019 UFA market if that’s what he so desires. Now, I’m not saying that’s where he’s leaning. I’m just saying there’s been an assumption by many that if he doesn’t sign with Ottawa this summer that an extension would be part of any trade. Maybe, but maybe not. If if the answer is maybe not, it devalues his trade stock from a Senators’ perspective, that is for sure. And people will look back and say the Senators should have taken that offer from Vegas at the trade deadline, or whatever San Jose or Nashville or Tampa Bay offered. Because back then, his value was two playoff runs, now it might be just one if indeed he doesn’t sign an extension this summer.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
To me, it sounds like, he'll sign an extension, but only somewhere he wants to be. I don't think that's exactly a surprise. It doesn't sound like an extension is rules out completely, only that it shouldn't be assumed he'll do an extension with just about any team. I guess we'll find out how limited his list of ideal destinations where he'd re-sign is if/when it comes to trading him.

Personally, I hope he is trying to diminish his trade value as a kick to the stones for Melnyk and deservedly so. Dorion and the Ottawa media will attempt to spin this as to blame Karlsson, so as a parting shot, he is refusing to sign anywhere, thus decreasing his trade value.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Mods can delete this if it's against the rules. Hopefully it's okay since it's not the full article, and only a snippet. Here is what Lebrun wrote a few days ago on the same subject on the theathletic.com.

– I think the one aspect regarding Erik Karlsson and his playing future that’s been underplayed is the fact that he’s under no obligation to sign an extension this summer, not with Ottawa, not with any team trading for him. It is his absolute right, if he chooses, to play out his final season and hit the July 2019 UFA market if that’s what he so desires. Now, I’m not saying that’s where he’s leaning. I’m just saying there’s been an assumption by many that if he doesn’t sign with Ottawa this summer that an extension would be part of any trade. Maybe, but maybe not. If if the answer is maybe not, it devalues his trade stock from a Senators’ perspective, that is for sure. And people will look back and say the Senators should have taken that offer from Vegas at the trade deadline, or whatever San Jose or Nashville or Tampa Bay offered. Because back then, his value was two playoff runs, now it might be just one if indeed he doesn’t sign an extension this summer.

This reminds me so much of myself in high school having to write a minimum 5 page book report on something I hadn't read. This is the longest "I dunno" I've seen in my life.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Dream scenario generator:

Ok, so I put all the variables in, and added some pixie dust from last nights viewing of Peter Pan with the kids, here it is:

Ottawa trades Karlsson to the VGK for Glass, Theodore a 1st 2019 first and a conditional 1st (becomes a 2nd if Karlsson doesn't re-sign).

Ottawa trades Hoffman and the Conditional first to Edmonton for 10 OA.

New ownership is announced a day before the draft. Alfredsson named team president. Management gets upgraded with external help

Ottawa Drafts Zadina 4th OA Ottawa trades 4OA and the 2019 VGK pick for 2nd OA drafts Svechnikov, Kravtsov at 10 OA, and Miller at 22nd OA.

Karlsson goes to UFA, Alfredsson convinces him to come home and sign with Ottawa.

Everybody has ice-cream sandwiches for desert.

Do you happen to work at SAIL, the Outdoor Superstore? Because you, my good sir, are pitching tents all across HF!

Now, if you will excuse me, I need to adjust my pantaloons.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
So glad we're in the final stretch here. Finally something will happen one way or the other, or at least I assume it will. I guess the scenario of Tavares'ing the situation is still possible.

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
Dream scenario generator:

Ok, so I put all the variables in, and added some pixie dust from last nights viewing of Peter Pan with the kids, here it is:

Ottawa trades Karlsson to the VGK for Glass, Theodore a 1st 2019 first and a conditional 1st (becomes a 2nd if Karlsson doesn't re-sign).

Ottawa trades Hoffman and the Conditional first to Edmonton for 10 OA.

New ownership is announced a day before the draft. Alfredsson named team president. Management gets upgraded with external help

Ottawa Drafts Zadina 4th OA Ottawa trades 4OA and the 2019 VGK pick for 2nd OA drafts Svechnikov, Kravtsov at 10 OA, and Miller at 22nd OA.

Karlsson goes to UFA, Alfredsson convinces him to come home and sign with Ottawa.

Everybody has ice-cream sandwiches for desert.

All this is missing is Pierre's signature move; the hug and high-five.

If we get new ownership before July, 2019, and Alfie is involved, I could see this happening.

Edit: by "this" I mean the EK re-sign, the rest is too much to hope for (lol).

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
These insiders seem like more like outsiders based on their latest scoops. A whole lot of "This may happen, but won't be surprised if nothing happened"

Bobby Mac seems to be the last credible one.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

If its not bad news in Ottawa and the Senators it will not get reported.

Even though I know what the Toronto and Montreal media is like I find it incredibly short sighted the way they are so negative about Ottawa all the time. Having a competitive team here is good for Montreal and Toronto's organization, media, fans etc. However it seems they are dead set on tearing this down as much as humanly possible. I am not saying the negativity is not warranted with whats gone on but the people that they project this on have no influence on the situation were just simply fans.

Reactions: topshelf15

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
A whole lot of "This may happen, but won't be surprised if nothing happened"

Notice this on the radio all the time. Anytime Mendes has Lebrun or Dreger on they never have anything relevant to say. There was a time where I looked forward to hearing these guys opinions and now it seems that they are more in it for their own personal reasons, Dreger to push Insider Trading and Lebrun to plug his Athletic articles, and since The Athletic is a paid site, Lebrun never goes into any detail because he wants you to read his stuff.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
With Ottawa basically being a one man show with Dorion atm, it seems like leaks would be hard to come by from anyone other than himself or the players camp. So it would make it seem like anything that comes out would be intentional on his part.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Karlsson plans to take this to UFA. Time and time again these players have shown money is the number one priority even if their words say something else. If he accepts our offer, he's likely in the 10-11 mil range. If he gets traded and signs with that team, it's probably in the 11-13 range. If he goes to market as a UFA, he could dwarf that significantly with something absurd like 14 or 15.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
This would be my approach:

Hoffman+ for RNH/ROR
Karlsson for Subban+

OR

Hoffman+ for Hamilton/Trouba (probably some more likely options out there for top 4 d just cant think of them)
Karlsson for Draisaitl+

Draft: Zadina/Tkachuk/Dobson and another solid prospect at 22 (seems like we have some good options there too)

In theory: cover the 2C spot to play with Stone and get a young top 4D to play beside Chabot

A lot of people want futures deals but I hope we do not go that route

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
To :edmonton:
Tyson Barrie
Mike Hoffman
2019 COL 2nd pick

Edmonton in: Barrie, Hoffman, COL 2nd 2019
Edmonton out: Klefbom + 10th

To :sens:
2018 Oilers 1st pick (10th OA)
2018 AVS 2nd pick (47th OA)
2019 Sens 1st pick (our own pick returned)
J.T Compher
Oscar Klefbom
Connor Timmins

Ottawa in: 10thOV 2018, 47thOV 2018, OTT 1st 2019, Klefbom, Compher, Timmins
Ottawa 0ut: Karlsson, Hoffman, Ryan

To :avs:
Erik Karlsson
Bobby Ryan

Colorado in: Karlsson, Ryan
Colorado out: Barrie, Compher, Timmins, 47 OV 2018, OTT 1st 2019, COL 2nd 2019

Thoughts?

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
To :edmonton:
Tyson Barrie
Mike Hoffman
2019 COL 2nd pick

Edmonton in: Barrie, Hoffman, COL 2nd 2019
Edmonton out: Klefbom + 10th

To :sens:
2018 Oilers 1st pick (10th OA)
2018 AVS 2nd pick (47th OA)
2019 Sens 1st pick (our own pick returned)
J.T Compher
Oscar Klefbom
Connor Timmins

Ottawa in: 10thOV 2018, 47thOV 2018, OTT 1st 2019, Klefbom, Compher, Timmins
Ottawa 0ut: Karlsson, Hoffman, Ryan

To :avs:
Erik Karlsson
Bobby Ryan

Colorado in: Karlsson, Ryan
Colorado out: Barrie, Compher, Timmins, 47 OV 2018, OTT 1st 2019, COL 2nd 2019

Thoughts?

I think its terrible for us personally

when you trade the best d-man in the game + a 25 goal scorer and you dont get a 1st line player/top pairing dman back you have f***ed up

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad