HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
They also hired a GM who ruined the Flames
To be fair he also built the Flames. He would be seen in a better light if Adam Fox didn't f*** them. Though he still salvaged it getting Lindholm and Hanifin for he and Dougie Hamilton. The real issue there was nobody wants to stay in Calgary.

He did start drafting like shit after a couple years into his tenure too.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
As much as I laugh when they come up short every postseason, I would love to be in the position they're in. They're guaranteed to make the playoffs every season, they just need to make the trades/signings that'll take them through the playoffs.

Of course it's easier said than done but they're in a position where they can (need to) trade Marner or Nylander .. Imagine being in a position where you can trade one of the best players in the world in their position to get deeper?

They have nothing to trade, their prospects suck and they have hardly any valuable picks in the next 3 years.

1716386930159.png

Nylander has a NMC so he won't be going anywhere, Tavares/Marner are UFA after this season and also have NMCs so their return wouldn't be great.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They also hired a GM who ruined the Flames

If they move one or both of Tavares and Marner, I just don't see their team improving. There is a fair chance they miss the playoffs. Say what you want to say about their lack of performance in the playoffs but if you take 1 or two of them out and insert quantity assets in return, they might be in trouble.

It will be difficult to improve that D and goaltending in one off season. I think their frustration and wanting a change will hurt them.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
They have nothing to trade, their prospects suck and they have hardly any valuable picks in the next 3 years.

View attachment 874265

Nylander has a NMC so he won't be going anywhere, Tavares/Marner are UFA after this season and also have NMCs so their return wouldn't be great.

Cowan just won the OHL regular seasons and playoffs MVP award.

Their prospect pool is incredibly shallow, but they have stuff to trade.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

View attachment 874265

Agreed. Only way but down for them now. They really did a horrible job at inserting youth to support their strong core with ELC during their salary cap crunch. Tampa had Point/Sergachev.

Now, they don't have much to offer in trades. Marner and Tavares have NMC and are pending UFA's. Teams that are on Marner/Tavares approved list will knock on the door and offer them a cap anchor going the other way. Lets face it, those teams they waive for will be contenders with no cap space.

I wonder about 3 way deals and if the Habs can add another late 1st. Habs only have one retention spot left but we could help by retaining 50% and getting a 1st. A 1st we can use to add to the Jets 1st in attempts to trade up in this draft.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
When I got to listen to more of the B&G podcast they brought up Necas again.

Starting to feel they've heard a little something that the Habs might be interested. But then again, Basu said Carolina could be interested in Anderson and mentioned how they could see him in a different light and that Anderson might be better suited for Carolina as they're a more North - South type team. Did mention that the Canes interest likely peaks with what comes with him.

Also speculated that the Canes might be interest in the Habs d, as they could get NHL ready players for cheap.

They also stated Montreal wants to clear that log jam and said it could be NHLers, OR prospects..

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Someone asked about the Habs possibly being interested in Ehlers and neither Godin, or Basu think the Habs will be and hopefully they're right.

He's a good player, doesn't back down, but he's still easily pushed aside and has sucked major ass in the playoffs.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The Habs do have a weak prospect pool at forward, but they have a bright future at forward.

Suzuki is in the early part of his prime.

Dach, Caulfield, Slafkovsky, and Newhook are all recent draftees.

Roy is a good forward prospect.

And they have four 1st round picks between 2024 and 2025, so that probably means at least two forwards.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
To be fair he also built the Flames. He would be seen in a better light if Adam Fox didn't f*** them. Though he still salvaged it getting Lindholm and Hanifin for he and Dougie Hamilton. The real issue there was nobody wants to stay in Calgary.

He did start drafting like shit after a couple years into his tenure too.
He lost more traded than win. Took to cleaners on Bennett and Tkachuk trades. Monahan trade also.

I wouldn't qualify him as small, but even then, we have a bunch of 6'0 plus guys in the pool.

If Mesar makes the top6, just switch out Newhook for a bigger guy and problem solved.
He's 5'10 and weak as a wet rag

Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Someone asked about the Habs possibly being interested in Ehlers and neither Godin, or Basu think the Habs will be and hopefully they're right.

He's a good player, doesn't back down, but he's still easily pushed aside and has sucked major ass in the playoffs.

At the right cost, he'd be a very good addition for us heading into next season if we are serious about improving our top 6 & scoring output.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
At the right cost, he'd be a very good addition for us heading into next season if we are serious about improving our top 6 & scoring output.
He's got 1 year left, so they you gotta ante up to keep his ass and I don't see him at 7 mill a particularly good fit. Then, once/if the Habs make the playoffs again, he'll just disappear.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He lost more traded than win. Took to cleaners on Bennett and Tkachuk trades. Monahan trade also.

He's 5'10 and weak as a wet rag

He's also 20 years old. Wouldn't be the first guy to add weight as he matures. He's never going to be a physical force, but he can certainly get out the wet rag category.

The point still stand that if he is our best option for the 2nd line, just compensate on the LW or the third line.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013

View attachment 874265

If Marner waives his NMC and is traded, it'll likely be with a contract extension in place. He'll return quite a good package for the Leafs.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
If Marner waives his NMC and is traded, it'll likely be with a contract extension in place. He'll return quite a good package for the Leafs.
While it is Friedman, but anytime they mention Marner they bring up his agent and talks about how his agent likes to bring his clients to free agency and if Marner gets to free agency he's the best player to do so since Panarin, who got, what almost 12 mill a year ?

On the market, especially next year I could see Marner getting 12-13...

If you're trading for him, you're pretty much stuck paying what he wants.

This trade, which I assume is likely, will be interesting to see how it plays out

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
While it is Friedman, but anytime they mention Marner they bring up his agent and talks about how his agent likes to bring his clients to free agency and if Marner gets to free agency he's the best player to do so since Panarin, who got, what almost 12 mill a year ?

On the market, especially next year I could see Marner getting 12-13...

If you're trading for him, you're pretty much stuck paying what he wants.

This trade, which I assume is likely, will be interesting to see how it plays out

For frame of reference, his agent is Hughes' old partner, Darren Ferris. He's Josh Anderson and Nazem Kadri's agent.

BozoTheClown

Jul 10, 2021
I mean, Dallas currently has 3 guys under 6'0 in their top6. NYR has two. Florida and Edmonton have none.

What I do see though is a lot of skill.

I feel like a recording, but priority is skill, then we can worry about grit.

Get a player that works with Newhook/Dach so that line can score and then look to fix the grit in the lineup.

You already said Suzuki and Slaf have grit so 1st line is fine.

If the 2nd line lack a bit of grit, make the 3rd line grittier (while still having skill).

You'll never have 4 perfect lines, so you just need to balance the lineup accordingly.
Unless I am missing something, the only forward for Dallas under 6’ is Stankoven. Dallas has 4 players in their top 6 with height at 6’2” and over compared to 2 for the Habs.

We can take a look at someone like Connor Garland that has a mix of skills, grit and tenacity and also performs well in the regular season. Unfortunately due to his small size, his effectiveness diminishes considerably in the playoffs.

I have been saying for a few years now to give Riley Tufte a chance. We are not winning at a high level for at least another 2 years.

Also, there are some players with size and toughness we could get this offseason.
Guys like Maroon, Carrick, Carrier, O’Brien or Greer.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
He's got 1 year left, so they you gotta ante up to keep his ass and I don't see him at 7 mill a particularly good fit. Then, once/if the Habs make the playoffs again, he'll just disappear.
I know. I wouldn't consider it a move that requires us to re-sign him next summer to be worthwhile to make.

Wouldn't be my first option for top 6 upgrade, but we've got the depth of picks/prospects to make it reasonable to "buy" a 1-year player like that as part of the push to boost the young core.

If by Jan/Feb, we aren't firmly in the PO race, he'd be an easy asset to flip at ge deadline (if healthy, of course). If he fits in well and helps usake the playoffs, mission accomplished.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Unless I am missing something, the only forward for Dallas under 6’ is Stankoven. Dallas has 4 players in their top 6 with height at 6’2” and over compared to 2 for the Habs.

We can take a look at someone like Connor Garland that has a mix of skills, grit and tenacity and also performs well in the regular season. Unfortunately due to his small size, his effectiveness diminishes considerably in the playoffs.

I have been saying for a few years now to give Riley Tufte a chance. We are not winning at a high level for at least another 2 years.

Also, there are some players with size and toughness we could get this offseason.
Guys like Maroon, Carrick, Carrier, O’Brien or Greer.

Duchene, Pavelski, Dadonov, Stankoven and Steel are all under 6'0"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad