Tough goaltender decision?

DRReclusive

Feb 7, 2006
White Rock
Wow!

Thanks for all the help guys. There is alot of mixed opinions here, and that still leaves me some what undecided, but I can honestly say that it's down to Lundqvist or Ward. I have a feeling Toivonen is going to be very good to, but with King Henry winning a Gold Medal and Cam Ward hoisting the Stanley Cup, picking Toivonen before them might be a little premature.

Canuck Flop

Aug 9, 2006
1A Lundqvist
1B Toivonen

3 Ward

Ward was phenomenal in the playoffs, but remember he was pulled twice during their run. And even though he came up big when the torch was there, he now has to do it for an extended regular season. His numbers during the year were not good, under .890 save percentage with Carolina's defense? With any defense, that's not good enough year-over-year.

I'd only put Toivonen at 1B b/c of his injury, and also now that Rask is there to push him a little.

DRReclusive

Feb 7, 2006
White Rock
Your right about Ward during the regular season. Ludqvist was definently the man throughout the post season, but it takes a very special goalie to shut down the opposition when it counts.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Seriously, how the **** can you rate Cam Ward, the Conn Smythe Trophy, and Stanley Cup Winner that far behind Lundqvist, and Toivonen.

Those two might NEVER even make it to the Finals. Jeez guys, give your heads a shake.

and Ward might never make it back either. in fact, he might never have a good NHL season in his career! he might have already peaked!

:sarcasm:

see, other people can speculate too.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
It would have been Lunquist easily until he melted down in the playoffs. Obviously he proved he could handle big game pressure in the Olympics, but still, for this reason I give Ward the edge.

Ward
Lundquist

Toivonen

Bacchus

Nov 11, 2002
Dickes B
Visit site
Wow!

Thanks for all the help guys. There is alot of mixed opinions here, and that still leaves me some what undecided, but I can honestly say that it's down to Lundqvist or Ward. I have a feeling Toivonen is going to be very good to, but with King Henry winning a Gold Medal and Cam Ward hoisting the Stanley Cup, picking Toivonen before them might be a little premature.

Don't buy that PO-meltdown crap. He was hurt, the whole team broke apart. He has proven more than once, that he can handle the pressure in the PO's.

That said, Ward has proven that as well. We'll see how he handles the regular season, but I have no doubt, it will be good.

It's between these two IMO - I couldn't decide which one, though.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
1A Toivonen
1B Lundqvist

3 Ward

It's really a tough call between Toivonen and Lundqvist for me. I think Toivonen has a Vezina shot this year with that improved defence and team in front of him, he's set to breakout although Thomas may get his share of games as well. On the other hand, Lundqvist was a Vezina finalist last year and has proved the most. IMO Ward is going to be overrated around here because of that run he went on last year. He's a good goalie, no way I'll deny that but he's a clear third for me on this list.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
Don't buy that PO-meltdown crap. He was hurt, the whole team broke apart. He has proven more than once, that he can handle the pressure in the PO's.

That said, Ward has proven that as well. We'll see how he handles the regular season, but I have no doubt, it will be good.

It's between these two IMO - I couldn't decide which one, though.

Exactly, I don't really understand how some people are ranking Toivonen ahead of either of them.

Last edited:

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
You have to go with Lundqvist, since it's your safest bet. Maybe the two other could become a bit better than him, but both could disappoint too, which won't happen with Lundqvist...

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
Very convincing!!

I think I am back to square one again. :sarcasm:

Haha, Well. Toivonen in my opinion will be the best goalie in the one of the best league during his reign in the NHL, maybe even the best. He has lightning fast reflex's and is extremely flexible. He posted great stats last year with a not so good Boston team... look at the additions they have made on Defense... Toivonen should post great stats for you next season and the many seasons to come.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
I think Lundqvist should be undisputed #1 at this point, people seem to get caught up in his last 10 games of the year where he was hurt.

Lundqvist

Ward
Toivonen

I agree with Buffalo87. Ward had a great run and could be solid but he is still as unproven as Toivonen in my books. Lundqvist has had a very solid regular season and was nominated for the Vezina. Lundqvist should be spectacular again along with a solid squad in NYR.

DRReclusive

Feb 7, 2006
White Rock
Well... I do like the fact that Toivonen comes from Finland. Those Finnish goalies sure are bred to be incredible goal tenders..

Sigh... I had a feeling that this would be a very hard decision, but I guess in a way thats a good thing, since all three of these goalies should be allstars. Should be...

NeonDion

Jun 21, 2006
and he's apparently undersized. despite being the same size as cam ward and just an inch shorter than toivonen.

yeah

Sorry about that TSN had him listed as 5'9" for most of the year.
But honestly Sweden's team was stacked for the Olympics.

If I were to pick any of the goalies right now as a GM I'd go with Ward. Fantasy sports are completely different. If it's all about the regular season and who's going to post the most wins over the next couple of years. I'd still go with Ward simply because Carolina has a good team that has a balance of experienced guys in Stilman and Brind'Amour as well as young stars such as Ward, Staal, and Jack Johnson.

While the I'm glad the Rangers are alive again, I still think that Carolina has a better chance at this point of building a dynasty. Boston will have a tough time dragging their way out of the Basement for a while.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Sorry about that TSN had him listed as 5'9" for most of the year.

I have no idea why TSN would ever have him listed at 5'9. He wasn't 5'9 when he was drafted or anything. he's a normal sized goalie.

this question though...I don't think you can ultimately go wrong with any of these guys. Toivonen and Ward are more "unproven" than Lundqvist because they didn't play at a high level for as long as he did, but it seems pretty likely that they'll both do just fine in that category once they get their chance. Just like it's pretty likely (in my opinion) that Lundqvist will do just fine in the playoffs as long as he's not trying to play injured.

so yeah, maybe the best idea is to look at the teams and decide which team you think is going to be the best, and therefor help their goalie out the most.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
I agree with Buffalo87. Ward had a great run and could be solid but he is still as unproven as Toivonen in my books. Lundqvist has had a very solid regular season and was nominated for the Vezina. Lundqvist should be spectacular again along with a solid squad in NYR.

I would love to see your "books". How anyone can say Ward is as unproven as Toivonen is beyond me. This kid won the stanley cup and Conn Smythe, I don`t care how old he is, that is proven.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad