News Article: Trade Rumors: Elliotte Friedman Speculates on Potential Athanasiou Trade With Hurricanes

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
That is an acceptable return for AA for sure there.

Guessing we would have to add something. But if they move AA for a top pairing D-man I am not going to cry about it.
Even if you think Faulk is more 3/4 than 2/3, I still make that deal. AA is flashy, but I've yet to see an indication that he will continue to put in the work for more consistency on offense, let alone be willing to round out his game.

So he's a nice piece to have, but not as nice as a reliable top 4 defenseman. Sign me up.

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
I lurked the cane's board and they talk about this trade on one of their posts, they were on the fence, some feel he would thrive in their system, while others feel AA is overrated.
but faulk is proven and he would easily be a top d on the wings right now.

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
"
First of all, this doesn’t read as him talking about something he’s been hearing. So, it should be clear that this seems a lot more like speculation than reporting on chatter around the league.
Secondly, this isn’t a trade that I would be happy with. Early in his career, Faulk seemed to be on the trajectory of first pairing NHL defenseman. I don’t think that’s the case any longer.
Faulk is better than anyone we currently have on defense, but that’s not saying that much. I think that Athanasiou’s potential is enough to bring more of a return. I could of course be completely wrong.
As much as I don’t want it to be true, I think it’s more likely that Athanasiou leaves Detroit in the next year or two somehow than he stays. But, I think that the return should be more than Justin Faulk.
What do you think? "

Guess he feels AA is more valuable than faulk

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I take the deal, I just hope we can shed a few contracts on top of Green to lessen the blow of the caphit.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
2 years then we sell Faulk?

I don't think Detroit wants to negotiate with AA again, do they?

Wait, does this Faulk rumor undermine Greens value? What is happening here?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
A 3/4 sounds like a shitty return to me but maybe that's because it's been forever since we've had a 3/4 who was worth a damn.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
After looking into it a bit more, I have concerns. So far this season he only has 19 points in 54 games and is -19.

To put that in perspective, a broke down Kronwall has 13 points in 49 games and is -7.

I havent looked at advanced stats yet, but for a guy that from what I know is known for his offense, you would think he production would be at least in the 20's by now. He has pretty much regressed every year over the past 4 years.

Here are his stat lines:

In 2015 he scored 49 points in 82 games which is good for .60 PPG
In 2016 he scored 37 points in 64 games which is good for .58 PPG
In 2017 he scored 37 points in 75 games which is good for .49 PPG
In 2018 again he has 19 points in 54 games which is good for .35 PPG

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Sorry I don't buy that Justin Faulk isn't a top line defender. The Canes have an impressive back-end and are distributing ice time more evenly. Should that factor into his value, sure. We also live in a world where we are chasing a 25 year old US Olympian at our worst position with a sub 50 point pace guy... I know he is exciting, but this is a move we should heavily consider.

I like watching AA, he is exciting. I understand those that just like the excitement and entertainment value he brings. But with Faulk in the building we have an important building block that helps our young guys slot into the lineup and develop better. He and Hronek can solidify our right side for the next couple years at least. He is an ideal trading chip if we don't like what we see and don't extend him.

But imagine we could enter next season with Cholowski, Faulk - Hronek early callup or starting depending on his summer and our potential top 10 draft pick probably a year away. That D is all sub 26, how different does that group feel. If we hit the Dahlin lottery lookout while making this acquistion our group changes overnight.

Reactions: Z40 and RedWingzz

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
His ppg has noticeably declined. Just eyeballing some numbers, and it seems like his power play production has slipped. I wonder if they've shifted their power play away from him a bit and more towards Hanifin. I know his minutes on the powerplay haven't went down, but I wonder if his usage has changed.

On whether we should deal Athanasiou for him, probably. I think we get a little hung up on what Athanasiou could be versus what he is. He could become a 20 minute a night horse we can really hitch the club to. Or he could continue to be what he is, a middle 6er with occasional streaks of greatness and occasional streaks of blahness. Thing is, even if he trends towards the former, it's still hard to pull a ton of value from a productive wing lately. By most reports Holland has been dangling Tatar and Nyquist for a couple of years now trying to bring back a D and it hasn't happened, and they aren't bad players to be dangling.

Also, anyone following this organization should have known Holland would do whatever he could to replace Green. I thought he'd overpay in the summer, but dealing Athanasiou to bring in a guy like Faulk is a means to the same end.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
AA and mrazek for Faulk?
Just so we can avoid the nightmare of negotiating new contracts with them

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I like Faulk, but why do we make this trade? We are in need of a rebuild and adding a 26 year old, he would be 30 by the time things start to turn around.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I like Faulk, but why do we make this trade? We are in need of a rebuild and adding a 26 year old, he would be 30 by the time things start to turn around.

So? If we are contending in 4 years, 30 isn't that old for a top D-man (if you perceive him as that). I'm not saying I necessarily want him, but his age shouldn't be an issue. I think sometimes people get way to caught up with age. Its one thing if he was 30 now, but the kid is 25.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
And would be a great transition piece on defense, to get from the current dumpster fire to (hopefully) all the kids hitting their prime.

Really, you know Holland isn't letting any facet of the team just be the youth, so if my choices are trading for a guy like Faulk, or continuing to supplement with the Trevor Daleys of the world, I'll go with Faulk, even if it costs them AA.

Reactions: Oddbob and Ezekial

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Faulk would speed it up... You think every single move makes the wings 4 years away? If you add little things upon little things you complete a rebuild/retool much faster

Reactions: Oddbob

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
After looking into it a bit more, I have concerns. So far this season he only has 19 points in 54 games and is -19.

To put that in perspective, a broke down Kronwall has 13 points in 49 games and is -7.

I havent looked at advanced stats yet, but for a guy that from what I know is known for his offense, you would think he production would be at least in the 20's by now. He has pretty much regressed every year over the past 4 years.

Here are his stat lines:

In 2015 he scored 49 points in 82 games which is good for .60 PPG
In 2016 he scored 37 points in 64 games which is good for .58 PPG
In 2017 he scored 37 points in 75 games which is good for .49 PPG
In 2018 again he has 19 points in 54 games which is good for .35 PPG

Good Lord, it's even worse at 5 on 5
14-15 .24 G/60 .93 P/60
15-16 .21 G/60 .69 P/60
16-17 .52 G/60 .73 p/60
17-18 .19 G/60 .31 P/60

.31 p/60...
Yikes