HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024-25 Season

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
They had the whole Summer to find muscles. A guy like Kastelic (a UFA) is doing very well in Boston. A guy like Olivier could had been acquire.
I'd guess they target Jeannot as an UFA. 27 years old and probably will walk from LA. He's plug and play in the lineup and has had a few bad years in a row so won't command a whole lot. Laine really maxed out the cap. Using his LTIR space now would be unwise since he'll be back in a few months.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'd guess they target Jeannot as an UFA. 27 years old and probably will walk from LA. He's plug and play in the lineup and has had a few bad years in a row so won't command a whole lot. Laine really maxed out the cap. Using his LTIR space now would be unwise since he'll be back in a few months.
We can use Price's instead at that point.

Habs

Who needs Michkov when you've got Bustbacher
Feb 28, 2002
I think it takes a big leap in the 2025 off season. Those Bergevin deadweight contracts are slowly abating.

In the interim, they talked about culture a lot since MSL was hired but why are they not adding an experienced ex-head coach as an assistant? Who is evaluating Robidas’ work? Will we soon have to churn out Office Space memes for Grillo?

The whole coaching staff scenario that began with naming Burrows as assistant coach with PP responsibilities and then seeing MSL setting him aside, did not exactly inspire confidence. What culture is this? 💀
stop asking good questions or I'll block you sir

• Haha
Reactions: Runner77

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
3.5 if you want to be a stickler about it. Bergevins horrible off season leading into the year he got fired cannot be quantified as the start of a rebuild.
Bergevin’s bad off-season led to the team tanking that year so I don’t know why you can’t count it. The horrible start while he was still enployed played a big part in why we finished with the best chance of winning the lottery and set off the chain of events for the rebuild. Gorton was hired 23 games into that season, he hired his own GM and coach shortly after, and sold off the assets we had for what he wanted before getting a lottery pick. He was also able to go into the draft with preparation time with his own staff. I don’t know why that year wouldn’t count as part of the rebuild.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Remparts666

Feb 11, 2021
I’d love the habs to make a push for maccelli who is currently in tourigny doghouse in Utah for some obscure reasons. They are looking for help in Defense with Marino and durzi out long term.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Bergevin was fired on November 28th 2021. If we use that date as the start of the rebuild we are sitting at 2 years and 11 months. You can argue the decision to start over came a bit later also (ex: When Kent Hughes got hired or the 2022 trade deadline or when Carey Price career was over.)

For simplicity sake let's stick to when Bergevin got fired. This is still less than 3 years that the rebuild started. I don't know how some of you come up to 4 years. Jeff Gorton and Kent Hughes are doing very well knowing the mess they inherited.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Bergevin was fired on November 28th 2021. If we use that date as the start of the rebuild we are sitting at 2 years and 11 months. You can argue the decision to start over came a bit later also (ex: When Kent Hughes got hired or the 2022 trade deadline or when Carey Price career was over.)

For simplicity sake let's stick to when Bergevin got fired. This is still less than 3 years that the rebuild started. I don't know how some of you come up to 4 years. Jeff Gorton and Kent Hughes are doing very well knowing the mess they inherited.

4th season dude. 21-22, 22-23, 23-24, 24-25. We're into season 4.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Nobody is saying 4 years. They’re arguing this is the start of the 4th season of the rebuild.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
We didn't start 21-22 trying to rebuild and you adding a whole season 24-25 when it has barely started.

Let's finish this season before adding it as another year.
Slafkovsky, Dach, Heinman, Barron are all current roster players that came as a result from the rebuild that started in 21/22. The rebuild did start that year.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
We didn't start 21-22 trying to rebuild and you adding a whole season 24-25 when it has barely started.

Let's finish this season before adding it as another year.

Toffoli and Lehkonen were sold for 1sts, Hughes/Gorton were hired and to put in their own coach and could evaluate the roster before the draft.

It absolutely counts. People just don't want to admit it out of some misguided sense of making the timeline look worse. It's just cope.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I have been looking at Arber Xhekaj as a Unicorn. Clearly things are not going to plan, with people faulting Arber and MSL. Bottom line he is not getting the ice time and so the trust from MSL.

I'm not sold on Zegras but apparently Hughes was looking at him. Xhekaj is the kind of guy Verbeek likes. Zegras is not off to a good start.

I think Zegras will do well under Marty and Xhekaj will be appreciated in Anaheim more than here.

We pull a trade like this with these 2 as the main pieces we move up in skill but get cottonelle soft.

I'm not throwing this out there because I want this trade to happen, but only because of the previous interest in Zegras and the apparent disfavour our boy finds himself in.

From my view, just like with Emelin, I wad prepared to overlook defensive shortcomings because of what else was brought to the table by the player.
Hughes has tried to trade for Zegras before. He's off to slow start this season. Maybe it is time for a change?

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
Hughes has tried to trade for Zegras before. He's off to slow start this season. Maybe it is time for a change?
They need a veteran D badly.

Got to correct myself: they need everything

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Toffoli and Lehkonen were sold for 1sts, Hughes/Gorton were hired and to put in their own coach and could evaluate the roster before the draft.

It absolutely counts. People just don't want to admit it out of some misguided sense of making the timeline look worse. It's just cope.
Let's close this pointless "debate". Everyone is right. Gorton was hired 2 years and 11 months ago, Hughes 2 years and 9 months ago, Saint-Louis 2 years and 8 months ago. The first rebuild trade was 2 years and 10 months ago. However, PARTS OF of 4 seasons have unfolded since.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad