HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
stay away from Marchessault. the guys is good, but he one of the older UFA out there and god know if he'll be useful when the team is ready to compete.

The most logical option for this Summer is to trade for another potential top6 young player, draft a Demidov or Lindstrom, play Roy in the NHL. Sign Slaf to a Suzuki like contract. Weaponize the cap space by taking on a 1yr bad contract.

Next summer, you'll have a better sense of if Dach can center a line, can the new young player fit in the top 6, will Demidov/Lindstrom develop as hoped and be a top 6, can Roy play top 6 or or the 3rd line. Once you have that info, you go into the UFA season knowing if you need a C, or a W, or a D, need more size, skill, etc.
I agree the more data we have the better we can build this team. Definitely has advantages if we wait until next year to trade for that top 6 F.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
“Only” Slaf and Guhle. Yeah that’s possibly at least $15m of cap space needed.

We are not in a position to sign UFAs with as much deadwood as the Habs have. Gallagher, Anderson, Dvorak, Armia. No one wants these players.
??

This summer $9M ($6M deadcap + Pearson) before Price’s $10M LTIR

Savard, Armia, Evans & Dvorak come off the books next season ($13M) along w $4.2M dead cap - $8M to Slaf, $6M to Guhle leaves $4.2M free + cap ceiling increase upwards of $4M-$5M w Utah rocketing revenues

Matheson’s $4.8M off the books after 25-26 season

Anderson & Gallagher’s $12M off the books after 26-27 along w cap likely topping $100M

Habs cap is a non issues for next 3-4 seasons, plenty of space

Whether they should sign UFA or who they should sign is a different discussion topic but lacking cap space is not a restriction by any means for the foreseeable future

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
??

This summer $9M ($6M deadcap + Pearson) before Price’s $10M LTIR

Savard, Armia, Evans & Dvorak come off the books next season ($13M) along w $4.2M dead cap - $8M to Slaf, $6M to Guhle leaves $4.2M free + cap ceiling increase upwards of $4M-$5M w Utah rocketing revenues

Matheson’s $4.8M off the books after 25-26 season

Anderson & Gallagher’s $12M off the books after 26-27 along w cap likely topping $100M

Habs cap is a non issues for next 3-4 seasons, plenty of space

Whether they should sign UFA or who they should sign is a different discussion topic but lacking cap space is not a restriction by any means for the foreseeable future

$9M AAV for Slaf and $7M for Guhle?? That is risky for Guhle.

I'd prefer to bridge him to find out if he is a good #3, borderline #2, or true top-pair guy.

Also, I don't think Slaf goes that high right now.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
$9M AAV for Slaf and $7M for Guhle?? That is risky for Guhle.

I'd prefer to bridge him to find out if he is a good #3, borderline #2, or true top-pair guy.

Also, I don't think Slaf goes that high right now.
I think Slaf signs 7.5M x 8.. keeping in line with team culture.. id sign him to that this offseason

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Hard no to Marchessault. Just no. Stop bringing it up.

He is going to be 34 in December. He doesn't fit the team at all.

He fits the team a lot if we sign him short term. He's the spitfire top six guy that would be a good example for the kids and help us be more competitive this year. And we don't need to go nuts money wise.

Reactions: Benstheman

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Slaf signs 7.5M x 8.. keeping in line with team culture.. id sign him to that this offseason

I think that would be a fair offer for what we know today. Nobody knows where he tops out at and Habs would overpay him now to possibly save later. It could be risky if Slaf stays in the 50-60 pts range. Doubt it but we can't know for sure.

He fits the team a lot if we sign him short term. He's the spitfire top six guy that would be a good example for the kids and help us be more competitive this year. And we don't need to go nuts money wise.

He's probably not looking for short term. It will be a age 33+ contract. Probably looking for 4 or 5 years and he will get it from someone.

I agree the more data we have the better we can build this team. Definitely has advantages if we wait until next year to trade for that top 6 F.

Hughes might wait. I believe it's a optertunity/cost strategy in terms of the timing.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
What about a deal with Dallas with the base of Mavrik Bourque vs Justin Barron ?

Both have been drafted in the same year but Dallas have a bigger need for a RD. We could add some middle pick since they don't have any and they coud sent us Ty Dellandrea.

Something like:

To Dallas
Justin Barron
3rd round pick 2024 MTL

To Montreal
Mavrik Bourque
Ty Dellandrea

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Jets 1st. Where does it land?

* Finished 4th (29th in reverse)
* Didn't win a division.
* Won't reach the conference finals.

Right now, all 4 division winners are still in it. Rangers and Stars already have picks after the Jets and so will the Panthers and Canucks for winning their division. This bumps the Jets pick to at least 27th.

Is the Jets pick 24th best case? We are looking at a pick 24-27 range? At the very least, the Canucks and Panthers will have picks after the Jets for winning their division. If the Oilers, Avs, and Bruins reach the final 4, that pushes the Jets pick down 3 more spots to 24.

Next Question: What does this package do in terms of moving up in the draft from 24-27? Does it get you 15-18 range? Team trading with us gets two very good futures in Jets 1st and Mesar and also a NHL body now. Avs 2nd as a sweetener.

* Jets 1st
* Mesar
* Avs 2nd
* Harris or Ylonen or Farrell

Last edited:
Reactions: themilosh

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
What about a deal with Dallas with the base of Mavrik Bourque vs Justin Barron ?

Both have been drafted in the same year but Dallas have a bigger need for a RD. We could add some middle pick since they don't have any and they coud sent us Ty Dellandrea.

Something like:

To Dallas
Justin Barron
3rd round pick 2024 MTL

To Montreal
Mavrik Bourque
Ty Dellandrea

I’m not sure why Dallas would add here. Top scorer in the A in his 21 years old season is impressive. Tough league to be PPG (lower scoring then NHL).

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Jets 1st. Where does it land?

* Finished 4th (29th in reverse)
* Didn't win a division.
* Won't reach the conference finals.

Right now, all 4 division winners are still in it. Lets pretend they all loose in this round (pretend lol). Rangers, Panthers, Canucks, Stars.

Final 4 is Avs/Oilers and Bruins/Canes

Is the Jets pick 24th best case? We are looking at a pick 24-27 range? At the very least, the Canucks and Panthers will have picks after the Jets for winning their division. If the Oilers, Avs, or Bruins reach the final 4, that pushes the Jets pick down 3 more spots to 24.
Best case scenario is 26OA I believe - presently sit w 28OA going to 27OA after conclusion of NYR / CAR series

- IF one of NYR, DAL, CAR doesn't make the final-4, 27

- IF two of NYR, DAL, CAR doesn't make the final-4, 26

For 25OA all 3-would’ve had to miss final 4, which is not possible given NYR / CAR series.

So hope Avs win for 26OA

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC

Something like:

To Dallas
Justin Barron
3rd round pick 2024 MTL

To Montreal
Mavrik Bourque
Ty Dellandrea
Barron has no where close to Bourque's value. Dallas doesn't touch that offer.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Best case scenario is 26OA I believe - presently sit w 28OA going to 27OA after conclusion of NYR / CAR series

- IF one of NYR, DAL, CAR doesn't make the final-4, 27

- IF two of NYR, DAL, CAR doesn't make the final-4, 26

For 25OA all 3-would’ve had to miss final 4, which is not possible given NYR / CAR series.

So hope Avs win for 26OA

The way I read it is this...

Jets are at 29th but both the Canucks and Panthers will have higher picks for winning their division. That moves it to 27th. Rangers and Stars won divisions as well but they are already after the Jets in the standings.

Bruins, Oilers, Avs all finished below the Jets. If any of these 3 teams reach conference finals, they push the Jets pick more. So a possibly 1-3 more spots.

This is why I think 24-27 range. I think I comprehended this well but not 100% sure.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The way I read it is this...

Jets are at 29th but both the Canucks and Panthers will have higher picks for winning their division. That moves it to 27th. Rangers and Stars won divisions as well but they are already after the Jets in the standings.

Bruins, Oilers, Avs all finished below the Jets. If any of these 3 teams reach conference finals, they push the Jets pick more. So a possibly 1-3 more spots.

This is why I think 24-27 range. I think I comprehended this well but not 100% sure.
CAR finished ahead of Jets in standings…

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
CAR finished ahead of Jets in standings…

What's your point? Jets finished 4th (29th in reverse). Canes finished 3rd and are at 30 so it's a meaningless statement. You're going to have to explain if you think you know something I don't.

Canucks and Panthers won divisions but finished behind the Jets. Jets will get moved to at least 27th.

Then there is the Bruins, Avs, Oilers who all finished behind the Jets. However, Jets Pick moves 1 more for each of these teams reaching final 4.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Maybe he would out of pure vengeance. lol
If he really wanted to screw The Leafs he would refuse to waive and then leave next summer and they get nothing.

also sign cheaper in Boston, Florida or Tampa......

Hard no to Marchessault. Just no. Stop bringing it up.

He is going to be 34 in December. He doesn't fit the team at all.
I think he fits perfectly. Don't tell me they cant use a 30+ goal guy, who cares what his age is. The guy is a winner.

As long as its a reasonable deal of course. No longer than 4 years.

4x6ish and I would be all over him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Barron has no where close to Bourque's value. Dallas doesn't touch that offer.

I would not say the gap is enormous. Bourque has good AHL numbers as a forward. Slightly better than what Ylonen did in the AHL.

I think Barron has more value than most of our fan base realizes. 7 goals with 13 pts in 48 games and he's a big body that skates well with a great shot. A rare RD. A full season translates to 12 goals and 22 pts. Maturity is his only problem and his goal scoring ability as a D man is well above average. I would not take this lightly.

Edge to Bourque IMO. Maybe Bourque gets a 8/10 rating and Barron is at 7/10. Gap could increase if Bourque comes into the NHL and shines right away but that is undetermined.

If Bourque is waivers exempt next season, he has added value over Barron.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Why you hate him?? Apart from the fact that he is a POS?
Just for being a POS. Perfect example being his lashing out at people on Twitter/Instagram when they chirped him. I totally acknowledge that as a player and with his type of experience, he'd be a great pickup though.

Reactions: Benstheman

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
What's your point? Jets finished 4th (29th in reverse). Canes finished 3rd and are at 30 so it's a meaningless statement. You're going to have to explain if you think you know something I don't.

Canucks and Panthers won divisions but finished behind the Jets. Jets will get moved to at least 27th.

Then there is the Bruins, Avs, Oilers who all finished behind the Jets. However, Jets Pick moves 1 more for each of these teams reaching final 4.

Jets made the playoffs but did not win either their division, or play in the Conference Finals (picks 17–24 up to max 28). I believe Jets started playoffs w pick 27 & CAR pick 28 since Canes were in same situation but finished w 1-more pts in standings

Teams that win their divisions but do not make it to final-4 get one of picks 25–28

If CAR advances to final-4 they will have one of picks 29-32 & NYR then get 28 and Jets pick stays at 27OA. If DAL also loses then Jets pick moves down to pick 26OA

IF CAR & DAL both lose, Canes get 28, Dal 27, Jets 26

IF CAR loses but DAL wins, Jets pick is 27OA

All 3 of NYR, CAR, DAL would’ve had to lose for pick 25

I stand corrected, IF final-4 is Edm vs Avs and Bruins vs Canes then yes Jets pick would be 24OA - since division winners would have picks 25-28

Last edited:

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
I don't know how you came to this conclusion. Barron has played 100 games in the NHL while Bourque played 1
Because Barron's game seems to have stagnated whereas Bourque's arrows continue to point up. Way up.

I also don't know that much can be taken from Barron playing 100 games and Bourque 1. Dallas has slowly cooked a great prospect whereas we might have rushed Barron because he was a big piece in a trade.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
he wont sign short term, that is the problem. As such, the idea of getting him is pointless

Something like:

To Dallas
Justin Barron
3rd round pick 2024 MTL

To Montreal
Mavrik Bourque
Ty Dellandrea

I like the idea, but I dont think the value is there for Dallas

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Because Barron's game seems to have stagnated whereas Bourque's arrows continue to point up. Way up.

I also don't know that much can be taken from Barron playing 100 games and Bourque 1. Dallas has slowly cooked a great prospect whereas we might have rushed Barron because he was a big piece in a trade.
But Bourque didn't even played in the NHL. At least Barron produced offensively in the big league. I mean, there is point to make in favor of Bpourque but to say it's not even close, i disagree totally.

Same age, same draft, almost picked at the same spot.

Barron : big mobile RHD that can produce offensively (in the NHL) but have big defensive warts.

Bourque : Small center that produce in the AHL...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad