HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Arpon Basu comparing Bertuzzi/Teravainen etc. etc. to Dvorak and Gallagher is such a poor argument. Yeesh.

EDIT: His arguments are arguably poor. Trying to make a link between Alzner's contract ending and Marchessault? Ignoring Ullmark in Ottawa? He's just butthurt and I think Godin is being really nice. At least Basu acknowledges that a lack of movement may hurt the young players.
Yeah, and how Dach is an add.

And Monahan's not a loss?!

Deebs

Life is an illusion
Feb 5, 2014
I'm watching more and he goes more and more into what I've been saying yesterday. He acknowledged that it's on management's radar that not getting anyone after all this losing isn't a great look to the young players.

But the game changer thing is such a strawman to me. No one is saying we're going to the conference finals with a Marchessault or or or. Like Godin says, it's about helping the young guys take that next step even if the next step is just competing for a playoff spot instead of being in the basement again. There's real value in that both on and off the ice.
But signing those guys to 4-5 year deals just isn't a smart decision for where we're at right now. Nashville wants to win now and deal with the consequences in a couple years when those contract look gross.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
But signing those guys to 4-5 year deals just isn't a smart decision for where we're at right now. Nashville wants to win now and deal with the consequences in a couple years when those contract look gross.

Regardless, Basu is running on cope and wishful thinking. Godin sounds a lot more measured and realistic.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
So, questions for you guys. Let's imagine the Habs trade neither Anderson nor Gallagher and that both have a similar 2024-2025 season than the past one (aka majorly disapointing and ehh, respectively)

Do you buy them out both, just one? Which one would you buy out?

As it stands, a buyout for either player is too damaging to the cap structure to be done this offseason, but it becomes much more palatable the next one. Armia, Evans and Dvorak will be UFA so that's three more spots, but I can see Evans being re-signed for a few more years

The Habs are very dense in terms of B+ prospects and have been rather frugal with respect to their top players contracts. If they want to really get it going next season with Demidov's arrival, they could buyout one or two of them and sign a UFA or two

What do you guys think?

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
So, questions for you guys. Let's imagine the Habs trade neither Anderson nor Gallagher and that both have a similar 2024-2025 season than the past one (aka majorly disapointing and ehh, respectively)

As it stands, a buyout for either player is too damaging to the cap structure to be done this offseason, but it becomes much more palatable the next one. Armia, Evans and Dvorak will be UFA so that's three more spots, but I can see Evans being re-signed for a few more years

The Habs are very dense in terms of B+ prospects and have been rather frugal with respect to their top players contracts. If they want to really get it going next season with Demidov's arrival, they could buyout one or two of them and sign a UFA or two

What do you guys think?

Gally would be the obvious choice for buyout because of his age?

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Gally would be the obvious choice for buyout because of his age?
Funny, I was gona say the opposite, Anderson as Gally finished the season somewhat on a better note and can bring some leadership from the 4th line.

Josh is just.... useless if he not putting up pts

Reactions: morhilane

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I love that we did nothing in the Frenzy. We have very outside shot at playoffs. Next summer is the year to pull the trigger.

Let's see what we have this year and add a superstar vet next summer to potentially compete for the cup 25/26.

Our window fully opens next summer.

Suzuki, Caufield, Dach and Slaf in or reaching peak. Demidov starring as a rookie. Crosby to show them the way.

defense all a year further along.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014

What do you guys think?
Don't see us in a position to need to buyout anyone next summer.
They'll bury them in the AHL if they need to roster spot or try to cap dump them in a trade before using a buyout that'll only prolong the cap agony on those contracts. Buyouts should be used when you need the short term cap relief, which we shouldn't at this point in time.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

What do you guys think?

I assume this is 2025 offseason? You don't buy either of them out. Even if Guhle gets a long term contract, Montreal could have as much 25 mil in cap space (plus another 10 mil in LTIR room).

Montreal could conceivably sign a Rantanen/Draisaitl caliber player and still not come close to having to buy either of them out.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I assume this is 2025 offseason? You don't buy either of them out. Even if Guhle gets a long term contract, Montreal could have as much 25 mil in cap space (plus another 10 mil in LTIR room).

Montreal could conceivably sign a Rantanen/Draisaitl caliber player and still not come close to having to buy either of them out.

This guy capfriendlys

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I honestly don't see how signing Bertuzzi, Foegle, or any of the depth d-men available helps this team in the short-medium, and long-term.

I would be really surprised if Marchessault is productive for the entirety of his contract, and we already saddled with dead-weight like Dvorak, Gallagher, Anderson, Armia. I don't think any of the middle 6 players available makes this team better and it all it does is tie up more money to players we will want to have moved in a year or two.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
@Spring in Fialta good discussion though, I appreciate your points of view and even agree with some of them to a certain degree.

I think mostly what you’re expressing is frustration at the lack of tangible progress. Which again, I understand.

I just look at it a bit differently, there’s phases to this “rebuild”. I don’t quite think we’re in the “results” phase of said rebuild yet.

@Spring in Fialta good discussion though, I appreciate your points of view and even agree with some of them to a certain degree.

I think mostly what you’re expressing is frustration at the lack of tangible progress. Which again, I understand.

I just look at it a bit differently, there’s phases to this “rebuild”. I don’t quite think we’re in the “results” phase of said rebuild yet.
Agree…but let me add….i do believe that we are in the let’s get out of the bottom 10 phase, essentially it equals up to more meaningful wins with growth and conviction.

Of course health is always the caveat in all this but our team, the players need to show some growth and that winning attitude

Those are probably the RESULTS I’m looking for

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Agree…but let me add….i do believe that we are in the let’s get out of the bottom 10 phase, essentially it equals up to more meaningful wins with growth and conviction.

Of course health is always the caveat in all this but our team, the players need to show some growth and that winning attitude

Which I wouldn't bet on with the roster as is. Like I'm 95% sure it's not happening. It's going be a season similar to the last two. I'm just hoping the young players don't get discouraged/disgruntled.

Reactions: jaffy27

Errol Swaghammer

Sep 1, 2011
Yes, Huberdeau is 6'3 and doesn't play a heavy game. That's why his production dipped in half wgen he went from playing with Barkov to Kadri.

Slaf, Dach, and Suzuki may be enough in the top 6 to make space for their linemates. At the end of the day time will tell and time will tell whether HuGo see it that way.

In the short term, I'm in favor of signing Skinner to a 1 or 2 year deal. I think he may be a good offensive player for Dach to play with, and then get us a pick at the tdl of his ufa season.

Huberdeau didn't play as much with Barkov as people think, and he definitely hasn't played with Kadri while on the Flames.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I honestly don't see how signing Bertuzzi, Foegle, or any of the depth d-men available helps this team in the short-medium, and long-term.

I would be really surprised if Marchessault is productive for the entirety of his contract, and we already saddled with dead-weight like Dvorak, Gallagher, Anderson, Armia. I don't think any of the middle 6 players available makes this team better and it all it does is tie up more money to players we will want to have moved in a year or two.

Okay but even if someone like Marchessault isn't productive for the entirety of the contract, wouldn't there still be worth to him being productive for 2-3 years and helping our guys along? Then if he sucks, you find a way to deal with it like other teams in the league do but you still got those positive years out of him that helped you take the next steps even if he's not there for a Cup run or something.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Okay but even if someone like Marchessault isn't productive for the entirety of the contract, wouldn't there still be worth to him being productive for 2-3 years and helping our guys along? Then if he sucks, you find a way to deal with it like other teams in the league do but you still got those positive years out of him that helped you take the next steps even if he's not there for a Cup run or something.
But what if you feel you can do just that but internally?

What if they think Joshua Roy can step in and play a Top 6 role and be productive?

Or

What if they think they can target someone in a trade where they can somewhat control the financial commitment given to said player?

I think there’s many ways to skin a cat, the offseason has just begun and I doubt Hughes isn’t trying to fill that exact role via a trade.

The trade market is a much more appealing market than the UFA market if we keep it a buck!

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
But what if you feel you can do just that but internally?

What if they think Joshua Roy can step in and play a Top 6 role and be productive?

Or

What if they think they can target someone in a trade where they can somewhat control the financial commitment given to said player?

I think there’s many ways to skin a cat, the offseason has just begun and I doubt Hughes isn’t trying to fill that exact role via a trade.

The trade market is a much more appealing market than the UFA market if we keep it a buck!

I'm not ready to appoint Roy over Marchessault and that's not even getting into the off-ice value of a guy like him.

Regarding a trade, that's the only thing I'm holding out hope on but offseasons start and finish very fast 99% of the time.

Who would we target? Laine? He'd fit the short-term high money thing Hughes was talking about but we have no idea what his NTC looks like or if the Canadiens have any interest. Zegras I don't think is realistic. Necas, sheesh, if I'm the Hurricanes, I'm licking his skates this instant. What else is there?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

What do you guys think?
I wouldn’t buyout anyone until I know this team is a Division/Conference favorite and I need that cap flexibility.

Otherwise there’s no point IMO, just continue eating the salary until it becomes possible to get rid of it at a minimum cost or just let it run out.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Until I get my armchair GM mode back, I'm rioting. Maybe a new season of EHM will scratch the itch for a while... This is how people go from legitimate drugs to fentanyl laced street garbage you know. The washington capitals martin shkreli'd my shit.
PuckPedia is working on an armchair GM mode it seems. But I hate their interface, too blog for my taste.

Funny, I was gona say the opposite, Anderson as Gally finished the season somewhat on a better note and can bring some leadership from the 4th line.

Josh is just.... useless if he not putting up pts
Yep, no reason to buyout Gallagher if he can continue to play like he did at the end of the season with Newhook. Overpaid, but not useless.

Anderson can sit in the stands until his contract is done, since I don't think they will need his cap space in the next 3 season.

Reactions: Kosseca

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Eh, he did acknowledge potential player dissatisfaction but yeah, you can tell he was really irritated by the thought that the Habs could get leap-frogged/left in the dust which is a completely valid concern and possibility.
He depends on the habs generating enough interest in the fandom for his living, quite literally. Cutting promos in public on the team would be really counter productive. The same can be said for like, 95% of the local sports media TBH. Looking for the silver lining is the only way to go if you want to keep paying your bills.

Reactions: ReHabs

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm not ready to appoint Roy over Marchessault and that's not even getting into the off-ice value of a guy like him.
Next year definitely not, the year after either probably…after that…over 5 years though?

Regarding a trade, that's the only thing I'm holding out hope on but offseasons start and finish very fast 99% of the time.

Who would we target? Laine? He'd fit the short-term high money thing Hughes was talking about but we have no idea what his NTC looks like or if the Canadiens have any interest. Zegras I don't think is realistic. Necas, sheesh, if I'm the Hurricanes, I'm licking his skates this instant. What else is there?
I think the opportunity/cost with Laine is there. I don’t know his NTC situation but if they could make it work, it makes a ton of sense.

I’m sure there are more though, this is where your pro scouting has to shine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad