Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
The way Danault has been playing lately, he's starting to fill the 2C role as good as we could hope to find elsewhere. If Plek can settle into the mentor 3C role for a while then we're good at the C position once Chuck is back. DD is the one that doesn't fit on the lineup the most.

I still think that if we are going to make any deadline moves, DD will be traded. I don't see how we create capspace any other way.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
That's true but we still have to fit under the cap in terms of cap hits with the 23 man roster, which I think would be the case if DD doesn't go the other way.

It looks to me like it should fit. If DD is on LTIR until at least mid-february (wishful thinking?) we'd have about 2m in deadline space. Stafford would be about 1.1m, DD 900k, and then we'd presumably be able to save like 350k (a quarter of two AHL players making 700k ea) from sending two of our call-ups down to make room.

It seems to me we'd only have to move DD or have the other team retain salary if we planned to make another deal at the deadline.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I.... just don't see a point in moving for Drew Stafford at this moment, unless there's things I don't know about this player.

Unless the idea is to have some crazy depth or something. Because he'd be, realistically, our 4th best RW in a best-case scenario when everyone is healthy, and he doesn't exactly strike me as being any good at shot suppression.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
It looks to me like it should fit. If DD is on LTIR until at least mid-february (wishful thinking?) we'd have about 2m in deadline space. Stafford would be about 1.1m, DD 900k, and then we'd presumably be able to save like 350k (a quarter of two AHL players making 700k ea) from sending two of our call-ups down to make room.

It seems to me we'd only have to move DD or have the other team retain salary if we planned to make another deal at the deadline.

Fair enough, kudos for picking up on that.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I.... just don't see a point in moving for Drew Stafford, unless there's things I don't know about this player.

I've always compared him to a North American version of Kostitsyn. He's pretty inconsistent as a player and with his frame but he has some nice tools. He's still fairly young and I have more hope for him in delivering than a Sharp or Vrbata and IMO he would be cheaper. He can take some FOs, he's a right shot and a better player than Flynn/Ghetto/Scherbak. He played 1 min on the PK on average last year so I guess he's not abysmal in his own end.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I've always compared him to a North American version of Kostitsyn. He's pretty inconsistent as a player and with his frame but he has some nice tools. He's still fairly young and I have more hope for him in delivering than a Sharp or Vrbata and IMO he would be cheaper. He can take some FOs, he's a right shot and a better player than Flynn/Ghetto/Scherbak. He played 1 min on the PK on average last year so I guess he's not abysmal in his own end.

... I still think we can use our assets, and our capspace, in a signficantly more intelligent manner.

Because he's realistically a 4th liner on this team... And would be playing to the beat of a very different drum than his linemates.

I'd rather have McCarron at RW at this point.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Danault isn't a 2nd line C yet. And he won't be for this team's cup window. For now he's a 3rd liner.

Yeah, but it's still darn good we have a darn good CENTER in Danault...our center depth has definitely improved (and I beg...no more 5'5 DD for playoffs...no more). Our team is better with Danault as 3rd center, but who knows...maybe he will continue showing that he can also be a good 2nd center (he's currently playing well as a #2 center). But yeah...I'd like to add another #2 (or #3) center before the playoffs (to improve our center depth...quality/quantity, injury insurance,etc). And, we don't have to rely on McCarron so soon (as a #4 or #3 center)...give him time to fully develop (18min+ in AHL) and call him back for playoffs 2017 and then playoffs 2018 (get all you can get from him in the AHL so maybe he can be a top 6 forward vs bottom 6...with FULL development/confidence/experience). And, Shaw when healthy can stay on right-wing, and not be used as center sometimes.

Maybe we don't need to add an expensive Duchene...maybe adding a Couturier or Couturier-esque type of center instead can do the job (Galchenyuk/Pleks/Danault or a Couturier-esque center/Mitchell/McCarron).

Galchenyuk
Pleks/Danault
Danault/Pleks/Couturier
Mitchell

If all our centers are healthy...one of Couturier (or Danault) can go on the LEFT-WING until a center is injured (one of Galchenyuk/Pleks/Danault/Couturier). More insurance for our 1st-2nd-3rd line center depth for playoffs.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009

DD's LTIR isn't really relevant to our deadline cap space.. even when on LTIR, their salary is still counted towards our yearly capspace. LTIR lets us exceed the cap by a preset formula for the duration of the players time on LTIR.. We can't bank LTIR space.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
DD's LTIR isn't really relevant to our deadline cap space.. even when on LTIR, their salary is still counted towards our yearly capspace. LTIR lets us exceed the cap by a preset formula for the duration of the players time on LTIR.. We can't bank LTIR space.

Actually, if DD stays on the LTIR for the reminder of the season, then it works a bit like a cap credit. I mean, it's the exact same mechanism as if he's out until February, but the effect is the team can exceed the Cap for the reminder of the "effect period" of the cap. The Cap isn't in effect during playoffs, but the sheer impossibility to make a significant move after the Trade Deadline means that it doesn't matter, EXCEPT for the LTIR thing.

Your post is, in essence, right.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
:habs

Adam Henrique
Jon Merrill

:devils

1st 2017
2nd 2017
Tomas Plekanec
Noah Juulsen

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Lekhonen-Henrique-Gallagher
Byron-Danault-Shaw
Carr-Mitchell-McCarron

Merrill-Weber
Beaulieu-Petry
Markov-Emelin

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Why Oduya? We have Markov, Emelin, Beaulieu in left defense. They're all better than Oduya

We need depth for a playoff run in case of injuries. Barberio should not play in the playoffs.

Yup, always have to be properly equipped in case of injuries.
And, add another #3 center (or #2 center if you can!) in case of injuries...Galchenyuk/Danault/Pleks/Mitchell/McCarron. If Duchene is too expensive...go for a Couturier-type center, no?

Leftie dmen:
<if Barberio is there in our 5-6-7 spots for playoffs...I give up! (heck...I don't want to see DD there in playoffs, either ...the only 5'5-5'6 forward I'd want for playoffs is Theoren Fleury). Gotta make sure Barberio doesn't get close to our #5-6-7 spots.
<in case of injuries
<in case one or two of Markov/Emelin/Beaulieu are -6 after only two playoff games,etc.

And, Bergevin could also try to add a RIGHTIE dman...slightly better than Pateryn/Redmond...or we just go with Pateryn/Redmond.

I'd rather go for Stafford than Sharp or Vrbata tbh. Will come for much cheaper.

Same here...Stafford, but at the right price (I've wanted Stafford for 4-5 seasons now! hope he still has some gas left for playoffs?!). And, Vrbata...soft, not soft for playoffs? Gritty/resilient enough for playoffs? Righties...Radulov, Shaw, Gallagher, Flynn, McCarron...we're pretty set there but good playoff teams have good depth. I'd add a Stafford, but only at the right price (_?_+DD).

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
So... you want Merrill on our first pairing. I'd be curious to hear your arguments for that one...

Well, I forgot to put Merrill/Beaulieu as a swap, but Merrill (if you have watched some Devils games, I'd guess no but still possible) really came into his own and improved this year and is probably the only bright spot on their D-corp ( Severson is still too inconsistent but did well on a poor team too).

I truly think he could handle being Shea's Partner (he does make every player around him better) as he's a steady D-man and a good skater.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
Despite the progression of Danault, i still am not sold on him becoming a top 2nd line center and i would hope the Habs will still target one in a trade. (and no, Plekanec is still not an option for me).For a myriad of reasons, the Panthers have been a total disappointment this season. Maybe they want to shake things up. Now that Lehkonen is increasing his value with his strong play, would a package of Lehkonen, Lingren(or McNiven), Plekenec and a first round pick for Huberdeau or Bjugstad work?

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Despite the progression of Danault, i still am not sold on him becoming a top 2nd line center and i would hope the Habs will still target one in a trade. (and no, Plekanec is still not an option for me).For a myriad of reasons, the Panthers have been a total disappointment this season. Maybe they want to shake things up. Now that Lehkonen is increasing his value with his strong play, would a package of Lehkonen, Lingren(or McNiven), Plekenec and a first round pick for Huberdeau or Bjugstad work?

Bjugstad is made of paper mache. Pass on that dude.

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
Lot of 4th line/depth proposals here... true to MB form

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I truly feel MB will trade for a proven centre, no maybe's like Yak as a singer

He can't take the chance of a bust .
Which I agree,. MD is a plus, world cup for a reason

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Henrique isn't getting traded. Why would New Jersey trade him?

Bjugstaad could be had I'm sure. Not sure he pushes this team over the top for playoff push.

Hanzal is a wet paper bag. Don't think he would be worth the price of admission.

Nugent-Hopkins I would go after for sure. Not a big fan to be honest, but at least he has the capabilities. He would push Danault down to the 3rd center position. Giving the habs a nice depth of Galchenyuk - Nugent - Danault. To facilitate this trade salary has to go. Not sure this one is realistic.

Duchene may be available. Another nice pickup. Creating a similar situation to the above though.

And to me, if Nugent-Hopkins goes anywhere it will be the offseason. Duchene may cost an arm and a leg with a team that is being desperate overpaying. Kind of like the O'Reilly trade.

So who else is out there that improves the team where they need to improve? The 2nd line center position. Hanzal is not a 2nd line center. I'd rather let Danault continue to improve with more ice-time and offensive wingers than bring Hanzal or Bjugstaad in.

My guess?

Habs go into playoffs with Galchenyuk - Plekanecs - Danault as top three center. So they might actually look to improve on the LW position or LD position instead. Because to me Duchene is the only good option at center.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I think Grigorenko ended up in Colorado because of Roy. With Roy gone, he may be available for trade. With a great leadership group, he could find a comfortable role here in MTL as a playmaking 3LW this year and, in the future, potentially as a 2C. Habs could make a strong move for now and the future if they were to acquire him.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I think Grigorenko ended up in Colorado because of Roy. With Roy gone, he may be available for trade. With a great leadership group, he could find a comfortable role here in MTL as a playmaking 3LW this year and, in the future, potentially as a 2C. Habs could make a strong move for now and the future if they were to acquire him.

Aside from being drafted high, what's he done to be worth anything?

We need proven talent now, not projects.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009

Ya there is better options available out there not to mention from that roster itself.

I'd take Landeskog in a heartbeat.

Landeskog for Beaulieu and a 1st

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Ya there is better options available out there not to mention from that roster itself.

I'd take Landeskog in a heartbeat.

Landeskog for Beaulieu and a 1st

Colorado would laugh at that. If it's true that COL wants D, gotta think Sergachev or Juulsen are going to be in any deal for Landeskog or Duchene.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013

Dynamic (great shot, playmaking ability, ability to control pace on the PP, etc.) offensive ability in sheltered minutes and on the PP. He's a capable NHL player, but hasn't yet developed into anything spectacular. If the Habs can play him on the third line and on the 2nd wave PP, I think there could be real benefits there. I doubt he'd be overly costly and he may end up blossoming into a top-6 centre with size and offensive skill. Like picking up a PA Parenteau type player with upside.

The team exists beyond these playoffs and next year. Setting the team up to have a strong centre group for several years down the line while seeing some benefit on special teams this year could be a very good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad