HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Laine comes with a host of issues, including a big one: is his game at its peak the kind that helps you win in the playoffs?

This is a concern for me. I just think he and Dach might be a nice fit. Dach is very much pass first and doesn't shoot enough. And, he's all ofver the ice. Laine is shoot first and doesn't get around the ice as well. So maybe each makes up for each other's short comings. Add Roy on the wing who is good all around, and that's a line I would be interested in seeing.

I'd take a shot on Laine as well for the right price and not knowing his current state but Matheson is waaaay to o high a price to pay on a gamble like that. Laine won't command such a premium at this point, particularly without BJ's eating a good amount of his cap. Barron and a pick, sure. Habs best and only proven offensive D, not a chance.

Reactions: 26Mats and BLONG7

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
He is our only true physical Dman.....................it's a good trade, and yet I hate to lose that kid and his game.
I mean you aren't wrong but he will not be more than a bottom pairing guy or a guy who is a #4 if there are injuries. I get that he is popular but he isnt a guy who is untouchable

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
So much for Gary wont approve trades during the Finals...

Come on Kent, make some noise!!

I mean you aren't wrong but he will not be more than a bottom pairing guy or a guy who is a #4 if there are injuries. I get that he is popular but he isnt a guy who is untouchable
He keeps people honest..........team guy, fan favorite.
The return has to be good, just my 2 cents.

Reactions: SwiftyHab

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
you wrote this:
Panthers top 2 dmen are 6' under 200lbs

regardless, I'll be more accurate next time to clarify, I meant team toughness, grit and size, so as not to irritate you

Aren't both Forsling and Montour listed as 6' under 200 lbs. (195 lbs. and 199 lbs. respectively)?

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
So much for Gary wont approve trades during the Finals...

Come on Kent, make some noise!!

He keeps people honest..........team guy, fan favorite.
The return has to be good, just my 2 cents.
I agree the return would have to be good but if it were me I would be listening now before Struble, Hutson and etc over take him in the depth chart.

Preferably out west though...lol

Reactions: BLONG7

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Aren't both Forsling and Montour listed as 6' under 200 lbs. (195 lbs. and 199 lbs. respectively)?
:laugh: some sites have them listed at over 200. I'm sure based on how much they eat or shits they take, it fluctuates.
Regardless, my opinion remains that a team's size is important for long playoffs runs, and even if the stat is height and not weight, it seems to be an accurate indicator of success.
Habs have too many small forwards and don't need more. Would a super skilled smaller guy be useful? yes, but other guys would need to go.
I also wouldn't want more than one hutson-sized Dman on the team

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Cap dump with top end talent but not on the right trend and comes with risks.

Only thing that makes sense for me is Anderson and another piece (could be Jets 1st or Kapanen). If they don't like it, maybe we switch Anderson for Dvorak. Other than that, move on to other options.

:laugh: some sites have them listed at over 200. I'm sure based on how much they eat or shits they take, it fluctuates.
Regardless, my opinion remains that a team's size is important for long playoffs runs, and even if the stat is height and not weight, it seems to be an accurate indicator of success.
Habs have too many small forwards and don't need more. Would a super skilled smaller guy be useful? yes, but other guys would need to go.

100% agree and it was well explained. There are exceptions to the rule but the exception should not be the rule kind of thing.

Habs need to muscle with our core. It's early yet and we are still in transition but the pieces being added at this point, need to compliment what we have on the strategy balance scale.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What are the protections on Calgary's 2025 1st, again? Man they will suck.

Habs get the best pick from the Panthers or Flames if either pick is not top 10. If one pick is top 10, Habs get the other pick.

Panthers won't slip to bottom 10. They have cap issues to sort out but should still be a playoff team. Maybe they slip to top 10-12 ish. Flames have the 9th pick right now and looks like they are retooling. I'll be surprised if their pick is not top 10 again next year.

So if you were betting on this, bet for something around 15-25 range (Panthers pick). Outside chance the Flames finish 11-15 but probability tells me they are picking top 10 next year. Maybe even top 5.

We would need luck for the Flames to have a pick from 11-15 range.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010

Isn't the debate more about how important it is rather than if its important?

Like, its pretty clear that while "size" (strength and/or reach) is important, its not the most important thing. Frankly, Bergevin's push for "size" did more to set the team back than anything else.

No one wants a team of Caufield's and Hutson's, but being able to play at a relentless pace with just enough talent is more important than size.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Isn't the debate more about how important it is rather than if its important?

What's more important to determining the area of a rectangle, the length of the height?

Both, because they add as a product and not as a sum, like many things in life.

Similarly with size and talent. A small, talented team has the same odds of winning as a large, untalented team: 0% odds.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

You don't know if Xhekaj will be bottom pairing or top 4D after 95 NHL games. Just like we don't know if we hit with that 10th pick.

It like holding Xkekaj back from improving while automatically penciling in anybody in that top 13 as a sure shot hit. It don't work that way. The 10th pick has very good value but so does Xhekaj alone by himself. Someone with this size and mobility and his nasty style of play is just not available.

Xhekaj has tons of value. GM's are trying to circle around like vultures to try to acquire for cheap but I'm pretty sure Hughes will not bite on trading Xhekaj for cheap. He's got Romanov value and more IMO.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
What's more important to determining the area of a rectangle, the length of the height?

Both, because they add as a product and not as a sum, like many things in life.

Similarly with size and talent. A small, talented team has the same odds of winning as a large, untalented team: 0% odds.

Except that (depending on your definition of small) small, talented teams have won the cup and large untalented teams haven't.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That is a very... unwise... assumption.

Why do you think that? From what I see, we are moving from $83.5 to $88M and then to a min of $92M the following year. These are conservative forecasts bud because that $88M was $87.5M about a month or so ago. I bet you the $92M for 25/26 is also going to increase after next year plays out.

Then you add extra revenue from full rink in Utah vs College rink in Arizona. The cap will rise and don't be surprise at $100M in less than 4 years. Something like Covid (major development) would have to happen to derail it.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Laine comes with a host of issues, including a big one: is his game at its peak the kind that helps you win in the playoffs?

This is a concern for me. I just think he and Dach might be a nice fit. Dach is very much pass first and doesn't shoot enough. And, he's all ofver the ice. Laine is shoot first and doesn't get around the ice as well. So maybe each makes up for each other's short comings. Add Roy on the wing who is good all around, and that's a line I would be interested in seeing.
Did Cammalleri help us win in the playoffs back in '10? Laine's not going to be your Conn Smythe candidate but scoring out of nowhere is certainly something that can help you win playoff games. And it's worth noting he's had decent playoffs 12 points in 17 games as a sophomore and 4 points in 6 games the year after.

Reactions: 26Mats

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Except that (depending on your definition of small) small, talented teams have won the cup and large untalented teams haven't.

Small talented teams had some grit mixed in. There is no world where that small talented team was full of small players.

At the end of the day, you need talent. That is the constant. But the question is, what is the right mix and how many of those smaller/weaker types can you have.

Both talent and grit/size is required. You can have guys like Marchand and Kucherov but you better have a Chara or Hedman. Things change when your goalies and D is sound. However, you can't say that for the Leafs. Talent but bad depth, bad goaltending, bad D.

LOLLLLL. WOW.

Caps bought Cap Friendly. They can make any cap work now :laugh:.

$7M in cap space left with 17 guys signed. Who the hell is going the other way and/or how much are the Kings retaining?

Caps desperate for a center. Imagine... Dubois going to do all the dirty work for Ovi? :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: ZUKI and SwiftyHab

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Any recent examples?
Tampa when they won should probably be considered a small team overall, Kucherov, Point, Palat, Coleman, Johnson, Gourde are all on the small to tiny side. Though they were fairly big on the backend. From memory Chicago was also one of the smallest teams in the league when they were winning cups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad