Speculation: Trade Deadline #3 - Wings do nothing, MOD warning post #1

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
No I'm not. I'm telling you we didn't have the kind of assets to trade for what San Jose got back. Either we didn't have them, or we needed them to ice a hockey team.

:laugh: That is the biggest reach I've seen here today.

But yeah. You're still missing the point. San Jose didn't need to keep Murray, Clowe, or Handzus. So they traded them.

And when other teams went into panic mode trying to get anything for a non-integral free agent that they knew they weren't going to retain, they sold low and DW bought.

It's really not that hard to understand.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m

a rare thing indeed: Detroit Red Wings did not make a trade on deadline day. Probably smart, need to keep picks

Sarcasm??

You know what'd be even smarter than retaining our draft picks pierre? Adding some more by trading extra guys like White, Coco, Cleary, and Eaves

We probably coulda moved White or Coco, I agree, but they weren't moving Cleary cause Babs loves him so much (hopefully they're smart enough to move on come July) and I doubt Miller and Eaves has much value, if any.

Millers and Eaveses are on waivers daily. Do they have more value than guys like Hall and Santorelli who were claimed today? They're certainly not better than J.Jokinen who was basically given away for free.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Johan Larsson is a slightly better prospect than Sheahan based on HF's rankings. He is pretty close in value to Jarnkrok, and Hackett is about the equivalent of Mrazek.

Thats a pretty good return for Pominville

I think Larsson has a higher offensive ceiling than Sheahan, but I like the combo of Sheahan's size and speed better if they pan out as 3rd liners. Absolutely, the return isn't bad, but I like it from Minny's standpoint.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
We probably coulda moved White or Coco, I agree, but they weren't moving Cleary cause Babs loves him so much (hopefully they're smart enough to move on come July) and I doubt Miller and Eaves has much value, if any.

Millers and Eaveses are on waivers daily. Do they have more value than guys like Hall and Santorelli who were claimed today? They're certainly not better than J.Jokinen who was basically given away for free.

I'd be ok with 5-7th rounders for them considering they are taking up valuable roster spots. I don't think a 6-7th rounder for either Eaves or Miller is unreasonable.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Why do so many people think all the players on this team that they hate and can't wait to be rid of are in such desire to other NHL teams that they'd give up assets for them?

Also, almost every post I see where someone is disappointed about the Red Wings not making trade X for player Y that some other team did involves substituting in clearly inferior assets from the Red Wings for what the trade actually went for, then wondering why that hypothetical version didn't happen.

jaster

Hanas chirps per 60 record holder
Jun 8, 2007
"Wait...Trade deadline is TODAY?!"
KenHolland-golf.jpg

LOL! This is original and clever, therefor I greatly enjoy it!

;)

Just razzin' ya, I think I'm numb to all the angst at this point.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
The Gaborik deal hurts, since we could've probably offered something equivalent to what CBJ traded. Let's see if Gaborik works out in Columbus first. Maybe the Tortorella factor hindered his production, but he's had a disappointing season so far. They sent some good depth back to NY too.

Holland didn't want to move any roster players or that 1st round pick. That kills pretty much any deal possible. I wonder what the asking price for Burmistrov was.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
Couldn't even dump off some dead weight? Ech.

Depth is only an asset when that depth is comprised of some half-decent players :shakehead

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
I'm with Ottomatic I really didn't expect us to land anyone, however I wish we could've moved some of the extra bodies we have that aren't contributing and are taking up space on the bench. One can only hope.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Why are people lauding the Rangers when in the span of less than a year they moved Gaborik, Anisomov, Dubinsky, Erixson, and a 1st round pick for Nash, Brassard, Dorsett, Moore, and a 6th?

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
:laugh: That is the biggest reach I've seen here today.

But yeah. You're still missing the point. San Jose didn't need to keep Murray, Clowe, or Handzus. So they traded them.

And when other teams went into panic mode trying to get anything for a non-integral free agent that they knew they weren't going to retain, they sold low and DW bought.

It's really not that hard to understand.

We don't have a Clowe. The closest thing to a Clowe is Filppula. We need Filppula if we want to win. It's not like San Jose. We don't have a Murray to deal. Who the heck knows when Cola is going to fall apart again? Then we're down a Puck mover, and Ian White can still play. We don't even have a Handzus that will net what Handzus got. YOU do not understand.

Detroit Sports*

I seriously believe all Ken Holland cares about is continuing the making the playoffs streak. That's it.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I'd be ok with 5-7th rounders for them considering they are taking up valuable roster spots.

Could we get that though? That's the thing. Having Miller and Eaves on the roster doesn't really bother me. Eaves is likely to be scratched once Z and Sammy come back anyway cause they can don't have to worry about a roster limit now and can keep up Gus and/or call up Tatar.

I do agree we shoulda traded White for something though, we don't need 9 D and he's not coming back next year.

Keeping White and the package Gaborik went for are the only things that upset me, but neither are "Fire Holland" worthy.

People just want something new, be glad we don't have Holmgren or Feaster. Hell even our boy Stevie has been making some questionable moves lately.

It's ok to be upset with Holland, but the grass isn't always greener.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Why are people lauding the Rangers when in the span of less than a year they moved Gaborik, Anisomov, Dubinsky, Erixson, and a 1st round pick for Nash, Brassard, Dorsett, Moore, and a 6th?

The one who deserves lauding is Jarmo.

Lands a star forward, keeps all his first round picks, trades the god awful Steve Mason for a veteran backup/1B with playoff experience and adds a 3rd rounder in the process...Its a good day to be a Columbus fan.

RedWingsNow*

Malik is hilarious. Trying to say CBJ gave up too much on twitter. :laugh: :shakehead

Malik & Co have to spend the entire day making excuses about the "high prices" and talk about how Holland was "smart" not to get sucked into it. Watching Malik go into "damage control" mode is priceless.

Take a look at what the SJ Sharks did.

Traded Murray for Hannan and Handzus for Torress, and 3rd and 4th rounders for 2nd rounders.

Nothing earth shattering. But solid moves, you know?

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
We don't have a Clowe. The closest thing to a Clowe is Filppula. We need Filppula if we want to win. It's not like San Jose. We don't have a Murray to deal. Who the heck knows when Cola is going to fall apart again? Then we're down a Puck mover, and Ian White can still play. We don't even have a Handzus that will net what Handzus got. YOU do not understand.

Yes. I was the one that made the initial post that you are replying to. Clearly I don't understand what my the point of my post was. :sarcasm:

There's no point in arguing with you when you can't see the forest for the trees.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Malik & Co have to spend the entire day making excuses about the "high prices" and talk about how Holland was "smart" not to get sucked into it.

Traded Murray for Hannan and Handzus for Torress, and 3rd and 4th rounders for 2nd rounders.

Hannan is not a solid move. Hanna is garbage by most modern standards.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
For the first time in decades we are not a contender. Holland whiffed on our biggest need, a top pairing dman. He also didn't trade away any depth to make room for our younger players. I really don't understand what it is he does other than sign guys to new deals. And it's not like he's getting great cap hits either; the Z and Mule deals are both petty ugly given their length. This season Holland had a chance to determine the future direction of the franchise and he did nothing. I guess the big hope is to sneak into the playoffs. Seeing how last year's team feel apart after the trade deadline you have to wonder how this group will respond. Holland and the cronies will probably say if we just had Bert and Sammy we'd be as good as anybody. :facepalm: Let's get the Jim Nill era started ASAP.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Malik & Co have to spend the entire day making excuses about the "high prices" and talk about how Holland was "smart" not to get sucked into it.

Not trying to stir **** up, but whatever. Do we all realize that there STILL is no room for Nyquist, Tatar and Anderson next year? Assuming everyone is healthy that is.

Abdelkader - Datsyuk - Franzen
Bertuzzi - Zetterberg - Brunner (needs to be re-signed)
Eaves - Helm - Samuelsson
Tootoo - Emmerton - Nyquist/Tatar/Anderson

This is without Filppula OR Cleary being re-signed. ****ing AWESOME.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
just really surprised they didn't move White. I thought after the DD signing he was a goner.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Fire Ken Holland. Hopefully Flip finally starts playing up to his talent level the rest of the year so some dumb team can overpay him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad