HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You got a point about his NMC, but at the same time, would CAL take a guy that already asked twice to be traded out of a small market? Oddly enough, I think that the only place it would make sense for him to be traded is MTL, but at that cap hit/yrs left and level of play, this is a non-starter for MTL.

I still have to romantic notion that PLD could be this top6 bog body offensive machine, but realistically, this has a low level of happening. He's no longer a project, he' a guy looking for a redemption arc, and I just dont know if he's serious and committed to achieve that.

Not saying the Flames will be desperate to do this but they are also not happy with Huberdeau. Just don't seem like many options are available.

I would love to be a fly on the wall listing to Gorton/Hughes/MSL talk about Dubois and what he can potentially do in the next 7 years.

Reactions: Kosseca

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
If anyone wants to bring back Monahan after his playoff performance, they are on crack. Love the guy but there is zero reason to bring him back.
You still have to get to the playoffs and he would be additional big forward for the price and term.
Unless HuGo acquires another scoring line forward or 2 and there is no place for him. He is willing to be a net front presence.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lol at Monahan bringing "grit", guy is soft as baby shit and his below average skating is not suited for a team wanting to go far in the playoffs. He's got 4 5v5 points in 35 playoff games. That's the part you are missing bud.

Let's not forget you saying that Monahan brings more physicality than Marchessault, it's clearly showing in the playoffs.

Sorry, I am a Monahan fan and I believe you are devaluing him because he was used as a 2C against a stacked Avs team who is very hungry after an early exit last year.

Monahan can help the Habs IMO. Don't hate Marchessault but Monahan brings value in so many areas we need... that's beyond grit. Marchessault is older and will cost more IMO. He's after a 4 or 5 year deal from age 33-37. I pass on that. I even pass on age 33-36.

3 years of Monahan would be cheaper than Marchessault in AAV and it's age 30-32. We already know Monahan fits the Habs.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
You still have to get to the playoffs and he would be additional big forward for the price and term.
Unless HuGo acquires another scoring line forward or 2 and there is no place for him. He is willing to be a net front presence.
What good is a big forward who is soft and lacks grit? Also you are paying for players with the intention of them helping you in the playoffs, not just the regular season.
Sorry, I am a Monahan fan and I believe you are devaluing him because he was used as a 2C against a stacked Avs team who is very hungry after an early exit last year.
I noticed you are a Monahan fan when you said he's grittier and more physical than Marchessault which is just blatantly wrong. Playing against the Avs shouldn't mean he should have poor skating and play very soft. I'm not even talking about production or blaming him for the Jets losing, but he's also got 4 5v5 points in 35 games which is horrendous.
Monahan can help the Habs IMO.
Help the Habs in the regular season sure, but not in the playoffs. Tatar also helped the Habs in the regular season and then got exposed in the playoffs.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Noah Ostlund
Oof, probably better off sweeping that one under the rug then.
If anyone wants to bring back Monahan after his playoff performance, they are on crack. Love the guy but there is zero reason to bring him back.
I mean, as a third liner on a cheap-ish contract I'd be fine with it, he's a good vet for the kids and if he's surrounded with speed he's gonna do great. If it's anyhting over 4 for more than 2 he can f*** off.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Turcotte has still been unlucky with injuries, but I think he's one that I might go for - without great expectations - with a modest offer, because I noticed that he's a guy who always makes an effort. A player who makes an effort can always become a useful player in your training.

However, at the moment we are talking about a supporting player, not a complementary player, but really a supporting player. » - Simon Boisvert

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I mean, as a third liner on a cheap-ish contract I'd be fine with it, he's a good vet for the kids and if he's surrounded with speed he's gonna do great. If it's anyhting over 4 for more than 2 he can f*** off.
He's goingto free agency, he's going to want term and money, not to mention a role more important than the one we could offer.

Reactions: Leto

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's not feels, it's finding good mentors for the Habs younger players. Seems to me like Monahan in particular was doing very well in that role during his stint here, but maybe you disagree.
But he was here for 2 years and served his role as a mentor with great effect. Why would the Habs sign him to the type contract it will require to sign him too to serve a role he's already had?

Christian Dvorak can play the mentor on the last year of his deal.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
But he was here for 2 years and served his role as a mentor with great effect. Why would the Habs sign him to the type contract it will require to sign him too to serve a role he's already had?

Christian Dvorak can play the mentor on the last year of his deal.
I guess we'll see if you're right about prioritizing term and money with his next contract.

According to the internet, his career earnings are 50M already ...

Reactions: Runner77

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I guess we'll see if you're right about prioritizing term and money with his next contract.

According to the internet, his career earnings are 50M already ...
He's just coming off signing a "prove it" type of deal for 1yr 2M, mainly because teams didn't trust his durability.

He played a full NHL season + 1 game (total of 83) and had 59 points.

Among available UFAs, he finished with the 7th most points, and only 2 players that are ahead of him are listed as Cs (Stamkos and Duchene).

It's likely to be his last big contract in the NHL, he's not going to sign another cheap 1 year deal.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Oof, probably better off sweeping that one under the rug then.

I doubt HuGo would want anything to do with Monahan for more then 2 years. He was healthy this year but there’s too many question marks with his health to comit to him with any term even if he was healthy this season. It’s a shame because he would make a good stopgap on a short deal.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Unless his camp is a colossal failure or HuGo are buying time to move Dman in a deal, there’s zero chance Hutson doesn’t start in NHL
Who is he playing with and who are the other two pairs?

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Matheson - Struble
Guhle - Mailloux
Hutson - Savard

I fully expect Harris & Barron to be traded…

I don't think they tried struble on the right very much, if at all, despite the need, so I wouldn't expect him to be playing on that side next year in a more important capacity.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I don't think they tried struble on the right very much, if at all, despite the need, so I wouldn't expect him to be playing on that side next year in a more important capacity.
I think Struble of all the young Dman will take the biggest growth step forward next year:

- Familiarity: Hughes & MSL have known & Hughes has coached him for a long time

- Hunger: Biracial kid from homogeneous Maine, who’s developed a chip on his (broad) shoulders from the viciousness that is homogenous New England hockey

- High end skating - pace + edgework

- Truculence: Struble played overly conservative last year, I expect the monster will be unleashed starting this season, IMO as he gets more comfortable in the NHL

Last edited:
Reactions: Sorinth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad