Proposal: Trade Juuse Saros

Trade Saros?

• Total voters

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I feel like maybe our biggest priority this offseason should be a true number 1 centre. O’Reilly surpassed my expectations last season but he’s not getting any younger and he is much better suited as second line centre. We have enough wingers really…

Imagine we can get Necas as our new number 1 centre. He just turned 25, he’s already put up over 70 points in a season and he’s a big body as well for a number 1 centre. I say this guy should be the target then if we really wanna move Saros while he has lots of value and go with askarov or whatever then I’m sure there are other playoff teams that would move us someone in a Saros deal. Does not have to be marner.

Imagine this though:

Forsberg Necas Nyquist
Novak O’Reilly Evangelista

And that’s with keeping Saros, we get necas with some of our plentiful picks and maybe Tomasino or whatever. The top six could get even sexier with a Saros trade… or we move Saros for a top pair defenseman… should be an exciting offseason either way!
There really isn’t to many center available in free agency or trade this year. No ones in line to trade there number 1 center. But that’s not to say trotz doesn’t have some options. As you posted we could trade for necas but as someone else posted he really never played center in the nhl. You would think that if he was good enough to play center he would have gotten the chance. If we traded for necas he could play center but more than likely he’ll be a winger. You have monahan, Stevenson, and lindholm as the only top 6 center available in free agency. I’m not sure any of them are a that much of upgrades on what we have though. If stamkos come available he’s the only one that would give you a top line center. Like oreilly before he came here he hasn’t played there in a couple of years but I’m sure he didn’t forget and he still a great point producer. Trotz could go the offer sheet route but I doubt he will. If he’s willing byfield, Beniers or Lundell would be options but the chances on those teams not matching is slim. You could trade for an upcoming center but who knows what you’ll have to trade or if that team will even trade them. Wingers on the other hand has a lot of top notch players and there are some real good defenseman. Center maybe the biggest need but getting top notch winger and a defenseman might be the only option

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Supposedly Zegras and Necas are available. Both of them have issues that I think Brunnete will not like.

I like the idea of offersheeting Beniers but seattle as all sorts of capspace.

Byfield would be interesting and LA is tighter on the cap if they want to keep their team together.

Lundell would be interesting as well and the Panthers will have a hard time matching if they want to keep Tarasenko, Reinhart, Montour.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
But necas isn't a center (or atleast hasn't been one at the NHL level) and honestly he just reminds me of a more talented version of Novak. Not sure that's the kind of center Brunette would want considering he just gave Novak 4th line minutes in the playoffs
Well, Necas is a little stronger on the puck than "Pool Noodle" Novak. Admittedly that's not saying much.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
On the way home today I'm catching NHL Network and there is still chatter about Saros to NJ and Marner divorcing from TML and the first place they said would like nice for Marner because of the tax situation is Nashville.

We've all automatically assumed a deal with Toronto has to involve Saros. What if it doesn't? What if we move Saros to NJ for 10OA and say Mercer and then put a package together for Marner that addresses some of their short comings? Not sure what that package could be, maybe our 1st rounder, Fabbro, Sissons, Tomasino or some semblance of a move that gives them some depth that they've been looking for.

Reactions: PredsV82

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Personally think Toronto would want Novak to immediately replace some of Marner's production. After that they'd probably want some high end prospects or 1sts. I think with how well Woll has played they'd be more after Markstrom or a more short term stop gap to see if Woll can stay healthy

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I don't really like deals that would weaken us down the middle of the ice. If our centers end up being ROR and 3 AHL guys and our goalie is a rookie who needs to be in the AHL at least another year, we're in big trouble.

Reactions: hido

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't really like deals that would weaken us down the middle of the ice. If our centers end up being ROR and 3 AHL guys and our goalie is a rookie who needs to be in the AHL at least another year, we're in big trouble.
No offense, after seeing him in the playoffs, Novak has no business being anywhere near the Center position in the NHL.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
No offense, after seeing him in the playoffs, Novak has no business being anywhere near the Center position in the NHL.
I mean, it also depends on how competitive your team is going to be. Ultimately, if we didn't have any other centers, we could use Novak as a smaller/softer #2 offense-only center. Many NHL teams have employed this type of player in that role in the past. Just... they aren't likely to be very competitive or successful teams. :)

But anyway, I just don't see the problem with using Parssinen in that role, if we have nobody else. He was sooooo good there when he first came up the season before last. It's hard to believe that has all just evaporated into nothing. Eventually, I'm also optimistic about Svechkov... but then I worry that the organization will start to look at him sort of like all the other candidates that have been coming along... he's not big, he's not particularly fast or physical. He's a smart and creative player, but it sure seems like we just automatically move everybody to wing if they don't somehow magically check every box on the Perfect Center wishlist? Or unless they are 32 years old and have already played center in the NHL anyway.

At some point, we have to start maximizing the asset value of these young players that we're investing draft picks and development time in. Even if they are imperfect in some way. So if Novak is a little soft, or Parssinen isn't fast, or Svechkov is a little small... whatever the perceived imperfection is, they're the players we have. Figure out a way to get the MOST out of them despite the imperfections, as opposed to getting the absolute LEAST possible out of them. :banghead:

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
None taken. I was one of those that thought he should've been moved to wing to allow Parssinen to play center. Novak has his strengths, but being a big physical presence, a guy who can physically overpower someone on the dot or in front of the crease isn't among them. He's a discount Mikael Granlund type of center, though Granlund has a better overall defensive game.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
None taken. I was one of those that thought he should've been moved to wing to allow Parssinen to play center. Novak has his strengths, but being a big physical presence, a guy who can physically overpower someone on the dot or in front of the crease isn't among them. He's a discount Mikael Granlund type of center, though Granlund has a better overall defensive game.
I tend to agree here. Novak was the best option for 2C after Pärssinen was sent down and Glass was on the struggle bus. Didn't really leave us alot of options at the NHL level. Hopefully Parssinen is more ready next season and Novak can go back to wing or we find a better fit 1/2C

If New Jersey offers Holtz and the 10th pick would you take it?
Not huge on Holtz personally and we have so many wingers in our pipeline. Would rather have Casey or maybe Bahl and Vilén

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If New Jersey offers Holtz and the 10th pick would you take it?
No. Unless Saros isn’t willing to sign with us.

If we have to trade Saros due to contract impasse, then it would depend what other teams are offering. Holtz and #10 doesn’t do much for us, but it’s better than nothing.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
The Saros decision will come down to Saros. If he's willing to accept less term (say 6 years) and no more than $7 million, Trotz will extend him. If he wants his market value (I'm assuming 8x8), we'll move him to the highest bidder.

Juuse wants to stay here. Trotz wants Juuse here but won't give out the max term contract based on his current principles.

Puck is in Juuse's end. (should be used to it)

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Askarov remains a question mark at the NHL level and that factors in with the Saros decision heading into the draft. He's had some great runs but also a few issues coupled with injuries while in Milwaukee. Holtz and the 10th on its own probably doesn't entice Trotz to bite right now. Entering the season with Saros and Askarov as the duo, seeing how things play out, and deciding closer to the TDL is a very real possibility.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Depends on who's at 10. Holtz is more of the same we've already got.
If Catton, Iginla, or Helenius is there at 10 I’m making the trade. If we can some how jump to 8 and take Iginla over Calgary I would laugh and be excited. I think Iginla is gonna be good like his dad and would love to have him on the preds. But any of the 3 I named would be great additions

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If Catton, Iginla, or Helenius is there at 10 I’m making the trade. If we can some how jump to 8 and take Iginla over Calgary I would laugh and be excited. I think Iginla is gonna be good like his dad and would love to have him on the preds. But any of the 3 I named would be great additions
I strongly suspect Iginla is going top-5 or close to top-5.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't care how much Saros wants to be here, he's not signing for less than an 8 x 8. Move him. Get the pieces you can muster and move on.

And if we do give him that contract, Trotz should be let go immediately. That's an insane contract for a guy about to be 30 who's never won in the playoffs.
Have some faith in the parties involved here. Trotz will NOT sign him to that. And Saros won't be asking for it anyway. You guys are worried about nothing here.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Have some faith in the parties involved here. Trotz will NOT sign him to that. And Saros won't be asking for it anyway. You guys are worried about nothing here.
You seriously think Saros isn’t going to ask for that or more? The only way that deal happens is if there’s a sign and trade in place. He will be asking for that. He’s earned the right to do so. Every other goalie in his tier have asked for that type of money and/or term.

I’m not worried unless the pen meets paper and that’s the deal. We’ll see what happens soon enough is my guess.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Oh I absolutely think he will ask for that, if he doesn't he needs to fire his agent. Now where I agree with you is I don't think Trotz will give him that, so then its a question of just how much Saros wants the money vs being here. If the money is what matter then Saros won't be a Pred I don't think.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Oh I absolutely think he will ask for that, if he doesn't he needs to fire his agent. Now where I agree with you is I don't think Trotz will give him that, so then its a question of just how much Saros wants the money vs being here. If the money is what matter then Saros won't be a Pred I don't think.
Another trade proposal for saros
Saros, tomasino and the 22nd pick
For
Korpisalo, chychurn, and 7th pick

This pretty much guarantees that you’ll get your pick of the good centers in this draft at 7th and you get a 26 year old pretty good defenseman that you could lock up for a while helping your defense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad