Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Yeah, this team can't afford to keep Duchene at ~8 million, Stone at ~8 million, Karlsson at ~10 million. Just no way around that.

Then you have 7.5 tied up in Bobby

Part of the Turris deal feels like they were just buying time. 1 year of Turris vs 2 years of Duchene.

How bad will that deal look if Duchene walks? So they probably sign him to save face. Which leaves Karlsson as the odd man out.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
The Site That Must Not Be Named is claiming an 85% probability that Karlsson is a Ranger this summer. On the remote chance that this is legitimate, I can't think of a single player aside from Skjei and maybe Zuccarello I'd actually want from that team in return.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
The Site That Must Not Be Named is claiming an 85% probability that Karlsson is a Ranger this summer. On the remote chance that this is legitimate, I can't think of a single player aside from Skjei and maybe Zuccarello I'd actually want from that team in return.

Skjei Andersson/Buchnevich 9th overall & next years first

Cant see the Rangers seriously looking at him though

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Please tell me you're not talking about Hockeybuzz....

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Part of the Turris deal feels like they were just buying time. 1 year of Turris vs 2 years of Duchene.

How bad will that deal look if Duchene walks? So they probably sign him to save face. Which leaves Karlsson as the odd man out.
I’m pretty much convinced management/ownership has made a decision about Karlsson. The whole July 1st promise seems like a PR stunt to show that they can make promises to the fanbase. It’ll be an insulting lowball offer and they’ll tell fans they tried.

I don’t understand how we could be an hour away from moving a franchise player only to step away and sign him to a long-term deal. That’s more of a “let’s see how much we can get for him in the offseason” move. How can anyone be so unsure of what to do with a franchise player? Was an extra piece from Vegas the deciding factor on whether he wanted to alter the future of the franchise?

Last edited:
Reactions: DJB and Bean Drown

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

So I guess we can rule out Karlsson to the Rangers then.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Yeah, let’s just give up on a 21 year old with one pro year of hockey under his belt. It’s not like he can improve, right?

Of course he can improve. I just don't see the skill to be anything more than a 3rd liner. If we could package White and 22 and move up to say #10, you take that and run.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
you know we signed bobby ryan to more money than that right?
At the time, Ryan had four 30 goal seasons to his name, along with over 50 pts or pacing for it in all but his first season. He had come off a 27 goal pace in his first year as a Sen. So, from a production standpoint, Ryan was far more established than Kane, and came with zero baggage of being a lousy teammate. It's perfectly fair to say we overpaid for Ryan even at the time, but I really don't see him and Kane as comparable. Ryan had a considerably strong bargaining position imo.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
At the time, Ryan had four 30 goal seasons to his name, along with over 50 pts or pacing for it in all but his first season. He had come off a 27 goal pace in his first year as a Sen. So, from a production standpoint, Ryan was far more established than Kane, and came with zero baggage of being a lousy teammate. It's perfectly fair to say we overpaid for Ryan even at the time, but I really don't see him and Kane as comparable. Ryan had a considerably strong bargaining position imo.
right.... the comment was " look at kane's money, how does melnyk expect to compete" my response was to show "look, the guy signs cheques of comparable size"

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
right.... the comment was " look at kane's money, how does melnyk expect to compete" my response was to show "look, the guy signs cheques of comparable size"

Nobody is complaining because SJ signed a player at 7 mil, they are complaining because by signing a player of that quality to that deal, they are inflating player costs (in reality, player cost is tied to revenue, so really, it's shifting who gets the money). This isn't about 7 mil dollars, it's about who is getting it.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
What's the difference?

Just a smart ass remark in that I believe the team in general makes enough money or should if run properly that covering these salaries would and should be easy however I believe the current owner has no interest in spending to compete but rather to personally profit. I view the owner and team itself as two separate entities, the latter being around for the long haul and the former hopefully not!

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
It's not something I've made up, it's been an issue for a few years in the NHL, and RHD are indeed in demand.

I am one of the few that believe that EK65 will be signed to an Extension by the Senators this summer....... and that Ceci will also be retained.

How Much Does a Right-Handed Defenseman Go For Anyway…

Short supply of righty D-men will mean big bucks for Mike Green, Cody Franson | The Hockey News

it has nothing to do with you making anything up, im well aware RHD are in demand. Im commenting on the absurdity of having one of the best RHD ever to play hockey in his prime and losing him and keeping a very average one.
you know, instead of keeping the generational player and maxing out the value of an in demand type player.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
If only they gave Alfie his damn $5.5M contract as he demanded, we wouldn't be here with that bullshit contract.

This team looks at short team savings than end up paying for it ten folds in the long term.

Alfie $5.5M 1 year contract ended up being >> Bobby Ryan $50M 7 year contract with 3 assets given up to.

Cowen, Weircioch, Greening, Michalek's contracts if we just ended up playing the rest of it out was owed which was $2.65M for Greening, $4M for Michalek, $3,1M for Cowen = $9.75 All expiring in 16-17 season. In the end we ended up committing to Phaneuf's contract which is owed the rest of the $28M for 4 years which is then traded for Gaborik for an improvement of $19.5M. Oh we also ended up giving up a 2nd rounder, a budget team giving up picks in order to "save" money short term. What a well thought out process.

Last edited:

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
If only they gave Alfie his damn $5.5M contract as he demanded, we wouldn't be here with that bull**** contract.

Not wanting to pay an extra million on the Alfie contract ended up costing him 50 million. Penny wise pound foolish.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If only they gave Alfie his damn $5.5M contract as he demanded, we wouldn't be here with that bull**** contract.

Alfredsson was asking for more than 5.5. He signed with the Red Wings at market value. With the Senators he wanted above market value in order to compensate him for playing through the final year of his previous contract at only 1M per. Alfredsson claimed that final year was only put there to help the Senators circumvent the cap, and that both sides felt Alfredsson would be retired by that point. Meaning neither side had intended to value Alfredsson at only 1M in salary for the 12-13 season.

When Alfredsson felt good and decided to play, he claims to have brought up the issue with management/ownership about signing an extension to compensate him. I don't recall if he claimed whether there was a promise made to extend him, and then it just never happened.

Bryan Murray disputed Alfredsson's version of events, claiming that the 1M per season year was there because Alfredsson wanted his money up front.

Alfredsson's ask from the Senators was either a 1 year deal for 7 million, which would mean that he would have played 12-13 and then 13-14 for an average of 4 million per season. Or, his ask was a 2 year deal for 12 million, meaning he would have played all 3 seasons for roughly an average of 4.33 million.

You're right about the Ryan thing though. One of Bryan Murray's selling points to Alfredsson was apparently that he had a trade for Bobby Ryan lined up, and that he wold not be able to pull the trigger on the deal if he paid Alfredsson 7 million dollars.

It's likely that we had somewhere in the vicinity of 9 million dollars to spend on players since Ryan made in the 5.5 range, and we signed MacArthur for 3.25M. Assuming Alfredsson's side of the story is true, what Murray and Melnyk did was wrong, but from a ruthless sports point of view, it shows why moving on from Alfredsson might have looked like the right move at the time. With our budget, retaining Alfredsson would have prevented us from acquiring what was supposed to be a superstar goal scorer, and a reclamation top 6 forward. While Alfredsson was still a top 6 forward in his own right, management was right to be concerned about his durability.

In the long term, we would have been much better off keeping Alfredsson. It wasn't anything anybody could have predicted, but MacArthur is now out of the league, Bobby Ryan has seen a tremendous decline with injuries that have limited him to contributing roughly 30 points this most recent season, and we would have retained Silfverberg and a top 10 draft pick. Given that we would not have had Ryan and MacArthur who were major contributors in the 13-14 season, and that Alfredsson who was limited to 68 games for the playoff bound Red Wings might have been shut down much earlier, there's a reasonable chance that pick would have been in the top 5.

So yeah....you are right, mostly with the benefit of hindsight, not keeping Alfredsson let off a ripple of events that likely has set our franchise back years. While myself and others were on board with the Ryan extension at the time, given our budget, rising player salaries, and Ryan's inability to stay healthy, that contract is crippling.

(Sorry for the long post)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Would have to be a heck of a package. Skjei, Kreider, Anderson, 1st. Which they likely wont do so I am not sure how that even happens. They dont have the high end assets and wont want to gut the organization.

Reactions: Silencio
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad