GDT: Trade Deadline Day

Johnny 5

is alive, motherf—
Jan 25, 2010
The Milky Way
Sometimes getting whatever you can really is worse than losing a player for nothing, and I think this is one of those times.

If you're Ken Holland, it would have been better to let him play out the year than to say this loudly and this clearly to other general managers that, if you just wait long enough, I'm happy to take whatever ******* you're offering.

My goodness. Even a second would have been OK, but they have to take back a useless player too. And they retain salary! Which is immaterial but for the principle of it, given the situation, but Christ.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Kid is super talented, wouldn't mind picking him up if the price was decent.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
George Malik‏ @georgemalik 3m3 minutes ago

George Malik Retweeted Mike Foss

Via @BradGalli

George Malik added,
Mike Foss @MikeFossWXYZ
.@JSportsnet's full comments: "They're done for the day. There'll be no more trades out of DET this afternoon. No Sheahan, no Glendening."

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

Via @BradGalli

George Malik added,
Mike Foss @MikeFossWXYZ
.@JSportsnet's full comments: "They're done for the day. There'll be no more trades out of DET this afternoon. No Sheahan, no Glendening."

Well damn.

Let's hope Babcock convinces Lamirello to call and offer up a 1st for Sheahan.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Via @BradGalli

George Malik added,
Mike Foss @MikeFossWXYZ

Say it aint so George, say it aint so! Now I actually need to work.:(

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

Via @BradGalli

George Malik added,
Mike Foss @MikeFossWXYZ

Meh. Was hoping Sheahan would be on the move.

caseygraves

Don Cherry apologist
On old timer jumping on here real quick to say one thing, I apologize if someone else already mentioned it...

But I am liking Hollands strategy of signing veterans that any team can use to one year deals and then trading them at the deadline for picks... It's almost like a rental, just for a longer part of the year. it's a great way to build picks I think...

I do agree that we need to get rid of these kids that dont want so score goals... but we all know Holland wouldnt do that...

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
On old timer jumping on here real quick to say one thing, I apologize if someone else already mentioned it...

But I am liking Hollands strategy of signing veterans that any team can use to one year deals and then trading them at the deadline for picks... It's almost like a rental, just for a longer part of the year. it's a great way to build picks I think...

I do agree that we need to get rid of these kids that dont want so score goals... but we all know Holland wouldnt do that...

Holland's approach to this deadline makes me think that he is expecting to be right back in the playoffs hunt next year. They aren't rebuilding yet. Seconds and thirds aren't going to rebuild a team and if you wait til next year to trade Green you are not getting a first.

Like I said, the next 3-5 years are going to be rough.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
They aren't rebuilding yet.

He's going to try to retool and make the playoffs again, yeah.

I think if you're going this route, I hope he makes a move for youngish players that can have an impact immediately. Think Fowler or one of the young rumored centers available. Sure, you might have to give up a great player like AA, but if you're not going to completely gut the team and get high draft picks, at least try to upgrade your key positions at center and defense.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Holland's approach to this deadline makes me think that he is expecting to be right back in the playoffs hunt next year. They aren't rebuilding yet. Seconds and thirds aren't going to rebuild a team and if you wait til next year to trade Green you are not getting a first.

Like I said, the next 3-5 years are going to be rough.

He said last night they're going to try to turn it around in the off season. That's the exact opposite of what the plan should be. Just hoping he blunders his way into movable assets while still being a bottom 5 team.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

Kid is super talented, wouldn't mind picking him up if the price was decent.

The years I was going to OHL games Ho-Sang had the sickest moves I've ever seen. While McDavid makes subtle plays quickly at top speed JHS would pull out the most exaggerated reaching toe-drags. I've been waiting for his arrival ever since. If we could grab him or a Duclair I will never criticize Holland again.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
He's going to try to retool and make the playoffs again, yeah.

I think if you're going this route, I hope he makes a move for youngish players that can have an impact immediately. Think Fowler or one of the young rumored centers available. Sure, you might have to give up a great player like AA, but if you're not going to completely gut the team and get high draft picks, at least try to upgrade your key positions at center and defense.

Dissapointing day, and yes he's looking to retool but he should look at the standings and realize a retool isn't going to get you to where you want to go. Time to strip the cupboard more, gotta atleast move green today as well. Oh well Kenny guided the ship we are here because of him.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Just hoping he blunders his way into movable assets while still being a bottom 5 team.

Unless there's some miracle acquisition for the blueline, this team is toast next year, too. Your blueline is probably the most important group in the NHL and the Wings are rolling out a real ugly group.

Compound that with the fact Mrazek isn't a franchise savior and I don't see how this team is anything more than "statistically not out" for most of the year.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Unless there's some miracle acquisition for the blueline, this team is toast next year, too. Your blueline is probably the most important group in the NHL and the Wings are rolling out a real ugly group.

Compound that with the fact Mrazek isn't a franchise savior and I don't see how this team is anything more than "statistically not out" for most of the year.

Yep,it's frightening looking at it and imagining what he sees to make the statement that they'll try to turn it around in one off season. There's nothing really available in free agency this year and we don't have cap space. I'm just hoping for a few vanek and ott type signings that are movable when he inevitably accepts we're out of it at the deadline.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007

Looking at what is available in the offseason, there are very few top-six forwards and no top-pair D hitting UFA. Holland keeps saying that he will just get players in the offseason, but top players don't hit the market anymore, and none of them want to come to a team in a bad city that is picking 5-8 every year.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Ugh, just listened to KH interview on TSN.

First few minutes he was saying all the right things, talking about getting picks and getting younger. Promise of the young guys etc.

Then he's asked what it'll feel like if they miss the playoffs and his first thing is "we'll have to make some moves in the summer" which is great...followed by "don't wanna miss two years in a row".

Can't wait for him to desperately try to cling on to mediocrity once again.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
What is he supposed to say

"We expect to miss again the next few years before we're good again."

Even openly tanking teams give lip service about trying to make the playoffs.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Ugh, just listened to KH interview on TSN.

First few minutes he was saying all the right things, talking about getting picks and getting younger. Promise of the young guys etc.

Then he's asked what it'll feel like if they miss the playoffs and his first thing is "we'll have to make some moves in the summer" which is great...followed by "don't wanna miss two years in a row".

Can't wait for him to desperately try to cling on to mediocrity once again.

To be fair, he can't come out and say"Doesn't matter what we do this year since we're going to miss again next year."

The Wings are never going to tank. Fortunately the UFA pool this year is so weak they will almost certainly not be able to improve and will be just as weak next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad