Proposal: Toughness to the Leafs

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
The Leafs don't need new players for toughness. Take a look at what Detroit has done this year so far. Their players are playing tougher, sticking up for one another and overall playing with grit. Albeit it seemed like it took quite a few years for this group of guys to start playing like this, but it can be done. I'm not talking about players like Abdelkader or Witkowski either. Players like Larkin and Mantha are showing grit now as well.
Hahaha

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The Leafs don't need new players for toughness. Take a look at what Detroit has done this year so far. Their players are playing tougher, sticking up for one another and overall playing with grit. Albeit it seemed like it took quite a few years for this group of guys to start playing like this, but it can be done. I'm not talking about players like Abdelkader or Witkowski either. Players like Larkin and Mantha are showing grit now as well.
Lol wait til you get to the playoffs and Marner, Nylander, Kapanen get run over again with no response

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Can I interest you in a slightly used Jonathon Ericsson? Great at clearing nets and can move the puck fairly well. Just needs a speedy partner with him.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Leafs should be targeting AP. The obvious comparable is the McDonagh trade.

McDonagh + Miller

For

Namestnikov Hajek Howden 1st + 2nd

So cancel out Miller for Namestnikov + Hajek(small add)

Howden + 1st + 2nd for McDonagh.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
No no they don’t want him they want gudbranson. They don’t need some European import when a good ol’ Canadian boy could be had for the Mecca of Canada
Funny enough, on Tim & Sid, Kyper was asked about Guds but he said the Canucks want to keep him around to help protect their own kids.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Funny enough, on Tim & Sid, Kyper was asked about Guds but he said the Canucks want to keep him around to help protect their own kids.

Gudas is a very underrated D, people even mentioning Polak in the same breath need to give their heads a shake. Polak was a bottom pairing D, Gudas is a solid top 4 D. Simmonds does what he always does.....score goals and physical when needed. Simmonds is a UFA and Gudas has 1.5 years term.

Reactions: Tripod

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
There are not many Simmonds types per OP request, guy who is not a pure enforcer but effective as one if needed.
Most don't have enuf talent to keep up w/today's NHL.
Some like Kreider are not enforcers per say but are enuf of a bull that it is not easy to play against, and in Kreider's case, that assumes he has not blown by with his speed.

Kreider is unavailable.
Fs Beleskey and McLeod, and Ds McQuaid and Smith are options from NY.
would like to see some future(s)/expiring contracts to improve cap
modest return ok for these
we would prefer promote from within

feel free to suggest price

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Gudas is a very underrated D, people even mentioning Polak in the same breath need to give their heads a shake. Polak was a bottom pairing D, Gudas is a solid top 4 D. Simmonds does what he always does.....score goals and physical when needed. Simmonds is a UFA and Gudas has 1.5 years term.
They were talking about the other Guds (Gudbranson).

Reactions: Hunter368

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
yeah what the leafs need is more Martins and Polaks.

leafs fans are insane.

Reactions: Mork

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Gudas is a borderline top-4 at best.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
A package of Simmonds + Gudas to Toronto actually makes too much sense from my perspective. Fills the Leafs biggest needs without huge contracts coming back and Simmonds not even on the books next season. Ideally you look to keep him but that's likely not feasible but he can definitely provide a lot of help down the stretch. Just not sure what the return ask would be.

Reactions: ACC1224

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Leafs need a 3rd/4th line energy player who can skate and hit. And potentially drop the gloves if need be. (Ennis Replacement)

Nick Ritchie
Miles Wood
Kyle Clifford
Marcus Foligno
Lawson Crouse
Etc...

Are some names that come to mind.

Leafs also need a bruiser on the back end (Oziganov Replacement)

Robert Bortuzzo
Radko Gudas
Adam McQuaid
Eric Gubrandson
etc...

Are some players that come to mind.

Any of those players available?

You can absolutely have Crouse, but he won't fight, does hit, but not overly.

Not sure about that scoring thing yet either.

We need scoring, so the only people I'd really be interested in are probably considered untouchable. Kapanen and Johnson mostly, but I'd take Brown. I'd take Kadri but that seems like the antithesis of what this trade is for.

Johnson and Marleau for Crouse + something small if the situation is that Marleau retires next year?

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Lol wait til you get to the playoffs and Marner, Nylander, Kapanen get run over again with no response
They never got run over in the prior two years. "Lol". Why bother posting if you don't know the topic....at all.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Can I interest you in a slightly used Jonathon Ericsson? Great at clearing nets and can move the puck fairly well. Just needs a speedy partner with him.

That's what Holland thought when he signed him to that terrible contract. You've watched Ericsson long enough to know that was a major mis-step by Holland. The Leafs have a long summer ahead of them cap wise last thing we need is Ericsson. Sorry.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
A package of Simmonds + Gudas to Toronto actually makes too much sense from my perspective. Fills the Leafs biggest needs without huge contracts coming back and Simmonds not even on the books next season. Ideally you look to keep him but that's likely not feasible but he can definitely provide a lot of help down the stretch. Just not sure what the return ask would be.

It does. It's the poor man's McDonagh/Miller from last year.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Nm
You can absolutely have Crouse, but he won't fight, does hit, but not overly.

Not sure about that scoring thing yet either.

We need scoring, so the only people I'd really be interested in are probably considered untouchable. Kapanen and Johnson mostly, but I'd take Brown. I'd take Kadri but that seems like the antithesis of what this trade is for.

Johnson and Marleau for Crouse + something small if the situation is that Marleau retires next year?
NMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad