Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread XXXV: Filling roster holes post Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinCider

Dec 15, 2005
Earth
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1464867

The cap will be going up again shortly. And it could be going up by a lot over the next few years.

I've heard that too, still seems like this team needs to be better up the middle, on the back end, and in goal. We don't have a single top pairing dman, let alone 2 of them. It's debatable whether or not, we have a number 1 goalie. I'd offer sheet Pietrangelo, 7 years, 9 million per. That's where I would prefer the Oil spent their money.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
I'd take Penner back in a heartbeat. If we're making the playoffs next year (and I sure as hell hope we are), we need a guy like Penner in the lineup. Who in our current lineup is capable of battling it out in front of the net with Chara? No one. Penner has the size and skill we need up front. He's a much more talented Bickell. He's an element that we don't have.

It would be a good acquisition at a reasonable price. After MacT left, Penner exploded here on a terrible team and put up 32 goals and 63 points during the 2009-10 season.

The next highest scorer was Gagner, with 41 points.

It's probably the best season played by an Oilers forward since the Doug Weight days given the absolute garbage he was playing with (and the absolute mess the team was left in thanks to Lowe and MacT).

But, according to MacT, he doesn't work hard enough, so that is that (even though he could have a good season and be traded for a first round pick again if we miss the playoffs).

Hopefully MacT will see the light, but I won't hold my breath.

Ganz

Dibs
Nov 4, 2005
Upton
Could it be that MacT and crew were in Los Angeles on Wednesday talking to Clifford?

hmmm.......

They should of spent time with Penner at iHop and check out if there is a fit. Rebuild that bridge. I'd take Penner back.

Clifford seems like a good idea, definitely bold. But can Clifford play top 6?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I've heard that too, still seems like this team needs to be better up the middle, on the back end, and in goal. We don't have a single top pairing dman, let alone 2 of them. It's debatable whether or not, we have a number 1 goalie. I'd offer sheet Pietrangelo, 7 years, 9 million per. That's where I would prefer the Oil spent their money.

In a perfect world, sure, AP would be the best possible option. But I think the Blues match any contract and move out other guys to get under the cap. And they will probably deal those players cheap to other teams in the same division as the team that offersheets AP.

And the deal I am for adds Vanek and Ehrhoff. Ehrhoff isn't AP, but he'd be our best d-man for sure.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Something to ponder, and I'm not saying the Oilers will do this but..

Edmonton went out and signed Andrew Ference...Portland Winterhawks Memorial Cup winner

They got Boyd Gordon....Rebels memorial cup winner

and Jason LaBarbera? Portland Winterhawks memorial cup winner

David Clarkson? He was a Memorial Cup winner too

Other Memorial Cup Winners available:
Brendan Morrow
Manny Malhotra
Colby Armstrong
Adam Henrique (RFA)
Brendan Mikkelson
Cody Franson (RFA)
Jonathan Blum
Zenon Konopka (via trade)

Wouldn't be surprising if Edmonton signed Morrow for 2nd line LW, considering he was on the same team as Ference and LaBarbera

EDIT: Also, considering MacT wants toughness, wouldn't be shocked if they trade for Konopka for 4th line C.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Oshie is exactly what this team needs, problem is, how do you get him from St. Louis? It'd be a ridiculous ask.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Sabres fans seem to be pleased with Paajarvi and a 1st, let alone adding a prospect like Marincin. I'd hope MacTavish is pushing Buffalo on this one. We have a lot of fire power up front but Vanek fits a need of a LW with size. He also has ties to Alberta and has previously signed here.. why wouldn't he sign again? Especially considering all the good things happening here.. Great young up and coming team and a new arena on the way..

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Yeah Morrow is a good option too, I wonder how much he's asking though. His previous contract with Dallas was signed 6 years ago so he might want a raise, and he's also quite old now.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Sabres fans seem to be pleased with Paajarvi and a 1st, let alone adding a prospect like Marincin. I'd hope MacTavish is pushing Buffalo on this one. We have a lot of fire power up front but Vanek fits a need of a LW with size. He also has ties to Alberta and has previously signed here.. why wouldn't he sign again? Especially considering all the good things happening here.. Great young up and coming team and a new arena on the way..

Fans are a bad barometer of what a deal would look like, though.

But I keep waiting for that "Wow" deal.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008

I'd give MacT a standing ovation if he dealt Paajarvi + 1st for Vanek and then signed Morrow or a good LW on line 3.

And I love Paajarvi, enough that I really don't want to deal him compared to many posters on the board (I'd rather deal Petry and Gagner) but if it took that to get Vanek...sold

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Why would we waste an offersheet on Clifford? Go big or go home. Pietrangelo or McDonagh, maybe Stewart if we're desperate for size. Clifford has done absolutely nothing to show he can handle a top 6 role, we'd be better off giving Paajarvi a shot. Also, like others have said before, they're a frequent trading partner and you only piss off a frequent trading partners if the player is worth it like a Doughty/Kopitar.

Dustin Penner is the guy that fits our team best. Say what you want about him, but he instantly makes us a better team. Brenden Morrow/Jaromir Jagr are shadows of their former selves, but if we strike out on the trade market, giving them a 1 year bridge deal is worth the risk. I'd much rather focus on trying to trade for a defensively responsible physical 2nd line forward like Foglino/Kulemin/Berglund/Oshie.

Vanek and Perron are just as soft if not softer than the likes of Paajarvi/Eberle, we don't need that.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
I'd give MacT a standing ovation if he dealt Paajarvi + 1st for Vanek and then signed Morrow or a good LW on line 3.

And I love Paajarvi, enough that I really don't want to deal him compared to many posters on the board (I'd rather deal Petry and Gagner) but if it took that to get Vanek...sold

If MacT could pull off that trade and bring in Clifford I'd give him a standing o with a very slow clap.

I too would hate to see PRV go but he's the best trade chip we have to soften the blow to the team giving us a #2 LW aside from our 1st.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Clifford could probably be had from the Kings considering they have 5.2m in cap space, and still need to sign Clifford, Nolan, Lewis, Martinez, and Muzzin. I don't see Clifford as a top 6 though.

McOilers4cup

Finally
Jul 14, 2007
High Hopes
e9Nitmr.gif

@IAmByks: After hosing the #Stars on the Horcoff trade, Mac T & friends continue to harass Dallas GM Jim Nill. @OilersNation: http://t.co/lnK5DCRjZT

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Clifford could probably be had from the Kings considering they have 5.2m in cap space, and still need to sign Clifford, Nolan, Lewis, Martinez, and Muzzin. I don't see Clifford as a top 6 though.

Clifford would be a decent plan B, but I think he would be in the bottom 6. Still would give us some grit some where in the line up. He could play some top 6 mins as well, but woudln't like him there that much.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

Depends. a guy like Hartnell prolly wasnt anyone's idea of a top winger but he's the perfect banger to play with 2 skill guys.

I'm thinking Clifford could be our Hartnell.

if 4x$3m for Clifford costs you a 2nd why on earth haven't we done this?

it's worthwhile even if Clifford ends up as the 3LW for that price given the market these days.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
What about Chad LaRose for the bottom 6? He's scored 19 goals on 2 different occasions for the Hurricanes, including 19 in 67 games in 2011/12. He had a 1.7m cap hit the last 2 seasons.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Depends. a guy like Hartnell prolly wasnt anyone's idea of a top winger but he's the perfect banger to play with 2 skill guys.

I'm thinking Clifford could be our Hartnell.

if 4x$3m for Clifford costs you a 2nd why on earth haven't we done this?

it's worthwhile even if Clifford ends up as the 3LW for that price given the market these days.

I would just talk to LA about a trade. Tell them you are thinking of offer sheeting Clifford, but would rather work out a deal instead.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Why would we waste an offersheet on Clifford? Go big or go home. Pietrangelo or McDonagh, maybe Stewart if we're desperate for size. Clifford has done absolutely nothing to show he can handle a top 6 role, we'd be better off giving Paajarvi a shot. Also, like others have said before, they're a frequent trading partner and you only piss off a frequent trading partners if the player is worth it like a Doughty/Kopitar.

Dustin Penner is the guy that fits our team best. Say what you want about him, but he instantly makes us a better team. Brenden Morrow/Jaromir Jagr are shadows of their former selves, but if we strike out on the trade market, giving them a 1 year bridge deal is worth the risk. I'd much rather focus on trying to trade for a defensively responsible physical 2nd line forward like Foglino/Kulemin/Berglund/Oshie.

Vanek and Perron are just as soft if not softer than the likes of Paajarvi/Eberle, we don't need that.

You probably would have said the same thing regarding Kesler offersheet in 2006 and Backes offersheet in 2008.

Also, offersheets are not amnesty buyouts...you're not restricted.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Instead of offer sheets MacT should try to trade for players like Clifford. Give up a 2nd in 2014 for example.

I'd also try to get Rundblad for cheap. PHX has 8 dmen signed. Rundblad was making noise about signing in KHL. He's RHD. Might be worthwhile gamble.

I also hope MacT sniffs around for prices on Jenner and M. Foligno who both would be huge additions.

I'd use Gagner, MPS, Hemsky our picks in 2014 and players in AHL as trade bait to fill our holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad