HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Contract would likely have to go the other way. They already had Anderson so probably has to be Dvorak.

Then you wonder what else? Is the Jets 1st too much? Or do we go with Mesar or one of our D? Barron?
I would do Dvorak and Mesar. 1st is maybe too much.

Tough to gauge what Laine value is. If he is a pure cap dump I'd say that's pretty fair

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would do Dvorak and Mesar. 1st is maybe too much.

Tough to gauge what Laine value is. If he is a pure cap dump I'd say that's pretty fair

I wonder how many teams would offer that Dvorak and Mesar package. How many teams have a space center like Dvorak? Even if he is a 3C? Mesar is like a B+ prospect. Could fall to B or go to A after next season (turns pro).

Yeah, I'd say the 1st on top is too much as well.

Reactions: HabzSauce

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I think Dallas would be good trade partner for Matheson.

Mavrik Bourque could be a nice target for us.
They already have 3 LHD in their top 4, but more importantly, Heiskanen/Harley will be the PP guys so there's zero need for Matheson. Matheson doesn't have the value that many here believe he does, other teams are fully aware of his flaws.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Winnipeg Jets in a tight spot and Rutger McGroarty adamantly refusing to sign with them, Kent Hughes could potentially acquire this young talent without having to sacrifice Mike Matheson.
In my opinion, Rutger McGroarty could be a major addition for years to come, having the potential to become a solid forward in the NHL. Possessing exceptional vision of the game and excellent skating, he could certainly be a prime option to occupy a position in Martin St-Louis' top-6.

this makes total sense does KH offer the peg #1 back??

Reactions: BLONG7

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
If we draft Lindstrom (another C), would it make sense at all to trade Beck + 26 for McGroarty?

You send Lindstrom back to Jr to make up for the time he missed this year and let Dvo play out his last year if you can't get rid of him. McGroarty's a winger so you sign him to his pro deal and he can either play up with us or down in Laval and get a sniff or two with the big club.

Beck's a good player but I've seen a lot of people project his ceiling as a third line C (a good one, but one nonetheless). His Mem Cup performance + being a C + getting their first rounder back may work for Winnipeg.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Winnipeg Jets in a tight spot and Rutger McGroarty adamantly refusing to sign with them, Kent Hughes could potentially acquire this young talent without having to sacrifice Mike Matheson.
In my opinion, Rutger McGroarty could be a major addition for years to come, having the potential to become a solid forward in the NHL. Possessing exceptional vision of the game and excellent skating, he could certainly be a prime option to occupy a position in Martin St-Louis' top-6.

I think there is something to do with Barron and the 26. The question is more what other team offering and is it that much more. Barron address a need for them (RD and puck moving D).

Reactions: HabzSauce

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

And a Dman......should do it. ??

Reactions: sampollock

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
If we draft Lindstrom (another C), would it make sense at all to trade Beck + 26 for McGroarty?

You send Lindstrom back to Jr to make up for the time he missed this year and let Dvo play out his last year if you can't get rid of him. McGroarty's a winger so you sign him to his pro deal and he can either play up with us or down in Laval and get a sniff or two with the big club.

Beck's a good player but I've seen a lot of people project his ceiling as a third line C (a good one, but one nonetheless). His Mem Cup performance + being a C + getting their first rounder back may work for Winnipeg.
Lindstrom is more likely to play W then C given his skill set, but you are more likely to make a trade with Win BAFORE the draft, so you're not sure if you're picking Lidstrom.

I think a D+26 make more sense

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

I mean, that's a weird thing to mention...as though that would ever be the cost lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Andy

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Nope. He's a late bloomer with elite level skating. The next two years will be more of the same but the next contract can be the trap.

Trade him for anything? Come on man
He's a mistake prone Jake Gardner who just had his best year, value will never be higher, and next contract will be a big mistake, and is blocking Guhle/Hutson from O-zone / PP1 time...obviously don't give him away, maximize his value before it tanks again.

Last edited:

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
They already have 3 LHD in their top 4, but more importantly, Heiskanen/Harley will be the PP guys so there's zero need for Matheson. Matheson doesn't have the value that many here believe he does, other teams are fully aware of his flaws.
Yeah agree. I love this idea on here that there are teams beating down the door to throw top 10 picks and premium young assets at us for Matheson as if other teams can't look at a TOI chart and his career point totals and figure out what happened with his 62P season. Anyone trading for him would be planning to use him as a 2nd pair puck mover and he'd be priced accordingly.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
I think there is something to do with Barron and the 26. The question is more what other team offering and is it that much more. Barron address a need for them (RD and puck moving D).
Yes, i think Barron is a natural with the Jets.

There's talk that the Jets might buy out Schmidt to clear cap space.
If the Habs take back his contract instead in the deal, i think it becomes close value wise.
Not sure they're interested to do that but that'd be a way to use their cap space.

If you assume Barron is worth at least a mid 2nd, those 3 parts of the deal amount to about 14th OA value according to PuckPedia's calculators.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Yes, i think Barron is a natural with the Jets.

There's talk that the Jets might buy out Schmidt to clear cap space.
If the Habs take back his contract instead in the deal, i think it becomes close value wise.
Not sure they're interested to do that but that'd be a way to use their cap space.

If you assume Barron is worth at least a mid 2nd, those 3 parts of the deal amount to about 14th OA value according to PuckPedia's calculators.
I think Laine is a natural for the habs too

Reactions: Yoor and HabzSauce

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
you trade a heart & soul player that's on the verge of taking the next step is a dangerous game you shouldn't probably play.
I know, but what else can they give? I love Guhle but he is more replaceable than Matheson this year. No one is playing those minutes and getting 60 plus points (again I said this year). They do have a plethora of young D to at least somewhat replace Guhle.
Is Guhle going to be a number 1 guy? Sure there’s a good chance. Will he bring the offence? Not sure on that. You aren’t getting a top 6 forward with leftovers. Believe me I don’t want them to trade him.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah agree. I love this idea on here that there are teams beating down the door to throw top 10 picks and premium young assets at us for Matheson as if other teams can't look at a TOI chart and his career point totals and figure out what happened with his 62P season. Anyone trading for him would be planning to use him as a 2nd pair puck mover and he'd be priced accordingly.
That being said, trading Mike Matheson for McGroarty is severely underselling Matheson as an asset, at least IMO.

I keep saying it, he's our best trade chip of players we could and will be selling. (we're obviously not moving the likes of Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky, Guhle).

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

you sure?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad