GDT: Toronto @ New Jersey - Thursday 7pm

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Another thing to watch will be Robertsons scoring ability on his offwing.

Not sure how much playmaking you're going to get from Holmberg or Patches.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Reactions: horner

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hoping for the same effort we saw from last night's second and third periods.

Will need to tighten up the defensive gap. Wonder if we struggle with the Devils speed?

Looking forward to seeing Hildeby (hopefully).

Almost a certainty?

Devils going to be coming out hot?

Seems like an obvious move.

I don't mind Stolarz again, he was great last night and didn't have too heavy a work load.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Not sure why you wouldn’t get Lily in for Timmins as well
Based on news posted on twitter they are actively trying to trade him. If so, not putting him in the lineup makes sense.

Really don't get Stolarz starting again. Bad move no matter the result
We'll see. He looked good in preseason and again last night. My guess is the sport science guys, coach, goaltender coach and player discussed it and made the decision together.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Would like to see a change on D tonight, but will take McMann in for Reaves.

Hopefully the team is more crisp and not as sloppy as last night.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yeah I really would prefer Domi back with Matthews

Knies-Matthews-Domi
Robertson-Tavares-Marner
Patches-Holmberg-Nylander

Interesting top 9. Could work. I like Robertson playing with Marner feel that could give us some depth scoring. Last night it felt like no one could get Robertson the puck in a spot he had a clean shot like in the pre-season. Some of that is on Nick to find those chances but I still think if we put him in situations to score, he will score.

I disliked that he wasn't on the ice at all in the final 3 minutes when we needed a goal. Our big boys hadn't scored all night, why not let Nick replace someone? Instead I saw Patches out there replacing someone which no offense to him, I think Robertson is better.
I like this a lot. Robertson needs to get scoring opportunities, like this really needs to happen ASAP. And after the way Matthews and Domi played together, having M&M together again is something that seems like a complete waste and I don't understand it at all. This top 6 could potentially score a ton of goals while holding their own defensively, and Nylander always finds a way to score no matter who he plays with, this just makes too much sense not to try it.

Reactions: Zacman

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
The Leafs may very well win tonight, I think NJ is still down 2 of their top 4 D-men, at least they were last week.

However, this is one of the few teams I think legitimately is better than the Leafs top to bottom. Not only would a win be good, but a good overall game.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I don't like McMann-JT-Willy, mainly because McMann and JT both have tunnelvision.

Meaning you have your 2nd best goal scorer with 2 guys who can't make a play.

Ideally I'd have JT with a pure passer (Marner or Domi) and a heavy forchecker.
I don't agree, we had our best stretch of the season with that line on fire last year, and McMann had his most success there as well. Losing McMann before the playoffs was a huge blow to the balance of our lineup.

Although, I think Marner took reps with those two which may have worked better

Reactions: arso40

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Would like to see a change on D tonight, but will take McMann in for Reaves.

Hopefully the team is more crisp and not as sloppy as last night.
Hopefully, but I am fully prepared for the first 15 games to have some slow and sloppy play as the team adjusts to the new systems. Hoping they can be a few games above .500 through that stretch and then get into high gear for a nice run. So many factors in play though (like a healthy goaltender, etc.).

Reactions: Zacman

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Good to see Berube is calling this crap out immediately. It's been a core problem for years now that this team has an inability to get greasy goals or is willing to fight to get inside the paint enough. It was also why Dubas went out and acquired a guy like ROR, but it was too little too late given the way the team and coaching staff had played for years.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Good to see Berube is calling this crap out immediately. It's been a core problem for years now that this team has an inability to get greasy goals or is willing to fight to get inside the paint enough. It was also why Dubas went out and acquired a guy like ROR, but it was too little too late given the way the team and coaching staff had played for years

I’m getting more confidence in Bérubé

Question being can he fix it?

Reactions: rumman and Zacman

mogs

Jan 11, 2007
Jasper AB
Question for anyone who watches games on the Sportsnet app and Chromecast. Does it get super laggy and drop connection? It works fine watching on my phone or laptop, but when I cast it to my tv it is delayed and laggy and will drop at times. It's not the Chromecast because it works fine with YouTube or other apps. I just assume it's Sportsnets terrible app. It works as fast as Jason Allison in the shootout.

Reactions: Metroid

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Question for anyone who watches games on the Sportsnet app and Chromecast. Does it get super laggy and drop connection? It works fine watching on my phone or laptop, but when I cast it to my tv it is delayed and laggy and will drop at times. It's not the Chromecast because it works fine with YouTube or other apps. I just assume it's Sportsnets terrible app. It works as fast as Jason Allison in the shootout.
The native SN app is definitely a better choice, smoother buffering and 1080p resolution vs 720p on Chromecast. But even the native app isn't without its problems.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I’d have liked Liljegren in for Timmins as it makes sense to swap for a b2b, but whatever

Stolarz starting is a bit….weird, I’d have given it to Hildeby, but I guess since it’s his hometown that’s why they wanna give it to him

Reaves out mcmann in is good, altough reaves was good last game, mcmann still should be given a chance to play.

Reactions: horner and arso40

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

Good to see Berube is calling this crap out immediately. It's been a core problem for years now that this team has an inability to get greasy goals or is willing to fight to get inside the paint enough. It was also why Dubas went out and acquired a guy like ROR, but it was too little too late given the way the team and coaching staff had played for years.

I like Berube and think he will be good, but I saw plenty of blue print clips of Keefe telling the players they need to go to the net and need to do these things. What I am unconvinced of is that Berube telling them to do it makes it happen consistently.

And it's not like they never do it. Just on the PP it's like they revert to this soft skilled hockey. If they just kept cycling teams on the PP like they did 5v5 they would open up so many lanes for themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad