Proposal: Trade Juuse Saros

Trade Saros?

• Total voters

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Given that McGroarty's issue was that the Jets wouldn't promise him a path to playing time I can't see how we would be any better of a spot for him.
That's how you end up on a rebuilding team because those are just about the only teams willing to promise NHL time to a young prospect. I do think with our current NHL LW players he would have a good shot though... just gotta beat out one of Forsberg, Jankowski, C. Smith, Tomasino?... assuming Nyquist is on the 1st line for Forsberg.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Leafs reportedly locking Woll up for 3 more years seems to suggest they are out of the Saros sweepstakes (if they were ever really in it). That also suggest Marner isn't particularly likely since we don't really have any other big pieces.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Given that McGroarty's issue was that the Jets wouldn't promise him a path to playing time I can't see how we would be any better of a spot for him.
It seems weird to me that a college player would really feel in a position to ask for promises in terms of playing time? I mean, unless you're a really top prospect, like Celebrini and Smith and guys who are picked right at the top of the draft and so on. It seems more likely to me that a guy like McGroarty's ask would be more along the lines of "well, if I'm going to leave college after just 2 years, why should I do it just to play in the AHL", which isn't at all an uncommon position for NCAA players to take?

The Jets have his rights until August 2026, there doesn't seem to be any big rush here. If they want to try to sign McGroarty after his junior NCAA season ends next year, the typical route is yeah, sign him, he plays a game or two at the end of the season, burns an ELC year, and then is on the normal path to earning a spot that everybody is on after that. So I'm not really sure why it has suddenly become any big deal that a college prospect doesn't want to sign in the off-season after his sophomore year? :dunno:

Reactions: Armourboy

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Leafs reportedly locking Woll up for 3 more years seems to suggest they are out of the Saros sweepstakes (if they were ever really in it). That also suggest Marner isn't particularly likely since we don't really have any other big pieces.
I’m glad. The more I thought about a marner trade the more I disliked it. Giving a player 12 million a year would be a mistake. Especially when you can get 2 good players for that. For example say you give marchessaultt 6 and monahan 4.5 and tarasenko 5. Now you have a brand new line that only makes 3.5 million more. Before anything said I’m just using it as an example not saying we sign those players. Let’s moneyball it lol

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It seems weird to me that a college player would really feel in a position to ask for promises in terms of playing time? I mean, unless you're a really top prospect, like Celebrini and Smith and guys who are picked right at the top of the draft and so on. It seems more likely to me that a guy like McGroarty's ask would be more along the lines of "well, if I'm going to leave college after just 2 years, why should I do it just to play in the AHL", which isn't at all an uncommon position for NCAA players to take?

The Jets have his rights until August 2026, there doesn't seem to be any big rush here. If they want to try to sign McGroarty after his junior NCAA season ends next year, the typical route is yeah, sign him, he plays a game or two at the end of the season, burns an ELC year, and then is on the normal path to earning a spot that everybody is on after that. So I'm not really sure why it has suddenly become any big deal that a college prospect doesn't want to sign in the off-season after his sophomore year? :dunno:
My understanding is McGroarty is it is the AHL issue more than anything. He wants to go straight to the NHL and the Jets like us have a general philosophy of everyone plays in the AHL no matter what. In general, I think the ability of players to make as much if not more money playing college hockey than in the AHL is going to be really interesting.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
My understanding is McGroarty is it is the AHL issue more than anything. He wants to go straight to the NHL and the Jets like us have a general philosophy of everyone plays in the AHL no matter what. In general, I think the ability of players to make as much if not more money playing college hockey than in the AHL is going to be really interesting.
Maybe I need to read the sources more, because it sounds to me like something taken a little out of context. I don't think any team in the NHL is going to automatically grant a prospect at McGroarty's level an NHL spot as a guarantee, not even rebuilding teams, and I don't see why he or his agent would expect that either. It seems more like a writer misunderstanding the context? :dunno:

Reactions: Scoresberg

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

Vessey did just that.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
McGroarty still has 2 more seasons in the NCAA. If i were him and a team wanted me to leave the college route, id want guarantees of playing in the NHL. Otherwise, id happily stay the college route and get an education to fall back on. Honestly doesnt seem unreasonable.

He will be 22 when he graduates which seems like a good age/year to jump to the NHL. So i wouldnt have any quarrels with granting him NHL then. It is the around the age many players transition anyways and he looks to be an extremely good player who could probably transition earlier.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Maybe I need to read the sources more, because it sounds to me like something taken a little out of context. I don't think any team in the NHL is going to automatically grant a prospect at McGroarty's level an NHL spot as a guarantee, not even rebuilding teams, and I don't see why he or his agent would expect that either. It seems more like a writer misunderstanding the context? :dunno:
I just think people are trying to make more of it than it is. My guess is the statement was he wasn't going to leave college just to go to the AHL, so if they want him to sign and leave college early then it's for the NHL, not the minors.

Like I said in the other thread, NHL GM's are going to need to adjust, kids have options today and they don't mind using them.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
  • Haha
Reactions: Kat Predator

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
The news on Saros isn't surprising given the returns for Markstrom and Ullmark. We just can't get the value we need in order to justify losing Saros. I think Askarov is the more likely trade piece, but getting parties to align their assessments of the value of a high-end goalie prospect isn't easy.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Reactions: PredsV82

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
If this isn't a smoke screen, good bye Lankinen. He was really solid here, will miss him, but we aren't bringing all three back.
We will probably need to bring in another goalie but yeah I suspect Lankinen will want to go somewhere where he is at least solidly the backup and likely more of a tandem.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
We will probably need to bring in another goalie but yeah I suspect Lankinen will want to go somewhere where he is at least solidly the backup and likely more of a tandem.
We will definitely need to bring in another goalie either way... right now we really only have #1 Saros and #2 or #3 Askarov. Grosenick might come back as #4, Haider is probably #5 in Atlanta. We either need a #2 in Nashville if Askarov gets sent back, or we need a strong #3 to be the starter in Milwaukee and on call in case Askarov falters. Either way, we need another goalie.

There aren't very many backup/tandem gigs open around the league, however, so Lankinen may not have much luck finding a job elsewhere.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Oh I am, I full expect him to give him 8 x 8 and trade Askarov for peanuts 3 years down the road when he demands the starting job and a bigger contract.
If Askarov is ever in a position to demand a starting job… that’ll be a nice day for us… and he won’t get traded for peanuts. :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad