Proposal: Toronto - Washington

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
grubauer has records per year of

13-1-2
22-13-3
23-13-5
19-5-1
13-13-2
27-17-5

and then the nhl this year. where does that only get a 4th?

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Grubauer is worth more than a 4th. Why on earth are we taking a cap dump as well? We'll just keep him as insurance in case Holtby went down. He's a good young tender.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013

those are projected lines right now for hershey, the first line isnt changing. thats where the top prospects are. second line you have travis boys who put up 21 goals and 32 assists last year centering nathan walker (17g 21a) and chris bourqe (30g 50a). third line you zach zill (9g 13a) centering ryan bourque (11g, 19a) and paul carey (13g,18a)
then you have the big dudes on the 4th line

so where does froese and his 2 goals and 3 assists in 56 games for the leafs go?

While I think this deal is bad for Washington and they have no need for Froese, he would probably be Hershey's best centre. Just like he was for the Marlies.

Froese is pretty useless in the NHL but he's an excellent AHL player.

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
While I think this deal is bad for Washington and they have no need for Froese, he would probably be Hershey's best centre. Just like he was for the Marlies.

Froese is pretty useless in the NHL but he's an excellent AHL player.

You must not be familiar with Hershey roster then

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013

I've watched every Marlie game vs Hershey, including the playoffs. Nylander would be first line on that team. When Froese was with the Marlies, he was their best centre, ahead of Nylander, hence the promotion.

Froese wasn't very good in the NHL but he is an excellent AHL player. Much like TJ Brennan (Eddie Shore winner) and Mark Arcobello ( incredible in the A, not that great in the NHL).

If you're talking about the philosophy of the farm team and the direction they want to go, then that's a different story.

I think Froese would be the best centre on that team and if not, it would be very close. Hershey would be a better team with him and he would certainly make that lineup.

As stated many times in this thread, there is definitely no need for him on the Caps.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
so..the Caps are being asked to trade a starter upside young nhl goalie for a good ahl player and a 4th? why would they do that?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

I don't get this at all. Hershey roasted the Marlies in the playoffs. Where was Froese. I'm really struggling to figure out why he was included in this deal at all and thats the least ridiculous thing about this proposal. Whether Froese would he Hersheys best C or not is academic, Hershey is doing just fine and Froese is worthless in a trade for NHLers.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
I don't get this at all. Hershey roasted the Marlies in the playoffs. Where was Froese. I'm really struggling to figure out why he was included in this deal at all and thats the least ridiculous thing about this proposal. Whether Froese would he Hersheys best C or not is academic, Hershey is doing just fine and Froese is worthless in a trade for NHLers.

Froese wasn't eligible for the playoffs. He was a Leaf all year. Even if he was eligible, he got hurt at the end of the season and wouldn't have played anyways.

It's funny that you say that Hershey roasted the Marlies in the playoffs (which they did) because Froese was the exact player the Leafs could have used in that series. Had he played, I think it would have been a lot closer.

I've stated that it's a dumb trade but I was just responding to the poster who said "where would he fit in for Hershey?".

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Please stop making trade proposals.

Mods should have never deleted my "The All Encompassing Mad Brills Trade Thread".

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
so we give up a 4th for a young backup (leafs probably want a vet), then we get to work out a deal giving vegas another pick/prospect not to take him?

or we just sign enroth/ramo and not give up multiple assets?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Caps trade a good backup for nothing? Why????

Is it because toronto?

OP probably figures vegas will take him in the expansion draft, which to be fair is very possible.

doesnt fit the needs of either team really. Toronto isnt looking to give up assets for someone they can't protect either

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
grubauer has records per year of

13-1-2
22-13-3
23-13-5
19-5-1
13-13-2
27-17-5

and then the nhl this year. where does that only get a 4th?

Lack got a 3rd last year, Reimer got a 4th...the goalie market is completely dead and I doubt anyone would pay up what caps fans would expect.

Grubauer should be exactly was vegas needs though. personally I think they end up with Fleury-Grubauer-M.Subban

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Lack got a 3rd last year, Reimer got a 4th...the goalie market is completely dead and I doubt anyone would pay up what caps fans would expect.

Grubauer should be exactly was vegas needs though. personally I think they end up with Fleury-Grubauer-M.Subban

The market for backup rentals is dead. Lack was a 27 year old with a .917 sv% in just 82 career NHL games and was coming off a thoroughly unimpressive playoff stint. He was traded with one year left on his contract before being a UFA. Reimer was a 27 year old pending UFA traded at the deadline who'd put up a respectable .918 to that point, but had a very spotty past.

Grubauer is a 24 year old with a .921 sv% over 42 NHL games and has three years of team control remaining. Those guys aren't good comps. A better one would be Martin Jones, who as a 25 year old with a .923 sv% over 34 NHL games and two years of team control was a big part of the Lucic trade, and then went to the Sharks for a 1st and a prospect. If Grubauer puts up another season with a sv% in the .920s, I don't see why his value wouldn't be in the same neighborhood as Jones' was a year ago.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
No point in trading Grubauer at this juncture. He fills a distinct role on a contending team. The Capitals need a back-up goaltender, and Grubauer fills that and offers far more upside should Holtby get hurt than any goaltenders left on the market.

The concept of trading Grubauer can be broached again before the expansion draft (as there's currently a pretty decent chance Grubauer could be picked up by Vegas). However, the return would have to be much higher than what's being discussed here. While the buyers market for goaltenders leading into the expansion draft will suppress prices some, look at the returns other similar goaltenders have fetched in the past few years. Based on the returns for guys like Martin Jones, Cory Schneider, and Frederik Andersen, Grubauer could likely command a late 1st on a typical trade market. In the lead-up to the expansion draft prices will fall a bit, but the Capitals shouldn't consider moving him for anything less than a 2nd. Otherwise it makes sense to hang onto him. Even if they end up losing Grubauer for nothing to Vegas, that still has value in terms of preventing Vegas from acquiring other exposed assets (such as Orlov).

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
when Froese was not on the scratch list, he played mostly just pk, he was a better pk player than Winnik. (more pk time) . And Winnik are Caps very pleased with so I think the poster want to do another deal.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
To Toronto: Grubauer

To Washington: 2017 4th, Froese

Leafs work out a deal with Vegas to not take Grubauer later.

I don't see any reason why the Capswould consider this. Froese has zero value to a team like them. Why would they downgrade jjust to grab a 4th?

We will probably sign Enroth...or make a cap for cap trade like Lupul/Niemi or Pavelic/Equal cap type deal. (Not saying Dallas or the Jets do these...just examples)

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Meh, wouldn't move him for a prospect/pick unless the pick is a 1st round one. He most likely doesn't return that but i wouldn't move him for a 2nd round pick. Rather take my chances that LV doesn't pick him in the expansion draft, and even if they did, Caps would get to keep Johansson or Orlov. Much rather keep an reliable backup so that Holtby doesn't need to play 73 regular season games again.

thecapsfan

Sep 3, 2012
Basically the Caps give up an excellent back up, who's only getting better and has the potential to be a decent starting NHL goalie for an ahl player, and a pick that'll probably amount to a player who never even sees the action on the ice of an NHL arena, while the arena actually has a crowd.

It's pretty well established that Washington hangs up the phone on Toronto since there is no reason why they do this at this time. I'm not a moderator so I don't have the power, but my vote would be to close this thread, since the facts are pretty well established etc.

On the bright side this might be the first thread that's not under the Capitals section that I've seen (at least in a while) where Grubbier is actually publicly getting some of the recognition he deserves. Also to the poster above Grubauer isn't in the same tier as Schneider, however he very well could be, if not soon will possibly be the same tier as Jones and Andersen.

Also please either give your trade proposals a little bit of thought and make better ones, or just stop making these trade proposals all together. I'm starting to wonder if your making trade proposals is helping you figuratively try and get rid of an itch you can't scratch.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad