Proposal: Toronto - Seattle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Seattle Kraken
Alex Kerfoot
Pierre Engvall
Timothy Liljegren
Leafs’ third-round draft pick of 2023

Toronto Maple Leafs
Jared McCann
Jeremy Lauzen

Leafs had McCann, they felt he and Kerfoot were interchangeable from a value perspective. Not sure why that would change now...nevermind adding Liljegren and a 3rd. Lauzon is decent but don't see the logic from Toronto end /seems rich

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
as stated above Mccann was originally acquired so kraken would take one of mccann/kerfoot leaving the other as 3c

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Leafs had McCann, they felt he and Kerfoot were interchangeable from a value perspective.

I don't really think we can say that. The only thing we know is that they valued Kerfoot more than Hallander and a 7th, and Holl more than either of them.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I don't really think we can say that. The only thing we know is that they valued Kerfoot more than Hallander and a 7th, and Holl more than either of them.

They chose not to insentivise Seattle by offering a pick to lay off McCann when they could and would have had there been a discernable difference in their eyes for fulfillment of the same role ( secondary scoring/3rd line c in a pinch) .

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
They chose not to insentivise Seattle by offering a pick to lay off McCann when they could and would have had there been a discernable difference in their eyes for fulfillment of the same role ( secondary scoring/3rd line c in a pinch) .

All reports this off season were that Seattle's asks were ridiculous so I'm not sure how much we can read into that.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Seattle Kraken
Alex Kerfoot
Pierre Engvall
Timothy Liljegren
Leafs’ third-round draft pick of 2023

Toronto Maple Leafs
Jared McCann
Jeremy Lauzen

As much as both sides seem to hate it, I think the value is not bad.

As someone who's home team is now Seattle, I would rather keep McCann and Lauzon.

Last season McCann was 24, Kerfoot was 26. Players are similar at this stage, but if one of them is going to break out and take the next step, I feel McCann is much more likely to be that player.

Lauzon brings a physical element I think Seattle needs and was only 23 last season, and his development has been mostly positive the past 3 seasons, while Liljegren was only 21, he seems to be freefalling down Toronto's depth chart. While much too early to give up on him, and he may turn into a fine player in the league, currently I believe Lauzon will have a brighter NHL career .

A late 3rd in 2023 is a longshot to be an impact asset.

Engvall's inclusion evens out the value, and this really is a wildcard imo. He's a player that looks somewhat primed for a breakout, which is probably why Toronto fans dislike it so much.

For me, I currently don't see the gamble on Engvall is enough to make up for the potential difference between Lauzon and McCann, and Liljegren and Kerfoot, especially given Seattle's timeline and all the players ages. But for everyone that hates the value, I don't think it is as far off as you are making it out to be.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think the Leafs will be tradding Liljegren any time soon. He has had an excellent camp so far. He will likely make the team. McCann, for the Leafs, was just insurance for the expansion draft. While Lauzon is a nice player, he doesn't bring anything the Leafs don't have already. Also, the Leafs won't just send a third round pick. So in a nutshell, it is a poor trade for the Leafs.

Last edited:

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
If Toronto valued McCann more than Kerfoot, they would have protected him. I doubt they move Kerfoot+ for him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad