HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Any recent examples?

When the Penguins won the cup in 2017, they had one of the shortest and lightest teams in the NHL:

Lightning were also among the shorter teams in the NHL when they won their cups. Actually, I'm not sure if height correlates much with cup winners at all. Weight does more.

Reactions: TesseractPrice

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Pretty hilarious how Rob Blake has made only two trades in the last year, getting PLD then trading him :laugh:

1718824319524.png

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Well, our first line is probably the youngest in the league. We can even form a 2nd line with young kids Roy-Dach-Newhook. 1G might be true, but we already have Fowler and maybe Vorokhin in the pipeline. How many teams have true 1D and who are they? Hedman, Makar, Heiskanen, Josi?, Fox?, Q.Hughes? Hint: Do you see anyone from Panthers, Oilers, Vegas who is a true 1D. Those are cup finalist from last two years. Can any of Guhle, Reinbacher, Mailloux ever reach the level of Pietrangelo/Theodore, Montour/Forsling or Bouchard/Ekholm?
Why not..? What do you think Montour looked at 21? Bouchard really exploded last year and he is playing with f***in McDavid and Draisitle. He is 2.5 years older then Ghule? Are you not expecting any progression at all from Ghule? People on this board seem to think he is a finished product, he is not and still have lots of growing to do.

Theodore was a throw in from the ducks what do you think he looked like at Ghule's age? He was in the AHL he really took off at the adge of 24.

Bottom line is I truly believe that yes both Ghule and Reinbacher have this potential and Mailloux well, we will see. Poeple need to be patient. The team does not score a lot which puts a lot of pressure on the Dman and they are a really young group that is IMO progressing really well.

Reactions: themilosh

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Thank god we have yet again dodged PLD

Well see how he rebounds with the Caps and this time, he's playing #1C with Ovi. I find it funny where fans value Dubois when he was point/game and playing with Connor but then his points drop when they move him off that line. Then the Kings trade for him and decide to play him 3C for most of the season spreading out their talent.

Dubois was the Dubois I know with Team Canada this past WC's. Playing with talent.. Wow! Imagine that.

Certainly not a consistent player (like Anderson) but when they show up and play with talent, they produce. I can see Dubois changing his player value with the Caps with better usage and with Ovi.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Well see how he rebounds with the Caps and this time, he's playing #1C with Ovi. I find it funny where fans value Dubois when he was point/game and playing with Connor but then his points drop when they move him off that line. Then the Kings trade for him and decide to play him 3C for most of the season spreading out their talent.

Dubois was the Dubois I know with Team Canada this past WC's. Playing with talent.. Wow! Imagine that.

Certainly not a consistent player (like Anderson) but when they show up and play with talent, they produce. I can see Dubois changing his player value with the Caps with better usage and with Ovi.
He shows up and produces until he decides he doesn’t want to play anymore and needs to be traded

Avoid that guy like the plague

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'd take a shot on Laine as well for the right price and not knowing his current state but Matheson is waaaay to o high a price to pay on a gamble like that. Laine won't command such a premium at this point, particularly without BJ's eating a good amount of his cap. Barron and a pick, sure. Habs best and only proven offensive D, not a chance.

sure the lower the price the better. We'll see what the market holds.

Dubois just went as a cap dump. Maybe Laine will too. Cap space is tight. But Dubois has a lot more term on his deal....

I thought Guhle was our best dman, and Hutson and Xhekaj are great parts of the future that probably need to play now. We only have so many spots on LD (3 to be exact) and that's 4 LD's.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He shows up and produces until he decides he doesn’t want to play anymore and needs to be traded

Avoid that guy like the plague

When does that happen though? When does he fade in the shadows? I've been paying attention. It's when he's moved down the line-up and not playing with talent. That trend is clear as day with me. He's not entirely innocent for sure but there is usage/management issues connected to it.

I don't even think he is a sure shot center. I find he is a power forward winger type who can play center.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
There's two ways to look at this for LA and Blake:

How dumb was it to trade for him and sign him to that insane extension in the first place?

How smart was it to cut your losses when you foresaw it going absolutely terribly and get rid of him rather than falling victim to the sunk cost fallacy?

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
It seems every team in the league now is looking for a top 6 F and a top 4 D.
Utah has 44M+ of cap space and are now willing to spend. Even Chicago are looking for guys to play with Bedard.
Lots of teams have plenty of cap space.

Finding a top 6 F won't be easy and i fear the Habs will have to overpay if they really want to get one.
The cap going up doesn't help them.

So, are we back to Dubois? :sarcasm:
I guess not...lol

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
sure the lower the price the better. We'll see what the market holds.

Dubois just went as a cap dump. Maybe Laine will too. Cap space is tight. But Dubois has a lot more term on his deal....

I thought Guhle was our best dman, and Hutson and Xhekaj are great parts of the future that probably need to play now. We only have so many spots on LD (3 to be exact) and that's 4 LD's.

It's circumstantial. Dubois as a "center" is a supply/demand thingy. Caps need centers badly.

With Laine, what team is missing that critical goal scorer RW type? A team that is playoff bound but missing that goal scorer? Same team that can send a contract back (like Kuemper for example). Now I wonder what the Caps plans are in net? Bring back Samsonov?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo quiet on the Hab front.
no leaks or insider gossip on the habs. KH keeps a close tight lid on this topic

3 trades today. The market is heating up...

I'd take a shot on Laine as well for the right price and not knowing his current state but Matheson is waaaay to o high a price to pay on a gamble like that. Laine won't command such a premium at this point, particularly without BJ's eating a good amount of his cap. Barron and a pick, sure. Habs best and only proven offensive D, not a chance.
The Dubois trade bodes well for Laine's trade value. But they are still different situations given how much term PLD has left. That's much more of a risk than Laine's contract.

Reactions: Sterling Archer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad