Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v9 - Deadline Looming

Status
Not open for further replies.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
If Kadri is out long term, wonder what happens?
Hyman Tav Marner
Marleau Matty Kap
Johnson Nylander Brown
Lindholm Goat Moore?

Might be interesting to go after a Maroon type. Might look nice on Nylanders wing.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Hyman Tav Marner
Marleau Matty Kap
Johnson Nylander Brown
Lindholm Goat Moore?

Might be interesting to go after a Maroon type. Might look nice on Nylanders wing.

Might be what happens. Nylander has been taking a lot of draws lately it feels like (but playing wing), so I think he could handle at least a few games at the position.

I suggested to call up Brooks as a center, potentially straight up on the third line. He's been molded into a damn good 2-way center for the Marlies. It won't happen, I know.

I do think that there will probably be a little more urgency to find a depth forward now. I don't think Lindholm should be playing regularly and with Kadri gone, I think it's a lot more important to either call up Moore as a regular or find an upgrade via trade.

It doesn't have to be for a super glamorous forward, but one that can provide more than just chipping pucks in corners and not doing much of anything.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Babs is predicable. With Kadri out we will see:

Hyman JT Marner
Marleau Matthews Kappy
AJ Par Nylander
Ennis Goat Brown

Wouldn't mind seeing Moore in the lineup playing with Nylander at #3C but we all know that Brown moves up if Nylander plays #3C.

Hyman JT Marner
Marleau Matthews Kappy
AJ Nylander Brown
Par Goat Ennis

Now is the time to give Moore a longer audition. I have confidence in him but would like a bigger sample size before the playoffs.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
All this McQuaid talk.
Why in the world would we want Adam McQuaid? He is Roman Polak. He wouldn't even be in our top 6, and if he was I shutter to think that Babcock would take out Dermott instead of Zaitsev or Hainsey for him.
No thank you!

You can pile McQuaid, Polak & Gudas under the same category. They're the big #6 defensemen that will add some physicality to the back end, but won't be able to move the puck.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
You can pile McQuaid, Polak & Gudas under the same category. They're the big #6 defensemen that will add some physicality to the back end, but won't be able to move the puck.

Gudas has done a whole lot better than McQuaid and Polak in terms of generating shots and not giving up a billion shots against. I don't think it's fair to lump him with the other 2. Gudas is a good middle pairing defenseman.

I'd be happy with Gudas if the price makes sense... I don't think the price would make sense though and the Flyers probably have no reason to sell low on him.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Babs is predicable. With Kadri out we will see:

Hyman JT Marner
Marleau Matthews Kappy
AJ Par Nylander
Ennis Goat Brown

Wouldn't mind seeing Moore in the lineup playing with Nylander at #3C but we all know that Brown moves up if Nylander plays #3C.

Hyman JT Marner
Marleau Matthews Kappy
AJ Nylander Brown
Par Goat Ennis

Now is the time to give Moore a longer audition. I have confidence in him but would like a bigger sample size before the playoffs.

Lindholm should either be the#4C (switching out with Goat), or sitting. Ennis and Moore should be playing to give that line some life

Reactions: WildBoy and ToneDog

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Throughout the off-season and into the beginning of the season, I believed Zaitsev would bounce back, because he was dealing with a lot last season, but it appears as though he won't. I think he needs to be moved out this season before the deadline and someone else brought in (easier said than done). I like Hainsey as a depth 6 or 7 d-man, but the problem is Babcock can't seem to leave him there and plays him too far up the line up. I would love to move both out and bring in a top 4 RHD and a good 6-7 that Babcock won't play up the line up. Our worst mistake would be to acquire someone without moving one of either Zaitsev or Hainsey out and have Dermott press-boxed.

I do like Gudas, and think he has more to offer than just grit and physicality, and the cost wouldn't be as high as a Pesce, if that is a price we don't want to pay.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I doubt Kadri isn't back soon. I think he will be back by Saturday the latest against Montreal. So its a moot point to start planning anything long term with the lineup. As happened yesterday, Nylander was slotted between Johnsson and Brown. Not really a big deal for a game or two.

As for Maroon, I don't think St Louis will be subtracting from their lineup this trade deadline, if anything they will be adding. After watching them last night I came away impressed with their lineup. I really liked what I saw in Parayko. What a stud!!!

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Gudas has done a whole lot better than McQuaid and Polak in terms of generating shots and not giving up a billion shots against. I don't think it's fair to lump him with the other 2. Gudas is a good middle pairing defenseman.

I'd be happy with Gudas if the price makes sense... I don't think the price would make sense though and the Flyers probably have no reason to sell low on him.

Do you think he's a good middle pairing defensemen because he is potentially available, or would he actually be a 3-4 on a good contending team?

I think we often get focused on how good a player is because of the potential availability.

I see Gudas as a #5. I don't think he's a middle pairing on a contending team, but for this year he would help the Leafs.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Do you think he's a good middle pairing defensemen because he is potentially available, or would he actually be a 3-4 on a good contending team?

I think we often get focused on how good a player is because of the potential availability.

I see Gudas as a #5. I don't think he's a middle pairing on a contending team, but for this year he would help the Leafs.

He would be a top 4 defenseman on probably the majority of teams. Depends on the team I guess. He's pretty good and has been good for awhile. He's not Polak or McQuaid. He's like Pesce where he doesn't put up points but generates a lot of shots for and doesn't allow many shots against when he's on the ice, all that with plenty of physicality as well.

I would easily pass on him though if the price doesn't make much sense. And without much cap space, it's probably not going to happen either without Hainsey going somewhere else.

If it works out and we can go from Hainsey to Gudas in some capacity --- we've upgraded our roster by a large margin.

Last edited:
Reactions: AppsSyl

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
He would be a top 4 defenseman on probably the majority of teams. Depends on the team I guess. He's pretty good and has been good for awhile. He's not Polak or McQuaid.

I would easily pass on him though if the price doesn't make much sense. And without much cap space, it's probably not going to happen either without Hainsey going somewhere else.

If it works out and we can go from Hainsey to Gudas in some capacity --- we've upgraded our roster by a large margin.

For the leafs to be competitive in the playoffs this season we need both Hainsey and Gudas in the lineup not one or the other. They are exactly the type of dmen that are needed to succeed in the playoffs if played correctly. Right now Hainsey is slotted incorrectly and over used. If there is a way to rid yourself of Gardiner or Zaitsev, this would be the contract and player to be replaced this season.

Trade Gardiner and Zaitsev. Either or as part of a package to Philly for Gudas and Simmonds.

Zaitsev/Gardiner, Brown, Timashov and 2nd

for

Gudas, Simmonds

THEN trade

Zaitsev or Gardiner for picks, prospects. Possibly for Jensen in Detroit.

Reilly-Jensen
Muzzin-Gudas
Dermott- Hainsey

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
For the leafs to be competitive in the playoffs this season we need both Hainsey and Gudas in the lineup not one or the other. They are exactly the type of dmen that are needed to succeed in the playoffs if played correctly. Right now Hainsey is slotted incorrectly and over used. If there is a way to rid yourself of Gardiner or Zaitsev, this would be the contract and player to be replaced this season.

Trade Gardiner and Zaitsev. Either or as part of a package to Philly for Gudas and Simmonds.

Zaitsev/Gardiner, Brown, Timashov and 2nd

for

Gudas, Simmonds

THEN trade

Zaitsev or Gardiner for picks, prospects. Possibly for Jensen in Detroit.

Reilly-Jensen
Muzzin-Gudas
Dermott- Hainsey

Oh god... no thanks.

Imagine trading Gardiner in order to keep Hainsey. It's not an opinion I want to have.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Oh god... no thanks.

Imagine trading Gardiner in order to keep Hainsey. It's not an opinion I want to have.

Ya I can since Gardiner is just as useless and he is probably one of the biggest assets to acquire something good for at the deadline since he's walking.

Gardiner is on the 3rd pairing now. Should tell you all something. And Zaitsev has been much better since being paired with Muzzin instead.

Trade Gardiner along with prospects and pick for something useful (dman) that we can use past this season. And be a better player for us in the playoffs this season.

To me its a no brainer.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Would love to get Stone but obviously the cost would be too much for us.
He would be amazing next to Matthews,He’s an all around amazing player. Big, physical defensively sound very skilled, Best puck stealer in the NHL.
I would actually make
A pitch for him in the offseason since he’s a UFA

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
How does a useless guy become one of biggest assets in acquiring something good?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Hyman Tav Marner
Marleau Matty Kap
Johnson Nylander Brown
Lindholm Goat Moore?

serious question:

Trade for Charlie Coyle. pay a 2020 2nd + prospect and have a decent 3C next year who's a RH shot.

Coyle can play up and down the lineup if needed

But only if it's serious.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
It's kind of remarkable that so many people can think both of those things at the same time.

Or rather, a large portion of the fanbase feels one way and another large portion feels another way, and when people generalize this the persona they use is one of "they". My bet is that there are actually very few people who both feel that Gardiner is a poor defenseman and feel we can get a 1st + a prospect for him at the TDL.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The 4th line has been fairly useless for some time now. I really don't have a lot against adding a banger down there to at least help wear down the other team. It has to be a banger that can play though, cycle, get the puck out etc. I don't think both Gauthier and Lindholm should be in the line up.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The 4th line has been fairly useless for some time now. I really don't have a lot against adding a banger down there to at least help wear down the other team. It has to be a banger that can play though, cycle, get the puck out etc. I don't think both Gauthier and Lindholm should be in the line up.

Especially when Moore has really impressed, and Ennis is available.
Didn't babcock say something about not losing your spot to injury? Or does that only apply to a select few?

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
He would be a top 4 defenseman on probably the majority of teams. Depends on the team I guess. He's pretty good and has been good for awhile. He's not Polak or McQuaid. He's like Pesce where he doesn't put up points but generates a lot of shots for and doesn't allow many shots against when he's on the ice, all that with plenty of physicality as well.

I agree Gudas would be a huge upgrade on Hainsey.
Hainsey's QOC is greater, but his QOT is also much greater. It is arguable which has the greater effect.
Dashboard 1.png

Reactions: SprDaVE

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Especially when Moore has really impressed, and Ennis is available.
Didn't babcock say something about not losing your spot to injury? Or does that only apply to a select few?

They could demote Oz to save cap.

I like Moore but he would also not really add any sandpaper. Now if you're making the case to make some other alterations...

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Moore-Goat-Banger

Rielly-Pesce
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Dermott-McQuaid
Hainsey

Trade a pick for a banger
Trade a pick for McQuaid (they retain)
Trade Kappy(+) for Pesce
Trade Gardiner for a 1st+

Gardiner lost every puck battle last night and he has been awful defensively. I respect that others are likely going to tell me he won't be moved before a playoff run (they're likely right) but I wouldn't want him on my team when going to war (playoffs).

Off-season, Brown goes for picks (to help w/cap and re-stock picks) and maybe we can move Zaitsev as well.

3rd line isn't as offensively dynamic as I would like but they literally just need to win the match up vs other 3rd or 4th lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $210.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs USA