Confirmed with Link: TRADE: Bruins get Nick Holden from NYR for Rob O'Gara and third round pick

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Don't mind this deal at all. Holden had a solid season last year, and looked like he could eventually develop into a top 4 D. But this year has struggled.

Though take the point further up by a Rangers fan re Hockey IQ.

Reactions: Strafer

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
You'll see players of his ilk go for much less closer to the deadline IMO.

Sure, at previous deadlines.

There are usually more of them available as well.

If Sweeney missed out on Holden, but knows he needed a depth LD, not much left to pick from. Older guys on their last legs.

Good chance if he didn't step up, Holden is gone elsewhere by 3:00 PM eastern next Monday. I like the fact stepped up to get the better option, even if it is a depth LD.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Ranger fan here.

Holden's a decent bottom pairing defenseman. He has good talent but he has a really low hockey IQ. Does some of everything though (okay defensively, can skate, has good size and can move the puck) and is a valuable bottom pairing defenseman for a playoff team. He can also play left or right.

Is O'Gara an NHL'er or just a good AHL'er? What is his game like?

O'Gara is a tall, rangy left shot defenseman, who can play both right and left D. Classic defensive defenseman, no real offense to speak of. In style, I suppose he is similar to Brandon Carlo, but Carlo is better by an order of magnitude in every way. Bottom six player if he makes the NHL.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The hate this trade is getting is absolutely hilarious, and typical of Bruins fans. That 3rd round pick is a late 3rd and O'Gara was never going to get a shot here unless there was a slew of injuries. Holden is a NHL defenseman. He has playoff experience, and when you get into the playoffs and need to tap into the 7th-8th-9th defenseman, I'd rather have Holden in than Postma.

Also, he was pretty good last year for a much better Rangers team. 11G/34Pts and played around 20 minutes a night.

Good post, Postma has precisely 0 NHL playoff games and we saw what happened last year when injuries piled up at the wrong time. I can`t really comment on Holden and I wonder out loud how many here making exclamations about his game have really even seen him play? Anyways, this one won`t keep me up at night, looks like he has some offensive ability strictly going on stats, has some playoff experience as you mentioned. Clearly the B`s aren`t really believers in Postma if things get wonky with injuries. I still think there`s more coming, a whole lotta bodies in the dressing room right now. Hextall on HockeyCentral at Noon just said prices right now are "very high"

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Depth guy for the playoff stretch. The Bruins are entering the toughest part of the season... if Chara goes down, we have Krug, Grz, and then Tommy Cross as our closest NHL ready LHD. Then as the physicality ramps up, Krug and Grz, for as tenacious and battlers as they are, will be targeted. If one of them goes down...well, we all saw what happened last year.

The kids will tell you Holden sucks, but honestly, he's not bad. I know a lot of Rangers fans last year saying how great value he was when he scored 11 goals and 34 points, but he hasn't been as good this year ( nor has his team ).

If things don't work out, he's a UFA and we cut him loose. I don't get why people are confused by this trade.​

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Rangers trade Nick Holden to Bruins as fire sale begins

The 30-year-old Holden will be an unrestricted free agent this summer. He played 135 games as a Ranger after being acquired from Colorado before the 2016-17 season for a fourth-round pick.

Holden has three goals and nine assists in 55 games this season. He spent a large portion of the season playing to Ryan McDonagh's right on the top pair.

Not bad trade management by Gorton and company.

Reactions: TCB

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The hate this trade is getting is absolutely hilarious, and typical of Bruins fans. That 3rd round pick is a late 3rd and O'Gara was never going to get a shot here unless there was a slew of injuries. Holden is a NHL defenseman. He has playoff experience, and when you get into the playoffs and need to tap into the 7th-8th-9th defenseman, I'd rather have Holden in than Postma.

Also, he was pretty good last year for a much better Rangers team. 11G/34Pts and played around 20 minutes a night.

I also could say the typical do no wrong Bruins fans defend anything.

I've seen a lot of him. He's not worth his return. Hopefully Dean and Cassidy saw something on film that they can correct. He's not the best decision maker in the world.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Improves our 3rd pair, while giving us another option on the PP.

Don't think this was an over payment at all and we still have a lot of major assets left.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
He's going to get a chance on the 3rd pairing. Grzelyck has slipped recently. And they were always going to pick up insurance on the left side. Suprised they included O'Gara, but they must feel like he's expendable with Grzelyck probably being demoted, so many left handed defenseman.
Now I agree that Gryzelick’s play has slipped a little but not enough to remove him from the current lineup . If Gryz is headed to Providence, I don’t like this deal .

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I don't like Holden and I don't really care about the trade but I don't like the value and this is something I constantly feel annoyed about with Sweeney trades.

Defensive depth is fine but you could pick up a bottom pairing D for a third from tons of teams. O'Gara is still a solid prospect whose probably worth a third on his own.

There is no way Holden is worth this much. Even if the third and O'Gara never pan out we shouldn't be bending over this often.

Reactions: minpind

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Sure, at previous deadlines.

There are usually more of them available as well.

If Sweeney missed out on Holden, but knows he needed a depth LD, not much left to pick from. Older guys on their last legs.

Good chance if he didn't step up, Holden is gone elsewhere by 3:00 PM eastern next Monday. I like the fact stepped up to get the better option, even if it is a depth LD.

meh, again it's Nick Holden. I have faith in our coaches so hopefully he will be far better on this team playing with McQuaid/Miller instead of how he looked with McDonagh and others

Reactions: minpind

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I don't hate it. Got a depth LHD and didn't give up a real asset (1st, 2nd, top prospects etc).

Never been a fan of O'Gara. Not good enough in any one area to be a defenseman in this league for more than a cup of coffee here and there. Turns 25 in the summer. Becomes waiver eligible in the fall.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Can see it now, deadline comes and goes with DS not doing much if anything and B`s fans here saying "_____________ p>

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Ranger fan here.

Holden's a decent bottom pairing defenseman. He has good talent but he has a really low hockey IQ. Does some of everything though (okay defensively, can skate, has good size and can move the puck) and is a valuable bottom pairing defenseman for a playoff team. He can also play left or right.

Is O'Gara an NHL'er or just a good AHL'er? What is his game like?

O'Gara projects to be a bottom pairing/depth dman coming off the bench. He's better than his stats say, but he won't push anyone off your current LHD pro lineup. Good size and his hallmark is his skating ability for a guy his size. Offers very little in the way of physicality or offensive skills.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Head scratcher for sure. Bruins trying to set the record for most depth defenseman or something? Also aren’t the bruins above their active roster limits now? Assuming Miller is healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad