HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
At least 6 teams are over the cap right now and a few more are going over when they have to sign their RFA's. Patience grasshopper.
Caps have enough LTIR to get under the cap if Oshie can't play.
Avs and Knights will probably also use LTIR, that's what they did last year...
Oilers are looking to put Kane on LTIR instead of trading him now that they learned he had a bobo.

The rest can just waive a min salary player to get by.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023
Wouldn't Florida be a prime candidate to take on Price's 10.5M contract. I mean they:

-are almost exactly at the cap
-would certainly like to have Tarasenko back and perhaps his 5M ish contract would be ok
-have a 4.5M guy you can demote without waivers (how often do you see that?) and call back immediatly after placing Price on LTIR and this goalie has 2 years remaining like Price's contract

Thoughts? Would that work?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
For a nice sweetener? Sure. Otherwise no. Beyond the off ice stuff and the injury history, he's basically an offense only winger now.

I'd rather take a gamble on Laine or sign Tarasenko.

Reactions: CDN24

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
1000005942.gif

• Haha

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I have no problem playing the slow game.

First MTL does need to move bodies. Ylonen punted was a start

Dvo, Anderson, Gally, RHP, Armia. Ideally all would be gone but not realistic.

At worst id swap a few of these just for different type of forward. Ie, physical and will stand up for teammates. Wont improve the team but change the makeup.

Id try Laine but at what cost and is the character there?

And honestly, i could care less if not much changes and another top 5 picks comes our way. For the good of the future, it isnt the worst option. Add another yr of deadweights are burned and more likely buyout will happen

Last edited:
Reactions: HuGo Sham

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Yeah, no.

Runs counter to what they are building in house.

In 2-3 years, when the young core is solidified in their own careers & leadership, it's absolutely the type of buy low gamble on a character issue player that could be valuable... Not now.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
- Gallagher played 14:17 a game 2 years ago and 13:47 last year, both years these were near the very bottom of our forwards TOI.
- He spent most of last year with Evans, Dvorak, Armia, RHP and Anderson at ES and only finished the year with Newhook because like half of our forwards were hurt. The year before he spent most of his time with Dvorak, Dadonov, Evans and Hoffman.
- His PP minutes have gone way down, the only reason he still sees PP time is due to how weak our forwards have been. Even Tanner Pearson was on our PP last year it was that bad.

His contract sucks and he's not going anywhere with his NMC, but the last half of last year he actually played well and showed when he plays lower ice time he can help contribute.
He almost spent half of the season playing between the likes of Monahan, Suzuki and Newhook as his teammates.

He roughly had 20 games with Monahan at the start of the season and when Monahan couldn't carry the corpse of Gallagher anymore we inexplicably gave him a promotion playing with Suzuki for 5 games.

Once 1/3 of the season was completed he finally got downgraded but was given a decent teammate in Armia who was a much better option than any of our bottom 6.

His icetime started decreasing but after complaining to Stu Cowan in the media for playing on the 4th line he got promoted again and finished roughly the last 15 games of the season with Newhook.

I understand injuries certainly played a factor but a regular bottom 6 player wouldn't have gotten as many opportunities as Gallagher did.

Add all the PP minutes and late game 6 on 5 and the lack of general accountability for his dumb penalties and for me it just reconfirm my belief that not all players are treated with the same level of standard.

He needs to sit a few games next season. Enough of giving unlimited chances to the likes of him and the Dumb Donkey.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
2 year term and probably a manageable cost to acquire. RW which we can use in our top 6? Yup, I believe we are in on Laine. It fits.

It's a discussion. If you don't like the idea, don't talk about it.

Don't talk about it????lol.....You are the one making up crap and you rightfully got called out on it

So what you are really saying/asking is that you want to make ridiculous claims on a public message board and not be questioned for doing so. You claim that the entire management team and Suzuki want Laine without a shred of evidence and nobody should challenge you on that.....you are basically cheating at solitaire lol.

Reactions: mdk

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
All these talks for Laine or that Winnipeg guy with that unmemorable name , Necas, Zegras...Come on !

ZADINA is the man we should sign . He's faking to be a bust but it's because he wants to play for Les Canadiens de Montréal !

The guy will put tonnes of pucks in da net

Zadina ! Trust me !

- an anonymous woman

Would you do that trade:

(MTL) Matheson (50% retained) for (NSH) Askarov + Lauzon + 2026 1st round pick.

Or something like that...
YES ! For something like that ;

Put the name of Gallagher instead of the one of Matheson and i would do it

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Habs can again weaponize cap space. They need $4M to fill out the roster With wifi , Barron and a forward. It they trade a player and retain they can add a couple million. A few teams have cap issues. Would oilers have us take on Ceci? any other opportunities ?

this is not a thread hijack!

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
All these talks for Laine or that Winnipeg guy with that unmemorable name , Necas, Zegras...Come on !

ZADINA is the man we should sign . He's faking to be a bust but it's because he wants to play for Les Canadiens de Montréal !

The guy will put tonnes of pucks in da net

Zadina ! Trust me !

- an anonymous woman

YES ! For something like that ;

Put the name of Gallagher instead of the one of Matheson and i would do it
He’d be great for Laval.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
I wonder what Columbus is asking for with Laine.

It's an interesting fit, but someone we could slot on the 2nd line hopefully and at least on the 2nd PP wave. He only has 2 years left on his current deal, if it works out he could be the top 6 player we've needed. If it doesn't, then at least we can move on sooner rather than later.

Strictly looking at the 2024/25 season, Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf, Dach, and Newhook should make up our top 5 of the 6. I know some will say they want Newhook on the 3rd line but I really believe if he can just stay healthy he will have a breakout season.

A Newhook - Dach - Laine combination behind Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky looks like it would be good on paper.

Until they give me reason not to, I will continue to trust the management team to make the right call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad