HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Status
Not open for further replies.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
All fair...

But it's amazing that some fail to appreciate what kind of skill and productivity Laine represents.

19th in goals/gp in the NHL (players with 200+ games) since 2016 when he entered the league, despite the injury issues and lost season last year... The elite scoring ability is proven.

While the injury & pap issues are obvious flags, he's only 26, and by all indications a good teammate who has improved his off ice habits since his late teens/early 20's.

There's risk, no doubt, but also a pretty massive reward, and one far more likely than what we gamble on successfully with Monahan.

Like Monahan :sarcasm:
I agree
Laine could score 30 easy if healthy

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
3 first picks for a guy that hasnt played in the NHL lol
Well the 2 first round draft picks haven’t played in the NHL either and Barron is constantly chastised whenever he plays soooooo…

But I honestly believe that Winnipeg’s 1st plus Barron for McGroarty and Winnipeg 2nd in 2025 would be a fair deal

Beck/Mailloux and the 26th is an overpay.
Insanely

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
All fair...

But it's amazing that some fail to appreciate what kind of skill and productivity Laine represents.

19th in goals/gp in the NHL (players with 200+ games) since 2016 when he entered the league, despite the injury issues and lost season last year... The elite scoring ability is proven.

While the injury & pap issues are obvious flags, he's only 26, and by all indications a good teammate who has improved his off ice habits since his late teens/early 20's.

There's risk, no doubt, but also a pretty massive reward, and one far more likely than what we gamble on successfully with Monahan.

Like Monahan :sarcasm:
Strikes me as a prime example of buy-low, indeed, like Monahan was when Calgary sent him to the Habs with a first-rounder, though perhaps not as stark a negative value. If the psychiatric issues are manageable, it's an intriguing contrarian move, especially if Columbus has few options without retention.

Edit: some of the reactions to this possible trade are evocative of the reactions when we got Monahan. A torrent of jokes about him being only good for the infirmary, though at least we got a first out of it. Likewise now, Laine repels many, thinking that they want no part of someone with a mental health disorder. My reaction every time is: is this treatable? If it is, what kind of player are we getting, at potentially a fraction of his value? It pays to be detail-oriented (and contrarian) in cases like this.

Last edited:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Oh I’m with you here, I don't even think its that much of a gamble to be honest.

I'd be all for the Habs somehow managing to

A. Add Laine and take on his entire salary
B. Swap picks 4 and 5 with Columbus and ensure the Habs get the forward they want

As long as the cost to acquire Laine isn't prohibitive, I don't think the Blue Jackets are in a position to make demands for Laine like its 2020 anymore.

Count me in.
Me too mano….I’d hope the Habs try to slide Dvorak in the trade to shave off a little salary….

Dvorak has 1yr and is half of Laine’s salary, if he does well this year he’d probably fetch you a 2nd rounder.

The big ticket here is as you mentioned, at 4, you pick your forward and not left with the leftovers.

Laine is a wildcard, not sure he figures it out but if he does, you are golden!

Reactions: Andy and 417

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Beck/Mailloux and the 26th is an overpay.
What’s the issue here?

I have zero concerns about parting with one of those assets and #26 to get McGroarty
people here always overvalue our prospects. Mailloux "should" be a #4 RHD (very good value) (upside #2, downside #6), and McGroarty "should" be a 2nd line wing (with some luck a C incase Dach gets hurt) upside 1st Line winger downside 3rd line winger.

both are ready to prove/make the NHL next year, basically the same timelines.. it's really not that complicated. If this trade were to happen, I'd be fine with the Habs taking a D man with their #5.

Reactions: SwiftyHab

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Not necessarily.
He's not saying the Habs wanted him at all cost.
Maybe they were ready to take him but only if the Kings retained 2M per year, for example. And that would be understandable.

Well its questionable and i do wonder how we would have felt if we acquired PLD.

There is something wrong with the players but man, there is still upside there and an edge in his game.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Well its questionable and i do wonder how we would have felt if we acquired PLD.

There is something wrong with the players but man, there is still upside there and an edge in his game.
The microscope in Montreal, would be insane, and no way he could ever handle it..............his play is so half hearted and awful some nights. The fans and the media would burn him at the stake.

We have dodged a bullet once again.....

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
The microscope in Montreal, would be insane, and no way he could ever handle it..............his play is so half hearted and awful some nights. The fans and the media would burn him at the stake.

We have dodged a bullet once again.....

Agree. Too many red flags. But when "on" this guy brings a lot to the table.

Reactions: BLONG7 and tazsub3

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023

That's why the Caps took a gamble on him.

I'm not saying that the Habs tried to get him for sure, but i think it's plausible.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
He's had one injury. He was healthy throughout his minor league career and he just played 82 games.

The question is whether he can return to full health on that shoulder. He SHOULD be able to but if it goes as it did for others he probably won't be 100 percent until the season after this one. Even then though, I think we can expect 30 something goals at least.

Now Dach on the other hand...
Laine hasn't played 82 games since the 2018-19 season. His last five seasons he's played 18, 55, 56, 46 and 68 games.

Beendair Donedat

Don’t be a Jimmy Juice Arse
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
For McGroarty I’d offer:

To Winnipeg: Montreal 1st round pick (26th overall, acquired from Winnipeg), Justin Barron, Jordan Harris OR Jayden Struble. Peg’s choice.

To Montreal: Rutger McGroarty

Winnipeg gets their first round pick back, and two young cost controlled defenders that play in the lineup right away.

Habs get a young talented forward for their rebuild.

Habs draft Cayden Lindstrom with the 5th overall pick. In a couple of years you have:

McGroarty - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Caufield - Lindstrom - Dach
Roy - Beck - Anderson
Tuch - Xhekaj - Gallagher

Guhle - Reinbacher
Hutson - _____
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Montembeault
Fowler
Dobes

That’s a lineup full of skill, speed and size that should be in the mix to compete for a cup once they’ve started to mature.

Reactions: Gustave and jaffy27

mols47

Mar 10, 2011
Id offer much more than 26th ov for Laine.

He is big, an excellent complementary player that would fit like a glove our age window, needs and on the 2nd line. He would thrive in a hockey market. He has a good personality.

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Laine - Dach - X

Thats 3 huge player in the to6. If we can get Lindstrom/Demidov/Iginla/Sennecke thats another 6´0+ forward.
I'm pretty sure Laine has negative value lol. Jacktets have to add to get rid of that contract.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
For McGroarty I’d offer:

To Winnipeg: Montreal 1st round pick (26th overall, acquired from Winnipeg), Justin Barron, Jordan Harris OR Jayden Struble. Peg’s choice.

To Montreal: Rutger McGroarty

Winnipeg gets their first round pick back, and two young cost controlled defenders that play in the lineup right away.

Habs get a young talented forward for their rebuild.

Habs draft Cayden Lindstrom with the 5th overall pick. In a couple of years you have:

McGroarty - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Caufield - Lindstrom - Dach
Roy - Beck - Anderson
Tuch - Xhekaj - Gallagher

Guhle - Reinbacher
Hutson - _____
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Montembeault
Fowler
Dobes

That’s a lineup full of skill, speed and size that should be in the mix to compete for a cup once they’ve started to mature.
No Newhook in your lineup?

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
Well the 2 first round draft picks haven’t played in the NHL either and Barron is constantly chastised whenever he plays soooooo…

But I honestly believe that Winnipeg’s 1st plus Barron for McGroarty and Winnipeg 2nd in 2025 would be a fair deal

Insanely

I would make a mess in my pants if they could land McGroarty for that deal, I'll throw in Struble or Harris as well. Then we can take a Dman this year @5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad