Trade Ideas Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Here I am to completely SHUT DOWN this bogus narrative.

Dubinsky, Sedlak, Robinson, Dalpe AND Nash are more skilled and more versatile than Hannikainen. He's a decent passer in tight with the puck and a pretty smart and good forechecker who isn't afraid to be aggressive, that's it.

Don't give me this, "he's better offensively", BS. He isn't. Not any of them. Shooting, passing, puck control, skating.

I don't care about the /60 numbers.

I think you need to re-read what I said

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
According to these guys Duchene extension talks going nowhere.

I think Duchene should be a TDL target if the Jackets want to make a serious run in the playoffs.

Put a package together from Wennberg, Duclair, Nutivaara, Hannikainen, Kukan, Harrington and picks and prospects.

That being said if we can't/won't trade for Duchene I'd vote to ship Bread out for best deal.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
According to these guys Duchene extension talks going nowhere.

I think Duchene should be a TDL target if the Jackets want to make a serious run in the playoffs.

Put a package together from Wennberg, Duclair, Nutivaara, Hannikainen, Kukan, Harrington and picks and prospects.

That being said if we can't/won't trade for Duchene I'd vote to ship Bread out for best deal.

Unless Duchene plans on re-signing, trading Wennberg for him only helps our center issue for 2 months. Then after that, we have a gaping hole after Dubois. We really want Riley Nash as our 2nd line center?

Anyway, if Duchene comes with an extension in place and they want Wennberg, then that's something we should entertain. Although I don't think they'd want him in a Duchene deal. I don't know their team or prospects but I suspect it would start with Foudy, Bjorkstrand, or Carlsson.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Unless Duchene plans on re-signing, trading Wennberg for him only helps our center issue for 2 months. Then after that, we have a gaping hole after Dubois. We really want Riley Nash as our 2nd line center?

Anyway, if Duchene comes with an extension in place and they want Wennberg, then that's something we should entertain. Although I don't think they'd want him in a Duchene deal. I don't know their team or prospects but I suspect it would start with Foudy, Bjorkstrand, or Carlsson.

UHHH, who's our "2nd line center" now? Its not Wennberg. We could easily sign somebody to fill Wennberg's void, especially with an extra open 4-5 mil. And why do you act like trading for these guys before would have no impact on them possibly signing long term?? Think about when guys trade for the UFA rights of guys just a small time in advance, just to bring them around the guys and rink, and to SHOW THEM THEY ARE INTERESTED before anybody else. Same concept goes for Tarasenko and Panarin.

And do you not see the difference in values in, Foudy, Bjorkstrand, and Carlsson?

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
With that said.

Coyle, Dzingel, Zuccarello, Duchene, Tarasenko, ROR, Rick Nash, McQuaid

Is the new list.

I would love ROR/Tarasenko/Duchene, but DO question what the return would be, both as a rental or long term solution.

I believe Dzingel or Zuccarello seem to be the more probable options.

Coyle is who I believe would be the best target. In regards to how much he would cost, along with HIS potential, and THE potential he would re-sign after his remaining 1.5 years left.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
It is. He may not be ideal for the role right now, but that's what he's doing.

The Jenner/Anderson line combo is the 2nd line.

Whatever "soft" and "offensive" line Wennberg is centering with Duclair, etc. is the 3rd line.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The Jenner/Anderson line combo is the 2nd line.

Whatever "soft" and "offensive" line Wennberg is centering with Duclair, etc. is the 3rd line.
Grar. Double-checked and it turned out I misread ATOI; Jenner is indeed getting more playing time. Mea culpa.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
UHHH, who's our "2nd line center" now? Its not Wennberg. We could easily sign somebody to fill Wennberg's void, especially with an extra open 4-5 mil. And why do you act like trading for these guys before would have no impact on them possibly signing long term?? Think about when guys trade for the UFA rights of guys just a small time in advance, just to bring them around the guys and rink, and to SHOW THEM THEY ARE INTERESTED before anybody else. Same concept goes for Tarasenko and Panarin.

And do you not see the difference in values in, Foudy, Bjorkstrand, and Carlsson?

Given his ice time, he is certainly being played like he's the second line center, and even if Jenner is playing more, that issue still stands due to Wennberg's minutes.

It's always easy to say "we can just sign someone" with that money. We don't know who is going to be a free agent. It's likely that there will be at least one or two decent centers in UFA, but who's to say we can just get him? Trading Wennberg with the backup plan of "we can just sign someone" is going in blind and reckless.

Because the impact on them signing long term could go both ways. Duchene seems inclined to go to the market, and given when we would trade for him in this hypothetical he'd be 3-4 months away from UFA. Why wouldn't he test the waters, especially since he has no history here? It's the same thing for any team hypothetically trading for Panarin.

Yes, there is difference in values. Foudy is a highly touted prospect, Bjorkstrand is a high potential NHL winger with issues, and Carlsson is a reclamation project defenseman. However, they all have decent value, especially Bjorkstrand. It was just tossing names out there.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's always easy to say "we can just sign someone" with that money. We don't know who is going to be a free agent. It's likely that there will be at least one or two decent centers in UFA, but who's to say we can just get him? Trading Wennberg with the backup plan of "we can just sign someone" is going in blind and reckless.
So very this. You get a cookie.

320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

This would be why I keep going on about how we should be talking about "upgrading at #2C", not "getting rid of Wennberg". The latter can be fairly easily achieved if that truly is the end goal - but I submit that the real goal is to ultimately make the team better, and Wennberg is not (presently) so hopeless that we're in an "addition by subtraction" situation with him.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Given his ice time, he is certainly being played like he's the second line center, and even if Jenner is playing more, that issue still stands due to Wennberg's minutes.

You could or should consider him a "middle 6" player as he is playing between the 2nd and 3rd lines. His special teams play adds to the minutes and i'd argue that he only deserves or should see 2nd unit PP time and no PK time.

I'm to the point where i think we would be better off with Wennberg's spot filled internally WITHOUT a relacement. Getting Sedlak, Robinson, Dalpe into games and adding icetime to guys like Bjork or Duclair on offense and Dubinksy in general.

And yes, i believe something could EASILY be done with that money to fill whatever "void" Wennberg supposedly fills or would leave open. The idea was that losing Wennberg "hurts" our center position. My point is that with or without him we have 2 guys better and capable of being a 1-2 C punch at the NHL level in Dubois and Jenner, and while it would be nice to ADD to them (which in this context Wennberg is USED to do that) we wouldn't be "going in blind and reckless" LOSING Wennberg, without the "guarantee" of a replacement.

And, I havent looked at any list, but i'm willing to bet there will be or is nearly 10 centers just as valuable or a better fit than Wennberg in any given UFA year. Remember, were going by 18/19 Wennberg.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You could or should consider him a "middle 6" player as he is playing between the 2nd and 3rd lines. His special teams play adds to the minutes and i'd argue that he only deserves or should see 2nd unit PP time and no PK time.

I'm to the point where i think we would be better off with Wennberg's spot filled internally WITHOUT a relacement. Getting Sedlak, Robinson, Dalpe into games and adding icetime to guys like Bjork or Duclair on offense and Dubinksy in general.
That may be, but I'd rather see it tried before we commit to dumping him.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

................ LOSING Wennberg, without the "guarantee" of a replacement.

And, I havent looked at any list, but i'm willing to bet there will be or is nearly 10 centers just as valuable or a better fit than Wennberg in any given UFA year. Remember, were going by 18/19 Wennberg.

The CBJ FO is having to do some heavy evaluation of their center corps. PLD and Jenner are the only givens going into 2019-20. Dubinsky is an expensive bottom 6 player at this point or a buyout. The Nash signing is an abject failure.-he's a buyout. It's time to cut the cord with Wennberg via giveaway trade or 1/3rd buyout. Sedlak is an organizational depth-type player-no problem with him on the $700,000 one way or two way deal as a player's salary of $1 million or less can be "buried" in the minors and not count against the cap.

Playing those you mentioned aren't going to hurt the team-Wennberg "adds" next to nothing anymore. I'm pretty sure (except for Robinson-I don't know anything about him) that the others aren't long term solutions. Unless Letestu is so slow now that he can't play in the NHL, he could be part of this short term center "filler" solution.

So much depends on the Panarin/Bob situations. But even if they miraculously stay, the center problem must be addressed.

And Step #1 is ridding the CBJ of Wennberg-he isn't the type of player a team shooting for the top would have on its roster. Might as well do it now with your approach.

Trading for an unsigned Duchesne for a Wennberg, a "B" prospect and lower pick would be ideal. If he doesn't sign on, no big deal. Losing Wennberg is addition by subtraction.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJfan4evr

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Hallelujah Brother Rock, just Hallelujah. Exactly!!!! Losing Wennberg is addition by subtraction. And I think trading Pooh, Milano and a mid level pick would be more than enough to get an unsigned Duchene for the stretch run. Now we may have to do another move to replace Bread. But it can be done. Duchene would be such an extreme upgrade over Pooh that we could afford a slight drop off in Bread's slot and still be a playoff contender. Behind its paywall today the Athlete has a good article listing potential TDL targets. It has most of the guys we have already discussed. I feel strongly that if we need to move Bread we can still make the playoffs if Jarmo is aggressive in his dealings. And "aggressive" does not mean destroying our future. But a line of Duchene, Duclair and Bjork could be a good second line. Then put Boone, Fligs and Anderson for a solid third line. It can be done.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Losing Wennberg is addition by subtraction.
We'd need to take some time to replace him at C and as the Official HFCBJ Whipping Boy.

Duchene would be such an extreme upgrade over Pooh that we could afford a slight drop off in Bread's slot and still be a playoff contender.
I see no issue with trading for Duchene. If Wennberg is part of that package, okay, sure. But the monomaniacal focus on "MAKE WENNBERG GO AWAY" is poisonous.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
No, Vizqi, Wennberg and his style of play is poisonous.

On the current roster we can replace Wennberg with following centers: as follows:

PLD line 1
Fligs Line 2
Boone Line 3
Dubie Line 4

switch Boone and Fligs as you desire. They are both better than Wennie.

Reactions: thebus88

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Let me fill those lines out completely:

Bread-PLD-Cam
Duclair-Fligs-Bjork
Robinson-Boone-Anderson
Hannekainen-Dubie-Sedlak

Wennberg would not be missed at all. Nor would Riley Nash.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
No, Vizqi, Wennberg and his style of play is poisonous.
Based on what? Persistent distaste that jumped the shark ages ago? An acknowledged failure to shoot that holds him back but doesn't render him worthless? Jealousy over personal appearance? Disappointment due to his not meeting expectations?

Reactions: koteka

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
So there are rumors, or musings at least, that Schenn is available from STL. I wonder if that cost wouldn't be cheaper/better than Duchene or Hayes.

Or maybe take a flyer on Burakovsky (LW, for those that would move Foligno to center).

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
So there are rumors, or musings at least, that Schenn is available from STL. I wonder if that cost wouldn't be cheaper/better than Duchene or Hayes.

Or maybe take a flyer on Burakovsky (LW, for those that would move Foligno to center).
I was about to bring up Schenn. Has 1 more year left after this season then becomes a UFA. Cap hit is around $5.1 I believe.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
We'd need to take some time to replace him at C and as the Official HFCBJ Whipping Boy.

I see no issue with trading for Duchene. If Wennberg is part of that package, okay, sure. But the monomaniacal focus on "MAKE WENNBERG GO AWAY" is poisonous.

To whom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: