HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
McGroaty vs Mailloux

Which team says yes or no?
It makes sense, but to be honest, the Habs need both and that's why I kind of hope they stop trading their extra first to speed up the rebuild/retool.

You want a solid prospect pool to be able to potentially land a fairly good player that becomes available, or be able to trade a decent roster player + and have a prospect fill in up front.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think he'd cost too much honestly. I don't see a bidding war either - he's already got his issues and comes with a high cap hit.

I hope Habs are at least interested

Contract would likely have to go the other way. They already had Anderson so probably has to be Dvorak.

Then you wonder what else? Is the Jets 1st too much? Or do we go with Mesar or one of our D? Barron?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We discussed earlier and MTL says no. Big physical RHD is just too valuable. Rutger McG is primarly a power winger with some skating issue. He is a top 6 talent, that is clear.

Better approach is Jets 1st and Barron. They get a close to ready NHL D who has that size/skating/shot package and is a RD which is rare to get. Then they get their 1st back to try to hit with. Decent talent at the back of the bus in this draft.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
McGroaty vs Mailloux

Which team says yes or no?

Fair in value.

WPG says yes ***because*** McGroarty wants out.

Not sure if its good for us as it creates an immediate and important hole at RD.

I think the best path to acquire Rutger would be via an overpay in draft picks.

26OV + one of our 1st next year + a 2nd RD pick + another if needed.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I mean, I really wouldnt be opposed at all to finding a way to swap 5OA and some assets for 4OA and Laine. I think that would be incredibly shrewd.

Getting 4OA almost assures one of Demidov or Lindstrom. Laine is a bonafide top 6 player, warts and all. Silly to think otherwise. He's only turning 27 in April. He's a scorer, he's got a good build.

His maturity may be lacking, but some people mature later.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Fair in value.

Not sure if its good for us as it creates an immediate and important hole at RD.

Why would WPG be interested in receiving so much picks...

They want to improve the team here and now.

Matheson is the guy we should offer for Mcgroarty + WPG'S second round pick acquired from MTL.

We then package pick #26 and pick #37 to move up the board.

Last edited:

Deebs

Life is an illusion
Feb 5, 2014
Fair in value.

The kid isn't worth all of that. Definite overpay

Reactions: BarracudaMtl

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I mean, I really wouldnt be opposed at all to finding a way to swap 5OA and some assets for 4OA and Laine. I think that would be incredibly shrewd.

Getting 4OA almost assures one of Demidov or Lindstrom. Laine is a bonafide top 6 player, warts and all. Silly to think otherwise. He's only turning 27 in April. He's a scorer, he's got a good build.

Been saying this for a few days...it makes a lot of sense and the type of move I've come to expect from Hughes.

I think it makes a ton of sense for both teams, assuming they don't both want the same player @ #4

Reactions: Andy and Jaynki

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
2 firsts and a second is not the right approach for me, that's overkill. I like McGroaty for sure, just not that much.

I agree. Its too much in a vacuum.

I think McGroarty would bring a lot to the table in our roster tho.

If we can somewhat draft Demidov at 5 and acquire McGroarty without giving important roster player/prospect, so overpaying in picks, i think we would be set-up and ready to take the next stage in our rebuild. We would have strong F and D core with Suzuki being the oldest at F.

At some point, we will have to pay for a missing pieces to bring the thing to the next level, McGroarty probably not that piece tho.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I think when Columbus trades Laine, they will do so for a better deal than that.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think when Columbus trades Laine, they will do so for a better deal than that.
Depends what Columbus' main motivation is...if it's to trade Laine like he has the same value as he had 3-4 years ago, good luck with that.

If they just want to get his contract off the books, then it's very doable from both sides.

Reactions: Habs10Habs and Andy

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Elliotte Friedman: "It's going to be an insane week this week.. so many trades, you won't see some of them coming!!"

NHL midweek leading up to Draft: *crickets*

NBA in weird, random offweek: 5 unprotected first rounders traded for an above average player.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Just curious, apart from the fact he's on the block, what makes McGroarty such an appealing option? I haven't watched him, what style does he play?

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I can see Guhle getting moved. I know it sounds crazy, but they can’t afford to lose Matheson yet. They can’t replace his minutes or points. I love Guhle, but you have to give up quality to get a top 6

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
I can see Guhle getting moved. I know it sounds crazy, but they can’t afford to lose Matheson yet. They can’t replace his minutes or points. I love Guhle, but you have to give up quality to get a top 6
I mentioned this a few weeks ago. You aren't getting a good top six player for Barron/Kidney +. Won't happen.

Reactions: schwang26

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
you trade a heart & soul player that's on the verge of taking the next step is a dangerous game you shouldn't probably play.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad