Tradable Flyers at the deadline

JayRosehillMVP

snubbed again
May 28, 2012
Philadelphia
If it comes down to it and we're out of playoff position at the deadline who would you trade? This is a very deep draft, and the best year to tank/load up on picks.
I'd look to trade..
Timmo- high return, give him a shot at a cup
Briere- maybe even higher return (although family situation may restrict trade)
Talbot- similar to Gaustad return? We've got an abundance of 4th liners.

RoDu

May 22, 2003
Winnipeg
Visit site
I'd like to hang on to Talbot, money in the playoffs

Voracek is in everyone's doghouse, but that would probably decrease his value, probably worth hanging on to

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
If it comes down to it and we're out of playoff position at the deadline who would you trade? This is a very deep draft, and the best year to tank/load up on picks.
I'd look to trade..
I'm not trading Talbot. Too good for the $$.

Timmo
Briere
Voracek
Mez (if healthy)
Coburn

Disclaimer: I'm not really for trading Mez/Coburn unless they are part of a trade that brings back a younger D man who will play. Coburn is so frustrating for 4.5...his defense is pretty good, but his offense is just dreadful, 4.5 is a lot for that.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Timonen is probably a sure bet to be traded if were out if it at the deadline, unless management is under the impression that he's not retiring and plans to resign him, which is doubtful IMO.

Briere is another obvious candidate, but his family situation may hinder that considering he has a NMC.

Meszaros, if healthy is another candidate. He could grab a couple draft picks. Probably not a 1st but you never know.

Other than that, id be surprised at anyone else being moved, especially anyone from the top 6 (Voracek) or Coburn.

I think the flyers plan on using Coburn and Schenn to build around for the future, and using any 1sts we have to add young defensemen.

I really think that if we're out if it come the deadline, you'll see this team try to acquire as many 1st as possible. I think Timonen can get you one as well as Briere, should you be able to move them.

I said it in the draft thread, id really like this team to pick the best dman available with the highest pick we have, and then grab the best winger we can get as well as another dman if we, hypothetically, have 3 picks. I really like anthony mantha, but I feel like his value may skyrocket.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Timonen, Briere and Fedotenko. No young players please.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Under almost no circumstances would I trade Coburn.

He's great every year in the playoffs.

Tradable for me would be Timonen, Briere, Fedotenko, and Knuble.

Doubt we get much for the last 2

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
if read is putting up good numbers by the time the deadline is near he will be very attractive.

cheap, productive. and has one more year at that price tag. He could haul in quite a bit.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
if read is putting up good numbers by the time the deadline is near he will be very attractive.

cheap, productive. and has one more year at that price tag. He could haul in quite a bit.
Which begs the question, if Read is putting up numbers why does he go in favor of Voracek?

I think everyone thinks we will lose read because we won't be able to pay to keep him, which is why we want to deal him...but how about dealing someone else instead?

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Which begs the question, if Read is putting up numbers why does he go in favor of Voracek?

I think everyone thinks we will lose read because we won't be able to pay to keep him, which is why we want to deal him...but how about dealing someone else instead?

This.

Read has shown IMO to be more than a trading chip. There's no reason besides age that Voracek should be given priority over him. He's shown me more than jake.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
This.

Read has shown IMO to be more than a trading chip. There's no reason besides age that Voracek should be given priority over him. He's shown me more than jake.

Unless you get blown away with a trade offer for Read. I think we would be better suited hanging on to him for another year at least.

Edit: Is Read's current deal a 2 year or 3? If so that could change things a bit.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The Read / Voracek question is a balance of value to the team vs trade value. I'd think Voracek's trade value would be pretty low now that he's being paid up to his projected talent level and well below what he's showing right now. Likewise, there is little reason to consider trading Schenn (even beyond the brother argument).

Timonen would be the top chip Holmgren can dangle at the TDL. Hopefully, too, the shortened season will mean that even more teams will be on the playoff bubble and are ready to give a little more for what Timonen would provide. Then again, I'd bet that 1st round picks will be extra valued, so few GMs will be tossing them around.

BavelPure

Aug 24, 2005
I'd look to trade..

I don't think many teams would want a 35yr old Briere with 3 years at 6.5m.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
This.

Indeed, he's been one of the few forwards that is constantly dangerous. Sure, he's had games where he didn't produce or get into a lot of scoring chances, but those have often been games where neither has anyone else. As far as Voracek is concerned, other than the playoff games and a couple here and there I haven't been able to watch Flyers games last season, so I can't say how much better he played. I remember him being quite good and certainly better than this, but I don't think he's playing that bad right now. He just doesn't have anyone to give him support, and I think that's the biggest difference right now. But again, he's not a dominant player by himself, and you could see this season from his play in the KHL, as well. So I don't think this is just a funk he's in. Sure, he's going to pick up his play most probably, but I wouldn't expect much more than what we're getting right now.

I definitely wouldn't trade Read, but probably would Timonen, the only reason being he's at the end of his career, so if he brings in good assets, I'd be OK with it. But he's been one of the best players on the team throughout these first games, so as much as I thought he was overpaid in the past, I'd be a bit sad to see him go.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I don't think many teams would want a 35yr old Briere with 3 years at 6.5m.
2 more years at 6.5, but only owed 5 mil over those 2 years. He's also a lock for 20 points in the playoffs...

If you can fit the cap hit, you can't get a better finisher than him in the POs.

He's pretty valuable.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
2 more years at 6.5, but only owed 5 mil over those 2 years. He's also a lock for 20 points in the playoffs...

If you can fit the cap hit, you can't get a better finisher than him in the POs.

He's pretty valuable.

Couldn't a team acquire him at the deadline and then buy him during the offseason and only owe a couple of million? I would imagine if it's a big market team they could possibly do this with no worries.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Timonen, Briere and Fedotenko. No young players please.

Under almost no circumstances would I trade Coburn.

He's great every year in the playoffs.

Tradable for me would be Timonen, Briere, Fedotenko, and Knuble.

Doubt we get much for the last 2

this. i feel like i'm going absolutely nuts right now. people talking about moving Coburn, Read and Voracek? Why in god's name would you want to do that unless you get something that makes the team considerably better now and for the next 5-8 years. 8 games into a season the whole team is playing bad and fans already what to ship out quality players that were considered part of the core less then a month ago. i mean this off-season people were talking about how good these players are/will be for a long time. Coburn was labeled as a solid number 2 who's only 27 yo, voracek is a 50 pt guy and most were saying that with the right line-mates he'd be a 60pt guy at only 23, read a promising player coming off a great rookie year that's extremely versatile and still young at 26. i really don't get how someones perceptions of a situation or player can change so quickly. i don't know if all fan bases are like this but this is beyond ridiculous.

the team will suck for the year and consequently get a solid draft position and you sell the vets to get whatever picks you can for them. moving any of the young guys even if they suck for the entire year is dumb.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I'd keep Giroux, Hartnell, Voracek, Couturier, Talbot, Read and Bryz. Do what you can with the rest.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I don't know what Kimmo and Briere will fetch since they both have NMCs. They would choose who to go to and that would be further restricted by who has cap space. Briere has 2 years left and he's declining. I would say Giroux, Coburn and Hartnell are safe. Everyone else can be traded.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

We're not getting a 1st round pick for Talbot. He's not good enough on faceoffs, and no one really believes he is a 19-goal scorer.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
I don't know what Kimmo and Briere will fetch since they both have NMCs. They would choose who to go to and that would be further restricted by who has cap space. Briere has 2 years left and he's declining. I would say Giroux, Coburn and Hartnell are safe. Everyone else can be traded.

Blah. Giving up on the youth is a bad idea.

JayB

May 30, 2012
I was opening this kind of thread too.

Its very deep draft coming, why not do a push there?
We need defender and goalscorer too but with these pucks we are not get that this deadline.

How about this:

Briere - 1st
Voracek - "Ryan"
Fedotenko - 2-3 rounder
Talbot - 1-2 rounder
Timonen - 1st ( If going to play next year it is only rental)
Knuble - 2-3 rounder

If we could have like three first rounders aprox in 5-15 picks we could do some big choices for our future.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I was opening this kind of thread too.

Its very deep draft coming, why not do a push there?
We need defender and goalscorer too but with these pucks we are not get that this deadline.

How about this:

Briere - 1st
Voracek - "Ryan"
Fedotenko - 2-3 rounder
Talbot - 1-2 rounder
Timonen - 1st ( If going to play next year it is only rental)
Knuble - 2-3 rounder

If we could have like three first rounders aprox in 5-15 picks we could do some big choices for our future.

Feds and Knuble are at most 5th round. They really dont provide much. Talbot is one of those guys who fetch a 3rd and maybe a decent prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad