HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
This looks to be a great crop well into the top 15, and if that is correct, I would expect a higher price to pay, which of course can vary according to the trading counterpart and their negotiating acumen.
Well, I like the overall balance of this draft, but next years might be even better. We saw that at U18 where it was dominated by younger kids like McKenna,Hagens, Martone, Radivojevic etc.

Reactions: Runner77

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
A couple years ago some team traded from 27 up to the Sharks11th just by adding two 2nd round picks.

But given our depth of prospects, without a game breaker, I'd give up A LOT of assets to move up. 5th oa + Jets 1st + Flames 1st + ? For 2nd oa.
Yea that's too much for me. Id do The Flames pick and Van pick and one of the extra LD to get into early teens though.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Getting that Top 6 player everyone is hankering for won't be as easy or as obvious as it seems nor is the timing ideal.
My take-away from the post season press conference was we expect to be competitive with what we have on hand. (if healthy)
The statement that the "team showed us something" is very much in line with my previous thoughts for continuing the rebuild.
We will need some push back types who will have our star's backs. These role players will be very important in helping develop our young core.
The continuation of the "good vibes" or "culture" we keep hearing about is very much in our management's court.
It's imperative we find ways to support and evaluate what we do have before going after an end piece.
We just aren't there yet. If something falls our way sure we won't refuse but like you I just don't believe that is where our focus will or even should be.
This is very much what I took away from our leadership group.
Who we draft affects who we acquire too. If we draft Lindstrom opens more doors to smaller player. If it's Catton Habs probably looking for size in trade market.

This year is likely our last top 12 pick, unless wrecked with injuries. So, it's important to get right fit in our top 6. A second line of Dach and Lindstrom can fit a smaller guy in there.

If we don't acquire a top 6 forward this off season, I think we will, Newhook and Roy be on Dach line next year. Our 3rd line be some combo of Armia, Gallagher and Dvorak. All 3 be gone by '25-26. High probability anyway. With Newhook and Roy sliding back to third line in '25-26. I project Lindstrom making the jump to Dach line in '25-26. Plus a high end UFA.

Sorry, for long posts, I am bored. Waiting to go for my daily walk.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
All of those assets should allow us to move up 10-12 spots, which means if there is a player Hugo covets that might have dropped to ~15th then im happy to pull the trigger to get that player.. i think Eiserman might be available around there and feel he is definately worth the risk - hes either boom or bust (literally).

If someone like Eiserman slipped to that range, I'd be all over it. I think this kid will be a 30 goal threat in the NHL. He's young like Iggy and has solid weight early on

Getting both Iggy and Eiserman. Sign me up

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nope, I'd rather draft Iginla and piss them off!!

Some fans are worried about taking Iggy "too early" but if he is our target, just take him 5th. Don't get influenced by internet rankings. Bob M is mostly right. He said it's all over the place from 2-10+. I thought that before he said it and now I really believe it.

Trying to trade down to get a late 1st might create a situation were you miss on your target.

I rather take Iggy 5th and try to trade up with the Jets 1st, Mesar, Avs 2nd and one of Harris, Ylonen, Farrell. Looks like that might get us 12-15 range. Possible Eiserman is there. Or one of Helenius, Catton, Sennecke.

Both Iggy and Eiserman? YUP! They are two of my targets at 5th. Eiserman is a sleeper pick with me.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Would you trade #5 for #9 & #29 (currently) if CGY came knowcking and really wanted Iginla
I would not be opposed to trading down but if Calgary wants Iggy that bad they would have to give more imo.

Personally I want Lindstrom or Iginla at #5, so if Lindstrom is gone already they would really have to make it worth it to pass up on Iginla. This is all assuming The Habs are dead set on a forward.

Some fans are worried about taking Iggy "too early" but if he is our target, just take him 5th. Don't get influenced by internet rankings. Bob M is mostly right. He said it's all over the place from 2-10+. I thought that before he said it and now I really believe it.

Trying to trade down to get a late 1st might create a situation were you miss on your target.

I rather take Iggy 5th and try to trade up with the Jets 1st, Mesar, Avs 2nd and one of Harris, Ylonen, Farrell. Looks like that might get us 12-15 range. Possible Eiserman is there. Or one of Helenius, Catton, Sennecke.

Both Iggy and Eiserman? YUP! They are two of my targets at 5th. Eiserman is a sleeper pick with me.
5 is way too early for Eiserman. If they package picks to get into the low teens then sure...

Reactions: themilosh

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would not be opposed to trading down but if Calgary wants Iggy that bad they would have to give more imo.

Personally I want Lindstrom or Iginla at #5, so if Lindstrom is gone already they would really have to make it worth it to pass up on Iginla. This is all assuming The Habs are dead set on a forward.

5 is way too early for Eiserman. If they package picks to get into the low teens then sure...

Not me. I want to take the guy most teams will try to trade up to get. Iggy will be a target for a lot of teams in the 6-12 range.

Habs don't need more middle 6F assets. That's what the Flames will offer to move to our pick. Even if they offer me two middle 6F asset values, I still pass. I like to add late 1st rounders yes but not this way. Not by diluting our pick. It's just not worth it but maybe to our actual scouts, it is worth it. They think Iggy is similar to others like Catton, Eiserman, Sennecke, Helenius and by making this trade, they get at least one of them. I think that if we like Iggy a lot, take him 5th.

Sorry but there is no "too early" for anybody in that 2-15 range. All there is, is internet rankings and when we do a redraft 3-5 years later, you are going to see more movement than most other drafts.

Be prepared for some picks you will be surprised at. There is a very wide range of talent from 2-15 and it's very unpredictable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whalers Fan and 417

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Not me. I want to take the guy most teams will try to trade up to get. Iggy will be a target for a lot of teams in the 6-12 range.

Habs don't need more middle 6F assets. That's what the Flames will offer to move to our pick. Even if they offer me two middle 6F asset values, I still pass.

It's just not worth it but maybe to our actual scouts, it is worth it. They think Iggy is similar to others like Catton, Eiserman, Sennecke, Helenius and by making this trade, they get at least one of them. I think that if we like Iggy a lot, take him 5th.

Sorry but there is no "too early" for anybody in that 2-10 range. All there is, is internet rankings and when we do a redraft 3-5 years later, you are going to see more movement than most other drafts.
I agree about Iggy thats why I said they would have to pay more.

Bob McKenzie has Eiserman at 13th. I have not seen a list that has him anywhere near 5th. I get he might be good but there are at least 4 forwards I would take before him and of those 4, 2 are guaranteed to be there at #5

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
32 thoughts- Kaliyev is getting dealt.

I wish they wouldn't eat when they record, or Elliotte is just super annoying with the amount of noise he makes with his mouth.
It was one of the reasons his ex gave the judge. Another reason was his roll out of bed hairstyle.

Depends on the vet. Mine works long hours and comes home smelling like shit more often than not, but I wouldn’t trade her for the world.
You just recently screwed up royally and she is standing behind you as you pretend not to know she's there. Am I right?

• Haha
Reactions: Draft

CaptnNemo

Nov 4, 2016
If HuGo can get Lindstrom at five, he should couple some of our surplus talent with the Winnipeg pick to move up to where he can get Sennecke.

Close your eyes and imagine a top six with Dach, Slaf, Lindstrom and Sennecke.
I'd rather keep my eyes open to contemplate that dream 😁

• Haha
Reactions: Habs Icing

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
If HuGo can get Lindstrom at five, he should couple some of our surplus talent with the Winnipeg pick to move up to where he can get Sennecke.

Close your eyes and imagine a top six with Dach, Slaf, Lindstrom and Sennecke. I'm getting shivers just thinking about it.
I think they make the pick at 5 and use other picks and a LD to get actual players to play now.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yea that's too much for me. Id do The Flames pick and Van pick and one of the extra LD to get into early teens though.
I want the game breaker. If Hughes think Demidov or someone else is a game breaker and they are less sure about someone else, I'd put a lot of eggs in that one basket to try to get the gamebreaker.

Look what we've gotten so far with our late 1sts and 2nds: Mesar, Newhook, Beck, Hutson. Hutson looks a game breaker. But, I'd rather roll the dice on the 2nd overall pick, than on getting another Hutson level player in the late 1st round or 2nd round. Newhook is good. But we need a game breaker more than another Newhook or two, imo.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Crosby’s contract is 14% of cap at time of signature which is standard for elite talents Matthews, MacKinnon etc. McDavid is at the higher end @ 15%
When he signed that contract every pundit was lauding him for leaving millions on the table so the Pens could build a winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad