HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
If they’re looking to add size/skill one guy you’d have to certainly look at would be Tanner Jeannot (in my opinion). He’d be a buy low option of course, but with the Bolts in a struggle cap wise and zero draft picks, perhaps the Habs could pry him loose for RHP and the Wild third round pick. He’s only making 2.7 million and we all know what he can bring in the physical department, while potentially being able to regain his scoring touch. I’d be more than willing to take a flyer on him.

Dakota Joshua could be another solid option up front. He’s a UFA and 27, and would bring some much needed size, scoring and jam up front. Will be looking for a payday though and is potentially a buyer beware choice.

Pavel Dorofeyev is a player that I think is going to explode offensively and I would love to see Hughes acquire him from Vegas. He has an elite shot and handles the puck extremely well. He’s only played 67 games in parts of last season and this one, but has 20 goals. I think there’s a lot more there, and if you put him with a healthy Kirby Dach? I wouldn’t be surprised if you had one of the best young duos in hockey. He’s that good.

Those are guys I could see Hughes targeting.
I’d be all over Nick Paul. Wished we had traded for him when he was with Ottawa. Big body, skilled and not afraid to use his size.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Come on now, I get you’re a fan of Zegras but that’s more of a problem than a plus. He’s not playing physical, he’s taking lazy stick penalties.

1 - 2023/2024: 12 PIMS, 24 games, 16 hits

2 - 2022/2023: 88 PIMS, 81 games, 46 hits (20 mins in PIMS from two 10 min misconducts)

3 - 2021/2022: 50 PIMS, 75 games, 56 hits (one 10 min misconduct)

He’s like the antithesis of physical. To put it in perspective, he and Cole Caufield have the same number of hits in their respective career high seasons of 56.

I'm not a "fan" of Zegras. I'm a fan of the Montreal Canadiens and want them to have talented players who can score goals and generate goals.

I have listened to many pundits about Zegras and most vouch for his ability. He should have good chemistry with Caufield and appreciate the MSL approach to coaching.

Now if we can draft a top forward with the high pick, and this forward is credibly projected to be better than Zegras, I'm not opposed to using the draft pick ourselves. But I'd want this highly touted sniper to be NHL ready within one year at most.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Come on now, I get you’re a fan of Zegras but that’s more of a problem than a plus. He’s not playing physical, he’s taking lazy stick penalties.

1 - 2023/2024: 12 PIMS, 24 games, 16 hits

2 - 2022/2023: 88 PIMS, 81 games, 46 hits (20 mins in PIMS from two 10 min misconducts)

3 - 2021/2022: 50 PIMS, 75 games, 56 hits (one 10 min misconduct)

He’s like the antithesis of physical. To put it in perspective, he and Cole Caufield have the same number of hits in their respective career high seasons of 56.
I would only add MSL coached Zegras at MidFairfield and would know the ins & outs of the player and how the player will or will not fit his “concept”….

AS I said in my original post....that's the problem with Zegras' contract. Every teams right now are doing their best to not pay their top players that amount so they signed them right out of ELC on long terms deal. That's the best way to go these days.

I look at Jack Hugues contract at 8.5M.....Will you get Zegras more money than Hughes for 4 full seasons and think it's a good deal to build a winning organization?
Again, Habs have benefit of offering heavy bonus structured contracts to US resident players which benefits from taxation / take home perspective relative to US based teams.

In such a scenario Zegras wouldn’t have to be paid more than Hughes…

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I'm not a "fan" of Zegras. I'm a fan of the Montreal Canadiens and want them to have talented players who can score goals and generate goals.

I have listened to many pundits about Zegras and most vouch for his ability. He should have good chemistry with Caufield and appreciate the MSL approach to coaching.

Now if we can draft a top forward with the high pick, and this forward is credibly projected to be better than Zegras, I'm not opposed to using the draft pick ourselves. But I'd want this highly touted sniper to be NHL ready within one year at most.
If you’re not a fan, why ostensibly sell him on multiple fronts?

Actually, upon reflection, I think I get where you’re coming from after that last post. We do need high end talent, absolutely agree with you on that one. But (in my opinion) we also need some top 6 talent with size and snarl. Look what the emergence of Slafkovsky has done for the Suzuki line. He gives them an entire different dimension.

I think this is where we may deviate, I’m not saying you’re wrong and I’m right, I feel it’s necessary to add some high end skill with some size, and I’d prefer to get it via the draft or by packaging some of our young defenders/picks for an impact forward.

Vis a vis Zegras, I’m just pointing out he’s not a physical guy, and he doesn’t play with any kind of an edge.

Good discussion and points 👍

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If you’re not a fan, why ostensibly sell him on multiple fronts?

Actually, upon reflection, I think I get where you’re coming from after that last post. We do need high end talent, absolutely agree with you on that one. But (in my opinion) we also need some top 6 talent with size and snarl. Look what the emergence of Slafkovsky has done for the Suzuki line. He gives them an entire different dimension.

I think this is where we may deviate, I’m not saying you’re wrong and I’m right, I feel it’s necessary to add some high end skill with some size, and I’d prefer to get it via the draft or by packaging some of our young defenders/picks for an impact forward.

Vis a vis Zegras, I’m just pointing out he’s not a physical guy, and he doesn’t play with any kind of an edge.

Good discussion and points 👍

We have two very large talented players, one on eacvh of the top two lines,
plus Suzuki at 210 lbs and hopefully Monahan and Armia or better for the "third" line.

Caufield is small. Zegras is close to average. Same with Newhook.

Reactions: Rozz

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
On the other end of the spectrum, we’d need another best season from him in order to move him. Can lightning strike twice?

What was notable on top of his lacklustre play, was his failure to engage physically which he used to at least do in the past even when not producing.
Obviously it can. Palmieri is a career 24 ish G 45ish P player but this year with Roy he replicated out of nowhere at 33 years old (after two lackluster seasons) his best season with 30G and 54P. For players over 30 it's always super hard to predict unless they are elite players. Elite players tend to slow down later in their 30ies and the decline curve is usually more predictable for them.

I’d be all over Nick Paul. Wished we had traded for him when he was with Ottawa. Big body, skilled and not afraid to use his size.
I would not. Why do people want us to acquire players close to 30? We already have vets precense in the lineup we don't need more. Like all midling players at the dawn of the 30ies Paul will start to decline soon.

What we need to do is go after players around the age of 24 to 26.

Last edited:
Reactions: bsl

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I would not. Why do people want us to acquire players close to 30? We already have vets precense in the lineup we don't need more. Like all midling players Paul will start to decline soon.

I’d make an exception for Monahan. Not at any price but make a reasonable attempt.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I’d make an exception for Monahan. Not at any price but make a reasonable attempt.

I agree with the exception, because Monahan is not a "middling player". He is a former 6OA who made the NHL at 18, and who has been the fourth best player of his draft year.

Reactions: Rozz

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
I thought the same about Necas. I saw 3 prime candidates to be an effective top 6 in a contender team if they reach their A game : Zegras, Johnson and Necas.

Zegras : The best pure talent of the bunch but I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole and the price will be very heavy. Drouin look like a man in Tampa versus how childish Zegras look in Anaheim. Cronin try to make a man, a professional and he response in the worst way he can.

Jonhson : A Pat Kane vibe, awesome hands with good hockey sense but for now he can't seem to find his game and translate that in offensive numbers. With the new direction in Columbus I think it will be very hard to obtain him in a trade, if the price is not too much, because they will give him another chance; with the old direction we would have more chance to have him! Price will still be heavy, not like Zegras or Necas, but I think it's the best risk in term of value because if he blossomed it will be a homerun versus the cost!

Necas : The worst in term of pure talent, he don't have a 1st liner potential like the other two, but he still a hell of a hockey player. A top 6 player already establish who can play on a very structural team with Carolina, all good signs to me with what we are looking to do in the future and the lowest risk you can take versus the others two in what he can bring.

I saw 2 reasons where they can trade Necas.

1 : The headcase Kotkianiemi : If they plan to go in full win mode in the future, with Guentzel it's seem the case, they will need to find a way to move KK and for that they will need assets! If they bait someone who outpaid for Necas with some great picks and great prospects, they will take it. Trade KK with some of this assets and find a way to reinvest the money somewhere else, Caroline are good to find solution!

2 : Building a contender team : Carolina are one of the best team when it come to playing a structural game but they are not built for playoff but to win regular season games. If they keep everyone they have, they will still have the same issues in the future; something they already know. With the add of Guentzel, another cerebral player, I think this can open the door to make Necas available and they will target another kind of player for their top 6!
I definitely agree about Zegras seems like a bit of a diva!

Reactions: themilosh

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Maybe because he played here and we know what we'll get. But if you sign Monahan you'll lock jam the top 9 and will need an injury too give experience to a kid like Roy.
Roy is/will be a decent player, but like Beck, i see him as a third liner.

Once we have our top 6 solidified, a 3rd line of Newhook-Beck-Roy will be incredible. Solid 2 way players with speed and skill, and a trustworthy 200' game.
4th line should be Xhekaj-Xhekaj-Tuch -- pure truculance.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Maybe because he played here and we know what we'll get. But if you sign Monahan you'll lock jam the top 9 and will need an injury too give experience to a kid like Roy.
No, Roy is our 7th F now, just needs to move ahead of Armia if we get 3 more good players i.e. Monahan PLUS two more.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I think you missed the words closest and we've had.

That's why they could play on the same pair.

Imo, Matheson has to take his defensive game to another level if he's going to be top 4 on a contender. Time will tell if he can...
I agree. But i dout he is at a stage of his carrer where he can suddenly figure it out. My point is if he play on a second pair and not playing every other teams best lines, he might do a decent job defensively. But it's also where i think Hutson should play. I mean we can play Hutson on the third pair for the next two years but long term, there is no place for Matheson imo and we should cash in on his actual value.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Once we have our top 6 solidified, a 3rd line of Newhook-Beck-Roy will be incredible. Solid 2 way players with speed and skill, and a trustworthy 200' game.
Ideally you don't want to have Beck and Roy playing their first full season the same year. So ideally you want Roy in the NHL next season on a 3rd line so if Beck is ready after 1 year in the AHL he wont make his debut at the same time as Roy plays his first full season.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014

:popcorn::popcorn:

Ideally you don't want to have Beck and Roy playing their first full season the same year. So ideally you want Roy in the NHL next season on a 3rd line so if Beck is ready after 1 year in the AHL he wont make his debut at the same time as Roy plays his first full season.
There is no spot for Beck next season anyways. Unless we trade Dvorak. I'm pretty sure Roy will be with the Habs next season and Beck with the Rocket.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I would not. Why do people want us to acquire players close to 30? We already have vets precense in the lineup we don't need more. Like all midling players at the dawn of the 30ies Paul will start to decline soon.

Not just any player close to 30, I’ve been championing Stamkos - a veteran capable of producing (35G+) in top-6 role, proven playoff performer & Cup champ.

Habs need offense to complement Suzuki line + time has come for young D + Slaf + Dach to play meaningful games w NHL playoff intensity, and feel the burden to perform in those games as part of the development growth.

Suzuki, Caufield & Newhook have lived through it, the other young players have only known meaningless rebuild NHL

Without such forced growth, you end up w Sens, Buf…

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Obviously it can. Palmieri is a career 24 ish G 45ish P player but this year with Roy he replicated out of nowhere at 33 years old (after two lackluster seasons) his best season with 30G and 54P. For players over 30 it's always super hard to predict unless they are elite players. Elite players tend to slow down later in their 30ies and the decline curve is usually more predictable for them.

You make it sound like he’s a geriatric case. He’s 29. The team needs some vets mixed in. You can’t have a team of 23 year old and that’s it. Some players don’t come into their own until they’re in their mid to late 20’s as well, particularly when it comes to their defensive game.

With a guy like Paul, he still motors, hits and scores. He grinds and has skill as well as experience and understanding of the game. I’d have no problem trading for a guy like that who still has some good years ahead of him.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I think you missed the words closest and we've had.

That's why they could play on the same pair.

Imo, Matheson has to take his defensive game to another level if he's going to be top 4 on a contender. Time will tell if he can...

I'm not sure if he needs to take his defensive game to another level as much as he needs to be in a spot that he can be effective in.

There are two players in the NHL who played more than him and at most 5 D-men who played tougher minutes than him. There are worse D than him who have won cups playing in the top 4, he's being asked to play a role on a rebuilding team that he wouldn't on a contender.

Reactions: Kosseca

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don’t see a logjam, since you can use Monahan at any forward position. Plus, there are always injuries and we’re short of quality forwards as it is.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
How is this clear?
The Zegras thing got started after the Gauthier trade by people that supposed there maybe wouldn’t have a spot for Zegras with the Ducks anymore, mostly by Montreal fans/medias. It’s supposition.

And i don’t see Hughes/Gorton giving huge assets for him anyway when Hughes said couple of days ago that they need to get bigger.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The Zegras thing got started after the Gauthier trade by people that supposed there maybe wouldn’t have a spot for Zegras with the Ducks anymore, Montreal fans/medias. It’s supposition.

And i don’t see Hughes/Gorton giving huge assets for him when Hughes said they need to get bigger.
Pretty sure there was talk about it way before the Gauthier trade. It’s been out there awhile as Zehra isn’t liked by the GM and isn’t a Verbeek type player. Gaithersburg trade just turned it into overdrive.

I think it’s pretty clear Zegras isn’t starting the year as a Duck. Whether or not he’s a Canadien is the question.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Not just any player close to 30, I’ve been championing Stamkos - a veteran capable of producing (35G+) in top-6 role, proven playoff performer & Cup champ.

Habs need offense to complement Suzuki line + time has come for young D + Slaf + Dach to play meaningful games w NHL playoff intensity, and feel the burden to perform in those games as part of the development growth.

Suzuki, Caufield & Newhook have lived through it, the other young players have only known meaningless rebuild NHL

Without such forced growth, you end up w Sens, Buf…

Yep and like it or not, if we want to contend at some point, we will need good veterans at key spots. We won't win anything with a top three lines consisting of 9 under 25 players and the same thing applies on defense.

And when i say veteran, it doesn't need to be 35-36 years of course.

But young players like Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Newhook, Slaf, Guhle, Hutson etc. need to learn what it takes to win at this level. A guy like Marchessault or Stamkos or Crosby, on short term stint (2-3 years) would do wonders for these kids imo. I would even dare to say it's a necessary step in learning to become contenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad