Proposal: Trade Juuse Saros

Trade Saros?

• Total voters

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Oh I absolutely think he will ask for that, if he doesn't he needs to fire his agent. Now where I agree with you is I don't think Trotz will give him that, so then its a question of just how much Saros wants the money vs being here. If the money is what matter then Saros won't be a Pred I don't think.
I mean, I think they already will have covered off that ground long ago. Saros already knows the parameters of the Preds' offer, and the Preds will have already moved past any initial 8x8 types of starting requests. If they knew that the money mattered most instead, Saros would have already been traded, Trotz wouldn't have come out with his statements about how comfortable he is that things will get sorted out.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I mean, I think they already will have covered off that ground long ago. Saros already knows the parameters of the Preds' offer, and the Preds will have already moved past any initial 8x8 types of starting requests. If they knew that the money mattered most instead, Saros would have already been traded, Trotz wouldn't have come out with his statements about how comfortable he is that things will get sorted out.
You do realize GM's often speak out of both sides of their mouths.

Reactions: BigFatCat999

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
You do realize GM's often speak out of both sides of their mouths.
We've also seen in years past where we figured they had probably been working on an early deal already only to find out they hadn't even talked to one another. Until we hear one way or the other I try not to assume anything.

Reactions: Gh24

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Another trade proposal for saros
Saros, tomasino and the 22nd pick
For
Korpisalo, chychurn, and 7th pick

This pretty much guarantees that you’ll get your pick of the good centers in this draft at 7th and you get a 26 year old pretty good defenseman that you could lock up for a while helping your defense
Bad thing is... Korpisalo only has 1 season as a starter and it was not good. He still has 4 more years at 4 million. We do have alot of history with Finnish goalies though so maybe we can salvage him.

Adding chychrun makes more sense with McDonagh gone. His abilities should fit well in Brunette's system. Just not sure if we would be able to fully utilize him with Josi around. Josi does need someone that can take over some of the heavy mintues as he gets older.

Can probably get a good center prospect at 7th overall.

Overall id probably be disappointed considering we are taking on a contract that looks like an absolute albatross of a contract. Plus side his buyout isnt terrible if it became necessary.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
We've also seen in years past where we figured they had probably been working on an early deal already only to find out they hadn't even talked to one another. Until we hear one way or the other I try not to assume anything.
I mean, Trotz stated it already. He seems to be fairly forthcoming about things in general. If folks want to think he's lying, I mean, folks can think whatever they want. But I don't see any reason not to take him at face value here. :dunno:

“Yeah, we’re talking to ‘Juice’ and talking to his representative,” Trotz told The Athletic. “I think they want to get something done. I would like to get something done. So we’re going to work toward that. I haven’t been in any hurry because I don’t think there’s any reason why I won’t get it done.”

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I mean, Trotz stated it already. He seems to be fairly forthcoming about things in general. If folks want to think he's lying, I mean, folks can think whatever they want. But I don't see any reason not to take him at face value here. :dunno:

“Yeah, we’re talking to ‘Juice’ and talking to his representative,” Trotz told The Athletic. “I think they want to get something done. I would like to get something done. So we’re going to work toward that. I haven’t been in any hurry because I don’t think there’s any reason why I won’t get it done.”
Wanting to get something done doesnt necessarily get things done though. If they reach an impasse for contract numbers (term, cap, trade protections, etc), that would be a snag that would keep you from getting things done.

Flip side: no GM is going to sink an assets trade value by vocalizing "yeh he wants way too much term/money and we are going to trade him".

He has left himself open to both possibilities. He can trade him and say we didnt come to an agreement or he can extend him.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Wanting to get something done doesnt necessarily get things done though. If they reach an impasse for contract numbers (term, cap, trade protections, etc), that would be a snag that would keep you from getting things done.

Flip side: no GM is going to sink an assets trade value by vocalizing "yeh he wants way too much term/money and we are going to trade him".

He has left himself open to both possibilities. He can trade him and say we didnt come to an agreement or he can extend him.
And he has lots of time. Saros' agent doesn't have a lot of clients and won't be too busy, so if they talked at the Combine last week, along with any prior "feeler" level talks, they are probably in good shape. Trotz can afford to play hardball over a longer timeframe if he really needs to, but I won't expect that to happen.

I understand people want to "fear the worst" most of the time, I suppose it helps mitigate against disappointment? But this is definitely not one of the negotiations that I am worried about. And most of the time, I'm more likely to be in the other camp going:scared:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
And he has lots of time. Saros' agent doesn't have a lot of clients and won't be too busy, so if they talked at the Combine last week, along with any prior "feeler" level talks, they are probably in good shape. Trotz can afford to play hardball over a longer timeframe if he really needs to, but I won't expect that to happen.

I understand people want to "fear the worst" most of the time, I suppose it helps mitigate against disappointment? But this is definitely not one of the negotiations that I am worried about. And most of the time, I'm more likely to be in the other camp going:scared:
If a good offer comes up and they look to be worlds apart, i think a trade would be appropriate.

If a good offer doesnt materialize or theyre pretty close on term/cap, i think he will hold on to him.

Personally, i think we should trade him but if he is extended at a decent cap and term then i wont be mad. If we extend him to an 8 year huge cap contract, ill think it was a very dumb move but will get over it.

Reactions: hockey diva

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If a good offer comes up and they look to be worlds apart, i think a trade would be appropriate.

If a good offer doesnt materialize or theyre pretty close on term/cap, i think he will hold on to him.

Personally, i think we should trade him but if he is extended at a decent cap and term then i wont be mad. If we extend him to an 8 year huge cap contract, ill think it was a very dumb move but will get over it.
It just seems to me like there is too much "supply" in terms of goaltending options right now for us to be able to get any good offers.

And I don't think you have to worry about Trotz actually giving him a huge 8-year contract. I believe Trotz when he says he's not inclined to hand out crazy term "retirement" type contracts anymore.

So either we get him on a manageable contract, or we trade him for a "bad offer"... the two most likely options IMHO. Albeit if the "bad offer" level is soooo bad, we just keep Saros to on his current 1-year deal, and keep watching how things unfold leading up to the trade deadline in the coming season. Again, Trotz can afford to wait things out if he needs to.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I suspect we end up giving him more money and term in exchange for no NMC so we have maximum flexibility for the next expansion draft.

Reactions: Gh24

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Some speculation that the Coyotes may be willing to trade the 6OA pick. I know the Ingram/Vejmelka tandem has worked pretty well for them, but maybe they want to add another Preds goalie into the mix. In any case, that's the 6OA, 7OA, and 10OA that have all been reported to be in play, which could make for some interesting options.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Some speculation that the Coyotes may be willing to trade the 6OA pick. I know the Ingram/Vejmelka tandem has worked pretty well for them, but maybe they want to add another Preds goalie into the mix. In any case, that's the 6OA, 7OA, and 10OA that have all been reported to be in play, which could make for some interesting options.
If any of those are up for grabs, especially 6 or 7, you have to move Saros, especially if there’s a number 1 center available. We’d be fools not to.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think with NJ off the board, that will hopefully help dispel the notion of Saros being traded. The Devils aren't necessarily the only team that might trade for a starting goalie, but they were probably the most truly desperate team, the team which other teams would have to bid high against. Most other teams can "make do" in one fashion or another, without it being a desperate situation for them.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I suspect both NJ and LA will be back in the market for a #1 goalie in 2 and 3 years respectively... which might end up being a better fit for our timeline. :naughty:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
WSH with only one goalie on the roster now though.
Hershey has been such a powerhouse team in the AHL, it's hard to tell if their eye-popping goalie stats down there are indicative of guys being ready for the show or just the byproduct of being on such good teams? But maybe they think they can get by just fine on the cheap? :dunno:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
The downside of all these goalie trades is there are now going to be more teams looking for a goalie like Lankinen. If Trotz isn't going to sign Saros and promote Askarov he needs to lock up Lanky quickly, as I suspect he will be gone if he gets to July 1

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
The downside of all these goalie trades is there are now going to be more teams looking for a goalie like Lankinen. If Trotz isn't going to sign Saros and promote Askarov he needs to lock up Lanky quickly, as I suspect he will be gone if he gets to July 1
Yeah we've got to make a decision on a Saros trade by free agency I'd think. Doesn't mean we necessarily need to re-sign him then but if we haven't traded him at that point he'll almost certainly be starting the season with us.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Non-update update on The Athletic's "Trade Board"

14. Juuse Saros

There’s optimism that the Predators will be in a position to extend Saros to a new contract once the CBA rules allow it to happen in July, but it’s no secret that they’ve shopped him before. That’s significant because of the current state of the goaltending market and the possibility Nashville pivots in the event contract talks aren’t as fruitful as hoped. Saros is an incredibly athletic goaltender who has averaged 65 starts across his past three seasons, and he never seems to stray too far from the Vezina Trophy conversation.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I am not sure where the reports are from, but on morning radio (102.5) they said Saros has started his requests at 8yr x 8.5m range. That's honestly higher than I would want him signed, but based on how negotiations work that's really not as high as I expected. That's a number that's close enough that I believe a deal gets worked out.

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
I am not sure where the reports are from, but on morning radio (102.5) they said Saros has started his requests at 8yr x 8.5m range. That's honestly higher than I would want him signed, but based on how negotiations work that's really not as high as I expected. That's a number that's close enough that I believe a deal gets worked out.
He gets one shot at an 8-year deal (only the Preds can give him this and at 29 years old, he doesn't get another chance), so it's hard to see him moving off of that unless Trotz "buys" a few years off the term with increased salary. I'd prefer Trotz give him the 8 years at a lower salary and not giving a NMC, so that we at least have flexibility to move him at the deadline or when expansion rolls around.

Reactions: PredsV82

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I think the source is Pagnotta from this video: NHL Now: David Pagnotta | NHL.com. He also said he thinks Saros will likely be gone and we've checked in on Necas. He's not generally super reliable from my understanding so I'd probably take that with a grain of salt.

I'd prefer Trotz give him the 8 years at a lower salary and not giving a NMC, so that we at least have flexibility to move him at the deadline or when expansion rolls around.
Yeah the NTC/NMC is the big sticking point. I wouldn't love $8M x 8yrs but if it comes without any trade protections I think it would be ok.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00