Trade Rumors and Proposals IX: 2016 1st, Thomas and Eller for your best player ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
First, all I saw was the Eller, Emelin, 2nd.

Secondly, I probably dislike Ryan O'Money more than anyone here, but you have to be fair. The Avs would want at least a 1st and then useful things

As far as I'm concerned Money bags can stay away from here. Far, far, far away from here.
Yeah, that was someone else's offer. I added Tinordi because I though the original offer was a joke. You may not like me as a poster or my opinions, but there's no way you can think I don't know my puck.

I don't like O'Reilly much either, and there's many other wingers I'd rather go for. But if that offer was the only thing on the table.. I'd take it.

I'd much prefer making a substantial offer for someone like Marleau. Or giving a similar offer to net someone like Sharp.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
Based on MT's press conference yesterday, Bergevin might just be offering Eller and Sekac around the league. However, they don't have "abilities" according to their coach and their value, based on MT's assessment, should be limited. Luongo had a good chest on Markov's "attempt".

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The Habs should be sticking with their own program, play the young kids as much as humanly possible over the next couple of months. Get them NHL experience in time for the playoffs, then play them some more in the playoffs getting them real experience. When our prospects break into the lineup(McCarron, Scherbak) alongside our Bulldogs next season, then play the crap out of them again all of next season, while maintaining a wildcard playoff spot. The last ten games bring on the regulars to get the playoff seed, then play the crap out of our young prospects again, if the Habs make the Stanley Cup Finals then be selective. If not the team will be well seasoned for the SC run in 2016-2017, a well balanced team with lots of experience in NHL regular and SC Playoff seasons, that can win and be the favorite to win.:nod: These are time honored procedures the Habs have done in the past with great outcomes, just follow the tried and true methods of our illustrious past teams to the promised land.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Based on MT's press conference yesterday, Bergevin might just be offering Eller and Sekac around the league. However, they don't have "abilities" according to their coach and their value, based on MT's assessment, should be limited. Luongo had a good chest on Markov's "attempt".

If Bergevin is shopping both of them... :shakehead

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
My trade list available:
David Desharnais
Lars Eller
PA Parenteau
Tom Gilbert
Mike Weaver
Jarred Tinordi
Charles Hudon
Sven Andrighetto
Dustin Tokarski
Many Malhotra
Christian Thomas

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
My trade list available:
David Desharnais
Lars Eller
PA Parenteau
Tom Gilbert
Mike Weaver
Jarred Tinordi
Charles Hudon
Sven Andrighetto
Dustin Tokarski
Many Malhotra
Christian Thomas

Why on earth would you make Hudon available before giving him a look in the show

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

At this point you wont get anything for them.

Other DGs don't like to give assets for guys who are not wanted anymore.

Other DGs will offer players like Bourque.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
At this point you wont get anything for them.

Other DGs don't like to give assets for guys who are not wanted anymore.

Other DGs will offer players like Bourque.

You're wrong, Im 100% sure some teams would be high on Sekac, Eller maybe not as much but comparing his value to Bourque's is ridiculous

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
so should we just stand idle and piss away Price's prime years?

No, but it's kinda late. To build around Price, should of traded all those UFAs a few years ago for picks instead of letting them go for nothing trying to finish around 8th all the time , and hence should of semi tanked a couple more years, especially 09-11.

Also traded a bunch of seconds and 1 first those years, again to desperately finish around 8th repeatedly.

The tanking crew is really getting redemption right now. Habs are so close, yet so far. We are seeing the results of those years in the offense right now.

And don't say hindsight. (Not you, I mean the board) A lot of people here knew Habs were blowing their future back then, by not getting higher picks.

See how tough it is to reach that next level with just trades and UFA? Johansen at C and OEL on D would sure look good right now eh? That was entirely possible with a 6th overall in 09 and a 4th overall in 10. Many teams have had higher first round picks two years in a row.

And even without that, by trading UFAs for picks at deadline instead of desperately trying to make PO, having an extra 4-6 second round picks and 1 or 2 extra firsts might have landed one or two stars over those years. Players that could be on the team right now.

Too late now.

Next time the Habs are in a **** cycle, and need to rebuild, I hope people on this board remember this current difficulty trying to build through trade, and can accept trading UFAs at deadline, and even a short term tank. I doubt it.

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Although we lost last night, the game resolved a question I had about this team. I no longer think we need a defence man. When Gonchar & Emelin come back I think we're fine with Tinordi and Pateryn as 7-8th d-man. Also, even if one of those two veterans don't make it back for the playoffs I wouldn't make a trade for a d-man. I think one or both of Tinordi & Pateryn can do the job if they're used the rest of the regular season. Making a trade for a d-man would be a lateral move at best.

Where we need to come to a decision is upfront - specifically the #1 center man spot. Although I love DD, he IS NOT a #1 center man. He is not even our best #2 center man. So they have to decide do they return Chuckie to center and take their lumps or do they go for a #1 center.

If they go with Chuckie that means they need to trade for a scoring winger.

If they don't go with Chuckie they need to replace DD at center. He has shown he is not a #1 center man and he is incapable of playing #3. He can play the 2 spot but right now we have a #2 that plays head and shoulders above him.

Whichever decision they make, trading Eller doesn't make sense to me. And I'm not one of those fans that believe Eller has untapped scoring ability. I think he's very good two-way #3 center man. That's it. But DD is the excess baggage and is not helping this team. Whether we trade for a centerman or a winger, DD needs to go in a package or on his own.

Last edited:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Although we lost last night, the game resolved a question I had about this team. I no longer think we need a defence man. When Gonchar & Emelin come back I think we're fine with Tinordi and Pateryn as 7-8th d-man. Also, even if one of those two veterans don't make it back for the playoffs I wouldn't make a trade for a d-man. I think one or both of Tinordi & Pateryn can do the job if they're used the rest of the regular season. Making a trade for a d-man would be a lateral move at best.

Where we need to come to a decision is upfront - specially the #1 center man spot. Although I love DD, he IS NOT a #1 center man. He is not even our best #2 center man. So they have to decide do they return Chuckie to center and take their lumps or do they go for a #1 center.

If they don't go with Chuckie they need to replace DD at center. He has shown he is not a #1 center man and he is incapable of playing #3. He can play the 2 spot but right now we have a #2 that skates circles around him.

So trading Eller doesn't make sense to me. DD is excess baggage and is not helping this team. Whether we trade for a centerman or a winger, DD needs to go in a package or on his own.

Reasonable post. Interesting comment about the Defense. One thing I didn't see mentioned much is the fact that Gilbert has a pretty good game last night. As much flack as we give Gilbert and Emelin, the habs having them on their bottom pairing is a luxury.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Why on earth would you make Hudon available before giving him a look in the show

...because he makes horrible proposals. Surprised Price/Subban aren't on that list.

He also suggested that Eller falls more then DD, yet he has higher possession numbers. The two do not correlate at all. Falling more does not equal have the puck more...

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Reasonable post. Interesting comment about the Defense. One thing I didn't see mentioned much is the fact that Gilbert has a pretty good game last night. As much flack as we give Gilbert and Emelin, the habs having them on their bottom pairing is a luxury.

A bottom pairing made of Gilbert and Emelin is not a problem. 6+ millions is lot of money for a 3rd duo but few teams have a better 3rd duo than that.

And since Tinordi and Pateryn can come in and help in case of injury we don't need any help there.

The only question when it comes to the defense is Gonchar. He is still good enough. But he will need days off. Personally i agree with him we should focus on improving the forwards and gamble with Gonchar.

If our forwards group would spend more time in the O zone we would allow less shots.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Again, Eller's value is next to nil. Not the time to trade him at all. By low - sell high.

Yeah but if you keep him it might create a problem in the locker room one day or another.

With what Therrien said yesterday i would trade him. If we don't get anything so be it there's nothing we can do.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Don't think MB will be making any significant trade this deadline. I believe that he will address any issues this coming summer. Hockey trades are difficult to make on deadline, for various reasons.

Pierre Lebrun mentioned this on the radio that MB had inquired about Vanek's availability about a month before the trade deadline, however he was not available as the Islanders were trying to sign him at that time. When the deadline arrived and Vanek was not signed, Garth Snow was pretty much desperate to get ride of him, therefore he contacted the Canadiens, since they were one of the very few contending teams that had cap space and offered Vanek. Vanek basically fell on MB's lap.

Will MB try to pull a big trade come this deadline? I will not be shocked, but a little surprised if he does.

Should the Habs stay pat on deadline, MB will say to the fans and Media that this is a transition season and that he will re-evaluate things during this coming summer.

Time will tell.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

The only thing that frightened me about the defence was what if we ran into a series of injuries. Last night that fear was allayed for me. I think Pateryn & Tinordi can fill in quite capably. I'm not a big Gilbert fan but on the third pairing with sheltered minutes I think he can do a good job - better than other d-men we had in that spot in previous years.

I know LG and few others claim that our GA is solely because of Price. I don't buy it. He is a very big reason but our defence as a whole is a very good group. Now seeing that Tinordi & Pateryn are ready - at least I think they are - it would be a waste of assets to trade for a d-man. I would use those resources to solve our issues up front.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Florida is looking to move Bergenheim for a 3rd, i think he'll prob end up fetching a 4th + an average prospect. He's a very good all around player but he doesnt have any finish, he'd be a good acquisition but we're obviously not a Sean Bergenheim from winning the cup.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Florida is looking to move Bergenheim for a 3rd, i think he'll prob end up fetching a 4th + an average prospect. He's a very good all around player but he doesnt have any finish, he'd be a good acquisition but we're obviously not a Sean Bergenheim from winning the cup.

Don't we already have a number of players like on the roster:

Sekac, Eller, Thomas, Bourinval....do we really need another. We need another goal scorer up front. I'm not really comfortable with having just Patches. Even if he overcomes his post season lackluster play, we need someone else to carry some of the goal scoring weight.

Blood On The Ice

Jul 17, 2007
Montreal

Where we need to come to a decision is upfront - specifically the #1 center man spot. Although I love DD, he IS NOT a #1 center man. He is not even our best #2 center man. So they have to decide do they return Chuckie to center and take their lumps or do they go for a #1 center.

If they don't go with Chuckie they need to replace DD at center. He has shown he is not a #1 center man and he is incapable of playing #3. He can play the 2 spot but right now we have a #2 that plays head and shoulders above him.

Whichever decision they make, trading Eller doesn't make sense to me. And I'm not one of those fans that believe Eller has untapped scoring ability. I think he's very good two-way #3 center man. That's it. But DD is the excess baggage and is not helping this team. Whether we trade for a centerman or a winger, DD needs to go in a package or on his own.

I agree with all of this. I really like DD myself and think he gets way too much heat on HF but it is absurd to think that he can be our #1C down the road and with Pleks on board, I don't see him beeing our #2C either.

That's where ROR can be usefull, on the wing or at the C position. The more I think about it, the more I tend to agree that it might be the best option comes trade deadline. His 6M is indeed hard on the cap but we would have him for another year at least. At that point, if he is happy here and we keep winning games and go far in the playoffs, we'll see if we are able to sign him. If not, trade him for a somewhat decent return.

I just have a hard time seeing what we can offer for him for all of this working out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad